Master’s in Urban Governance
As a product of a new collaboration between the Department of Public Administration (Erasmus School of Social and Behavioral Sciences, ESSB) and the Institute of Housing and Urban Development Studies (IHS), this programme is a specialisation within the MSc in Public Administration of the Erasmus University Rotterdam.
What will I learn?
Cities are complex, challenging and fast-growing. They are major economic and development drivers that generate vast amounts of wealth and are home to more than half of the world’s population (estimated to be closer to 70% by 2050). They are at the heart of cultural, social and political innovation and play a key role in discovering answers to social issues such as migration, social segregation, poverty, climate change, health, unemployment and terrorism. Sustainable governance policies are recognized as essential components of guaranteeing the well-being of all people. Students will learn a variety of skills including the following:
- How to develop and implement innovative policies.
- How to involve the community in urban planning and decision-making.
- Employing cross-jurisdiction solutions to land and environmental issues.
- Driving sustainable economic development.
- Overseeing the development of international, public and nonprofit organizations.
- Analyzing urban governance issues and managing/designing urban governance processes.
What can I look forward to, in this programme?
- Attending courses and lectures taught by leading scholars from a wide range of disciplines in the field of urban governance.
- Interactive urban governance labs where you can solve real-life examples of urban governance issues.
- Creating your own research (thesis).
- Local field visits such as the Port of Rotterdam, Housing Associations, Municipality of Rotterdam etc.
How will I learn?
The programme includes a wide range of courses, seminars, working group sessions, and guest lectures by internationally recognized scholars. You will be able to apply the theories and research methods you learn throughout the programme by conducting your own thesis research in which you will examine an aspect(s) of urban governance issues.
What can I expect at the end of my studies?
By the end of their studies, students will acquire the theoretical and practical skills to be qualified, confident, and prepared for their future careers. This will all be backed up by an internationally-recognized MSc in Public Administration from Erasmus University Rotterdam.
Want to learn more about the programme, where to apply, course dates, scholarship opportunities and more? Submit your inquiry and join us here in Rotterdam!
For more information visit www.ihs.nl
About the School
Founded in 1958, IHS is the international institute for housing and urban development of Erasmus University Rotterdam founded. For more than 60 years, it has been our mission to develop human and inst ... Read More