A WORLD-CLASS EDUCATION ROOTED IN THEORY AND HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE
Become a leader in sports product management by learning from the industry's best in the global hub for sports products, Portland, Oregon.
- Learn the business of creating sports apparel, footwear, and equipment.
- Engage in hands-on work with international sports companies like Adidas, Nike, Columbia Sportswear, Under Armour.
- Gain high-demand skills for lucrative roles in the sports product industry.
The University of Oregon has partnered with the sports and outdoor product industry’s best to offer the first-of-its-kind Master of Science in Sports Product Management in Portland, Oregon. Come be a part of our relentless pursuit of excellence.
Join future sports product industry leaders and propel your career with hands-on learning from experienced industry veterans.
18-MONTH MASTER'S PROGRAM TIMELINE
Learn all the skills required for the complete life cycle of sports and outdoor apparel, footwear, and equipment during an immersive 18-month program taking place over six 10-week sessions starting in September.
FALL YEAR 1: COURSES
- SBUS 610 – Product Line Management
- SBUS 610 – Sports Product Branding
- HPHY 610 – Human Physiology and Sports Products
- SBUS 608 – Smart Products
- MKTG 660 – Marketing Research
- SBUS 601 – Integrative Project
WINTER YEAR 1: COURSES
- SPD 610 – Sports Product Design
- SPD 608 – Practicum in Sports Product Prototyping
- MKTG 610 – Product Development
- ATCG 662 – Strategic Cost Accounting
- CH 610 – Green Materials
- SBUS 601 – Integrative Project
- Europe – ISPO Sports Product Trade Show
SPRING YEAR 1: COURSES
- DSC 577 – Supply Chain Operations and Information
- MKTG 665 – Marketing Strategy
- MGMT 614 – Strategic Management
- MGMT 625 – New Venture Planning
- SBUS 601 – Integrative Project
SUMMER YEAR 1: COMPANY INTERNSHIP BRIEF
In the summer between first and second year, students complete an industry internship that immerses them in a sports or outdoor product company in the U.S. or abroad. All internships are facilitated through the program although students are also welcome to find their own internship placements if they prefer.
FALL YEAR 2: COURSES
- SBUS 653 – Legal Aspects of Sports Business
- MGMT 620 – Managing Global Business.
- SBUS 607 – Special Topics: International Sports Products
- ACTG 612 – Financial Accounting
- SBUS 601 – Integrative Project: Go-To-Market
- Asia Consumer and Manufacturing Trip
WINTER YEAR 2: COURSES
Integrated Project – Capstone: The final term of the integrated project is devoted entirely to experiential learning. Students will work in teams and with industry mentors supporting their career goals and helping to align projects to support their portfolios.
Students receive support throughout the 18-month degree program through program staff, industry mentors, and instructors. Students are given access to countless sports and outdoor product companies through site visits and guest speakers in addition to domestic and international sports product industry events and experiences. Students are responsible for securing their own post-graduation job placements.
Program graduates are prepared to enter the following types of positions in the sports product industry:
- PRODUCT LINE MANAGEMENT
- PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- PRODUCT MERCHANDISING
- PRODUCT INNOVATION MANAGEMENT
- MATERIALS MANAGEMENT
- PRODUCT ENGINEERING
- DEMAND PLANNING
- PRODUCT SOURCING & COSTING
- RETAIL MANAGEMENT
- BRAND MANAGEMENT
- FACTORY MANAGEMENT
- SUSTAINABLE SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT
Our alumni currently hold positions at numerous domestic and global sports product companies including Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, Revant Optics, Bolt Threads, The North Face, SOREL, KEEN and more.
WHAT IS SPORTS PRODUCT MANAGEMENT?
We are the best and deliver the best.
The industry’s top talent educate future leaders through experiential education grounded in innovation, sustainability, and global business perspective. Educators in our program all hold a master's degree or Ph.D. and bring real-world experience and teaching expertise.
Our instructors have extensive professional experience working in leadership roles within various functional areas of large and small sports and outdoor product companies.
We match the hands-on expertise of our instructors with Ph.D. professors who are subject-matter experts and internationally recognized for their research in sports apparel, footwear, and equipment.
All educators in our program have impressive teaching experience and have been carefully selected based on being experts in what they’re teaching, being great motivators, and having a sincere interest in mentoring and advising students on their future careers.
LEADERS OF TODAY SHAPING LEADERS OF TOMORROW
Industry leaders shaped the creation of the University of Oregon Sports Product Management Program and are involved in designing and teaching the curriculum. The Sports Product Management Industry Advisory Board is a select group of 50 senior professionals who help steer the Program.
Each step of the 18-month journey is rich with connections to the sports and outdoor product industry.
Industry Mentor: It starts with each student being assigned their own industry veteran mentor. Mentors connect with students before they even start the program to start building an advisory relationship. Mentors make themselves available each month to students to ensure they feel supported in their questions about the industry and how to best reach their career goals.
Team Coach: As part of the program-long project, each student team is also assigned a team coach from the industry to support them in the journey of their projects to bring a concept from idea all the way to market.
Global Travel: In their first year, students travel to Germany to experience firsthand the industry’s largest tradeshow called ISPO Munich. That trip is coupled with stops in Baltimore to visit Under Armour and New York City to visit one of the many global brands with offices there (last year Nike and Adidas were among the stops).
The second year of the program includes travel to Asia. Students travel to several destinations that may include Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Vietnam, and Japan.
A PORTLAND HOMEBASE WITH A GLOBAL REACH
Portland, OR is an alpha cluster in the sports and outdoor product industry. Of the 800+ sports product related companies in Oregon, 90% are located in the greater Portland area, which is home to companies like Nike, Adidas, Columbia Sportswear, KEEN, Icebreaker, and more.
THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR MAKING IT YOURSELF
Two of the most unique parts of the Master of Science in Sports Product Management Program are the White Stag Innovation Lab and Go-to-Market Education.
- The White Stag Innovation Lab is a product-making space that provides students with hands-on experience in concept ideation and execution. Students use specialized equipment to design, make, and test prototype sports and outdoor apparel, footwear and equipment.
- Go-to-Market Education provides students with hands-on experience in store design, layout, inventory management, merchandising, product mix, profitability, and marketing through classes, trips, and a retail lab.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 26, 2018