The Master’s degree study program "European Studies” is carried out by the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence in collaboration with The Centre for European and Transition Studies. This inter-disciplinary academic program offers students the possibility to study European economic, political and legal space, to acquire deeper knowledge of European integration process and to analyze EU functional principles, procedures and major policies beyond disciplinary boundaries. The Program allows specialization in EU law, trade, energy issues, migration, regional and social dimensions, and external relations.
- The Program also provides studies in the international environment of lingual and cultural diversity by attracting both international students and lecturers.
- In addition to interdisciplinary EU thematic course, also French language course is included in the program.
- During studies, students are offered to participate in national and international academic conferences and publish the results of their researchers.
- Students are also offered to participate in EU supported research projects.
- The Program offers and encourages interdisciplinary, interactive, and innovative teaching methods which are characterized by group works, study trips, practical case analyses, and discussions lead by internationally recognized domestic and foreign experts with comprehensive academic and professional experience in EU matters, thus strongly ensuring both theoretical and professionally practical aspects during studies.
Qualification awarded: Master of Social Sciences in European Studies.
High level national and international academics and practitioners with extensive experience in the relevant areas from Latvia, EU institutions, partner universities in Europe and overseas represent teaching staff of the program.
The program comprises participation in international Mobility Scheme:
- Brussels and Luxemburg- visit European Union institutions and NATO. Briefing by experts from EU Council, Parliament, EC Economic and Social Committees, Eurostat, European Court of Justice, participation in the discussions on themes which are currently on the agenda of the EU and its Member States. One week intensive seminar – equal to 3 ECTS credits.
- Frankfurt, European Central Bank, and Hachenburg, Bundesbank’s Applied Sciences University. A combined study visit with briefings at the ECB on current themes related to Monetary Policy of the EU (one day) and classes given by the faculty of the Bundesbank’s Applied Sciences University on Monetary Policy of the Bundesbank and other national banks in the EU (five days) – equal to 3 ECTS credits.
- Brussels, Frankfurt, Strasbourg, and Luxembourg. ”European Study Tour” in cooperation with Canadian Network for European Studies. Intensive studies about the institutions, evolution, and current issues of the EU through visits to the major institutions of the EU. Briefings by the EU practitioners and politicians, meeting and discussions. 3 weeks – equal to 9 ECTS credits.
- EU-Canada Study Tour “Thinking Canada”, an initiative of the European Network for Canadian Studies, funded generously by the European Commission (Ottawa, Montreal, Victoria and other cities) – a four-week study tour to Canada for European students that take place in September of each year and for selected participants can result in a two-month internships in Canada. This tour starts with three days of briefings in Brussels on the EU and EU-Canada relations. 4 weeks – equal to 12 ECTS credits.
- Double Degree Diploma with Manipal University in India (at least 1-semester studies at Manipal University in India).
- Erasmus exchange program. ECTS awarded on the basis of the completed and passed courses.
- Other exchange programs with partner universities, summer schools – awarded according to the mutual agreements on the credits provided by the exchange program.
Master’s degree program "European studies” leaflet.
For further information on the program courses, please visit the website of the study program.
Master's degree program “European studies” curriculum (2013/2014)
Master’s degree program "European studies” curriculum (2012/2013)
Scheme of the studies
Study Period and Classes Time
The full-time degree program covers two academic years. Classes are in the evenings of working days from 6.15pm till 9.30pm.
The program is accredited until 2019 according to the Law of the Republic of Latvia on Higher Education Establishments in compliance with requirements of the European Union.
More than 500 graduates of the Program have professional and academic careers:
- in EU/international and national public institutions and private companies
- as political, economic, and legal advisers
- in diplomatic services
- as lobbyists at EU level
- as international journalists
- in universities and research centers
- some pursuing Ph.D. studies.
For further information, please consult with http://www.lu.lv/eng/istudents/degree/fees/
More information on career opportunities of program graduates can be found here.
Ketevan Kukhianidze, Georgia
“Having graduated with honor in Georgia from Akaki Tsereteli State University of Social Science Faculty with specialization in Law, I immediately decided to continue my master studies abroad at the University of Latvia in the European Studies program. To see and study Europe from the perspective of a New EU Member country was very interesting for me. My impressions exceeded my expectations. The international atmosphere, highly qualified lectures and EU practitioners and nice environment help me to develop knowledge in different spheres. In addition, history and cultural life of Riga are really fascinating and valuable for me. I would advise studying European Studies at the University of Latvia in Riga and you will enjoy your studies in the program as much as I did.”
Andre V.Demarest, USA
"I enjoyed my studies in this program. There was a friendly environment, including good relations between teachers and students and well as an organized program. Sufficient guest lectures by international professors and experts gave us another chance to learn more about the EU and its development from different points of view. The program included a study visit to Brussels which provides a wonderful opportunity to learn how the European Institutions actually function and to discover European political culture from the inside. Overall, I can say it was a worthwhile experience and I'm satisfied with my choice."
NEW: Starting from 2014 the Program offers specialization in European Union External Relations in two sub-programs during the 3rd semester:
- EU External Relations – Eastern Europe and Russia
- EU External Relations – Triple-A (Latin and Northern America, Africa, Asia)
NEW: Possibility to obtain Double Degree Diploma with Manipal University (India)
- Bachelor’s degree or a diploma proving an equivalent level of education from an institution of higher education.
- English language proficiency.
- Quality of CV.
- Quality of Motivation letter.
Spring Intake (application start: 13 Sept 2017; studies start in Feb 2018)
Autumn Intake (application start: 1 Jan 2018; studies start in Sept 2018)