The Masters in Economic Theory at ITAM is directed toward students interested in pursuing doctoral studies at ITAM or other international universities, whether or not they have majored in Economics at the undergraduate level. There is a large gap between the knowledge and skills required to complete successfully a Ph.D. program in Economics and those that are acquired at a B.A. program. The Masters in Economic Theory intends to fill that gap. The Program consists of courses in economic theory, real analysis, dynamic programming and econometrics. For the students interested in pursuing doctoral studies at ITAM, the Program corresponds to the first phase of the Ph.D. Program. For students interested in pursuing doctoral studies outside Mexico, the Masters Program provides an excellent training in the technical skills required by any doctoral program.
ITAM has a long and successful experience training economists at the undergraduate and the masters level. ITAM is also one of the region´s foremost research institutions in the field of economics, as shown by the number and quality of publications by our economics faculty and by the organization in recent years of a number important academic events. For both reasons, we are in an excellent position to educate graduate students who intend to pursue a doctorate in Mexico or abroad.
The Masters Program consists of three semesters devoted to courses in economic theory, mathematical analysis and econometrics at the level required by a first year top doctoral program. Courses will be followed by general examinations in microeconomics, macroeconomics and econometrics. Passing these exams confers the student the degree of Maestro en Teoría Económica. Passing the exams with an outstanding grade will confer an automatic pass to ITAM´s Ph.D. Program.
Requirements for Prospective Students
To be considered as a candidate for the Masters in Economic Theory, the following requirements must be satisfied. All applicants must:
- Hold an undergraduate degree in any subject.
- Have an undergraduate grade average of 8.0 (eight).
- Take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination).
- Satisfy academic pre-requisites in the following areas: Calculus, Lineal Algebra, Dynamic Systems, Statistics, Intermediate Microeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics. The Program Director will determine if the candidate´s academic experience satisfies these pre-requisites. Any pre-requisites not satisfied at this stage must be accredited by studying the appropriate subjects at ITAM before beginning the doctoral program.
- Be a full time student.
- Complete the application process.