The Master's Degree in Urban and Regional Planning is a postgraduate program established in 1975 at the Faculty of Interdisciplinary Studies. It is currently a unit of the Faculty of Architecture and Design, oriented towards research and comprehensive and interdisciplinary training of professionals in the analysis, research and intervention in the processes of Urban and Regional Planning, Land Planning and Design of Cities and Regions in Colombia , in order to contribute in the search for solutions to the current problems of our society, in accordance with the guidelines of the Mission of the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana .
- Conference: Friday from 2:00 pm to 8:00 pm and Saturdays from 7:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Face-to-face modality
- Degree awarded: Master in urban and regional planning
- Estimated duration: Four semesters
- Year of initiation: 1975
- SNIES: 1033
- Qualified registry resolution: 4647 of May 7, 2012, valid until May 7, 2019.
- Master's value: 11,172,000 / semester *
- Type of training: Postgraduate
- Place where it is offered: Bogotá
* The value of the registration corresponds to the cost per period fixed for the year 2019.
Plan of studies
The Master's is an innovative postgraduate proposal, structured on three areas of knowledge: "Urban Planning and Planning", "Urban Design" and "Research and Simulation", (and elective subjects) whose course, given the nature of the program, allows the student follow different learning routes in their training, offering professionals the possibility to develop their own profile according to their expectations and develop in a multidisciplinary and investigative field, enhancing their own field of knowledge.
The Academic study of land use planning and integral regional urban development are structured around the problems associated with the different territorial scales: regional, of its city as a whole and of urban sectors; They are developed in three phases:
A. Analysis, Research and Diagnosis:
- Ecological structure and environmental offer.
- Vocations and potentialities. Location of activities and land uses.
- Service infrastructures, mobility and transport.
- Macrotendencias study.
- Identification of Future Planning Needs.
- Approach and analysis of possible scenarios.
- Analysis of possible strategies and decisions and their implications and impacts.
- Plans, policies, programs and projects.
- Urban operations (example: urban renewal, consolidation, etc.) seen as real estate strategies in their economic and financial feasibility.
- Study of social implications and optimization options.
The methodology of the program is defined with an interactive educational proposal, between student, teacher and technology, which relates the conceptualization and theorization of modern thinking about the city and the territory, through subjects, research seminars and complementary activities, such as conferences of research, national and international workshops, lecture series and talks about the city with the practical proposal of urban and regional plans and projects. The history, theory and practice of planning and ordering - in different subjects - allow, by means of spatial and territorial analysis methods - in urban and regional simulation scenarios - to give scientific support to the intervention.
The subjects, composed of modules, are consolidated as the starting point in the construction of knowledge that supports the workshop. These are designed to promote in the students the processes of reflection and theoretical formulation that are expressed in an argumentative way in the Research Seminars (I, II, III) and spatially in the corresponding regional, urban and urban design proposals to the Workshops (I, II, III). The thematic articulation of the different modules is evaluated by means of written productions through which the application of their contents in the analysis, diagnosis, conclusion and creation of proposals for the scenarios proposed in the Workshop, as well as in the cumulative development of the theoretical framework belonging to the Degree Work.
Profile of the applicant
The Master in Urban and Regional Planning, is aimed at professionals from different disciplines who, from their professional practice or the development of their knowledge and / or interests, want to deepen their knowledge and professional skills to contribute to the construction and enjoyment of a space that can contain and determine societies, democratic, sustainable, inclusive, with a competitive and citizen culture. It is aimed at professionals Architects, Engineers, Designers, Lawyers, Economists, Historians and Administrators among others.
The graduate will be able to generate and apply knowledge and basic tools of action and critical reflection within interdisciplinary work groups in Planning, Urban Design and research from private companies or the public sector and academia; formulate plans and projects for planning, and urban design at the city and regional level.
Specific requirements for admission to the Master's Degree in Urban and Regional Planning
- Registration form completed.
- Proof of registration of registration fees
- Essay (minimum 4 letter sheets, single space and 10p letter) indicating the reasons that motivate them to enter the program, and their investigative and professional interests.
- Certificate of qualifications of university studies (original and by subject).
- Average of undergraduate degree notes of minimum 3.5.
- Photocopy of the Diploma and the Degree Certificate of university studies (not considered sufficient to enter the titles of intermediate careers).
- Curriculum vitae.
- Selection interview with the teachers of the Master
- Two photographs 3x4 size (white background)
Particular situations: Foreigners and national students who have done undergraduate studies abroad, in addition to the documents mentioned above must submit:
- Foreign applicants without Colombian nationality must attach a copy of the passport.
- All documents that are not in Spanish must be translated.
- The certificates and the diploma must have the apostille stamp placed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Entity in charge of this process (Hague convention) in the country of origin; or failing that for countries that do not belong to the Hague Convention, authenticated or sealed by the Colombian Consul in the country of origin, and endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Colombia.
- It is not required that the title that accredits him as a professional be validated or approved in Colombia (In any case, this does not qualify him to practice the profession in Colombia).
Advantages of the graduate
The Master's Degree in Urban Planning offers its students:
- A training in analysis, research and intervention for the urban and regional planning processes, the ordering of the territory and the design of cities and regions in Colombia.
- Knowledge and skills for the analysis of the processes associated with urban and regional planning of cities in Colombia.
- Spaces for research, recognition and prioritization of problems related to the urban and regional planning of the territory, and the various alternatives that support it.
- Skills to coordinate, direct and evaluate programs; design urban and regional planning projects, as well as urban design and city management.
Program taught in: