Develop your research skills as part of a team investigating key challenges facing the agriculture, land management or equine industries. In addition, you may also attend taught subject classes to update your knowledge and understanding of disciplines related to your study and to further your critical review skills. The programme is completed when you submit your thesis for assessment at the end of the year and defend your research in a viva voce examination. Part-time is available over two years for UK/EU students.
The full-time Master of Science by Research programme is a one-year research project submitted as a thesis and examined in a viva voce.
- Full-time – minimum 12 months / maximum 24 months
- Part-time – minimum 18 months / maximum 36 months
Research students receive training in formulating research enquiries, critical reading, scientific writing, research methodology, statistics (e.g. Genstat, SPSS, NVivo), as well as lecturing skills. Researchers will contribute to internal seminars and present at conferences.
The advantages of studying towards a Masters by research are:
- There is potential for upgrading to PhD with a further two years of study at the RAU
- Research data generated is more likely to be publishable compared to a standard taught Masters dissertation
- There are two taught modules in research methodology delivered in collaboration with the University of Gloucestershire
- The Masters by Research programme has active industry links with exciting projects on offer throughout.
The standard minimum entry requirement will be an Honours degree at the upper secondary level or an equivalent academic qualification from a comparable international institution.
Mature candidates with significant relevant work experience and lower academic qualifications may also be considered for entry, following personal interview.
For students whose first language is not English, the University will accept the International English Language Test (IELTS) with a minimum score of 7.0 in all elements.
About the School
Established in 1845, we are recognised nationally and internationally as a leader in the delivery of education, research and consultancy, in and relating to, agriculture and the rural environment. Our ... Read More