The programme is targeted to students with a background in engineering or natural sciences.
The Master's programme in Business Analytics educates experts in analytics and decision-making with an understanding of the business landscape and needs of industrial companies and commercial and public organisations.
Your studies in this programme will be focused on theoretical knowledge and technical skills in relevant business analytics methods, including data analytics, modelling, simulation, and multiple-criteria decision-making methods, and practical use of the methods on real-world data in a real-world business or industry context. The software and tools applied during the course are standard in the industry.
The programme merges studies in industrial management, corporate finance, computer science and applied mathematics in a unique way, providing a very powerful combination of knowledge.
Intended learning outcomes
As a graduate from this programme, you will have a good understanding of various analytics and decision support methods, solid hands-on experience in using relevant software to solve real-world problems, and the competence to work in development and expert tasks.
You will be able to work in an international environment and to act in a sustainable and ethical way. You also have what it takes to develop and enhance your own competencies further.
After completing this programme, you will be able to:
- use business analytics methods and software in practice;
- apply data-analysis and machine learning methods in solving industrial and business problems;
- model industrial and business processes and perform simulation analyses to study and to enhance them;
- draw logical conclusions and give recommendations in strategic decision-making situations based on output from decision support methods;
- interpret analysis results and present them visually;
- renew business architecture with components from digital analytics;
- plan and manage development and projects based on business analytics;
- apply new scientific knowledge and methods to develop your competence further;
- evaluate and interpret analytics related projects and their compatibility in problem-solving;
- spar your working community related to analytics based on knowledge of analytical methods.
Degree structure and studies
The Master's programme in Business Analytics is a two-year programme. The programme leads to the degree of Master of Science in Technology, M.Sc. (Tech.), and it is 120 ECTS credits.
The programme includes core and specialisation studies in business analytics.
Core studies, 34 ECTS credits, include courses on the background, basics, and tools of business analytics and business development, such as information systems in corporate management and decision-making, data analytics, simulation and optimisation methods in business analytics.
Specialisation studies, 86 ECTS credits, include courses on topics such as the basics of business analysis, big data analytics, pattern recognition, statistical analysis, fuzzy data analysis, fuzzy sets and fuzzy logic, business intelligence and advanced decision-making methods.
The Master's thesis and seminar, 30 ECTS credits, are a part of the specialisation studies. The thesis is a research project which requires approximately six months of full-time work. It is completed during the fourth semester of the degree programme.
As a graduate, you will be a perfect fit for the business development and business analytics teams of global corporations and SMEs.
Hands-on skills in business analytics are in very high demand globally – there is a great shortage of business analytics professionals on the market.
The programmes are practical and career-oriented and give you a unique multi-disciplinary education in technology and business, which is highly valued in the corporate world and industry.
You will be prepared for a career in business analytics and analytical business development, as an analytics professional in an industrial or service company or as a consultant.
Entrepreneurship is also a realistic possibility with the pragmatic skill set you will acquire.
How to Apply
Interested in applying to the Master's Programme in Business Analytics, engineering science?
Make one of the most important decisions for your future and study with us – we promise you to make your investment worthwhile.
Every year a great number of students from all over the world start their studies at LUT University.
Be curious. Be one of us.
You can apply to this Master's programme through either the rolling or the regular admission process:
- Regular admission: 1 December 2020-20 January 2021
- Rolling admission: 1 October 2020-31 May 2021