The University Master's Degree in Specialized Translation has the objective of training professionals and scholars in the fields that generate the most demand within the translation sector.
To obtain the Master's Degree in Specialized Translation, it is necessary for the student to complete a total of 60 ECTS, of which 18 ECTS belong to compulsory subjects and 12 to Master's Final Project. Regarding the remaining 30 ECTS, the student has three options:
- Choose a specialization (15 ECTS of subjects related to that specialization plus 15 ECTS of elective subjects that the student chooses freely).
- Choose two specialties (15 15 ECTS of subjects related to these two specialties).
- To complete a total of 30 ECTS from the free choice of elective subjects, but without any specialization.
All specialties offer 15 ECTS of elective subjects except the Interpretation for Business specialty, which offers 21 ECTS.
To facilitate the study for people with limited availability, the Master's degree is completed in two years, although there is the possibility of concentrating it in one year, after agreement with the coordination. In this case it will not be possible to obtain any specialization and registration must be made of the optional subjects offered in the academic year in question.
The program is part of a context in which the needs associated with language mediation have an increasing weight: thus, in response to the demands of society and the professional framework of today, prepare people trained to work in environments marked by interculturality, multilingualism, multimodality, multitasking and the use of Information and Communication Technologies.
Catalan or Spanish and English
On the one hand, the Master's Degree in Specialized Translation offers the student the opportunity to approach the main areas of research in translation and, in this way, subsequently pursue advanced studies that lead to the achievement of a subsequent doctoral thesis. Thus, it gives access to doctoral program of the University of Vic in Translation, Gender and Cultural Studies and, also, to the Educational Innovation and Intervention.
Likewise, the Master also allows you to follow a professionalizing itinerary that enables the student to exercise translation professionally within the areas that generate the most demand.
Although the delivery periods are marked with precision in the academic calendar, the work schedule is free, so that the student can connect to the classroom at the time he prefers to work on the proposed content. Occasionally, the faculty can arrange video conferencing sessions. In this case, the schedule will be agreed with the students involved.
- The didactic methodology of the Master in Specialized Translation is based on virtual teaching through a Virtual Campus and is based on the integrated use of specific ICTs in the translation sector (forums, videoconferences, bulletin boards, documentary repositories, software programs). assisted translation, task mailboxes, etc.). The two universities have an accredited experience in the use of virtual environments for teaching translation.
- Being an online offer, the Master in Specialized Translation is an excellent option for people who are far away from the center of studies or who, due to work or family obligations, can not dedicate themselves exclusively to academic tasks and combine them with other activities of all. In addition, there is the possibility of concentrating the 60 ECTS in a single year instead of two, after consulting and agreeing with the coordination.
General admission requirements
You can access a university master's degree if you own:
- an official Spanish university degree (regardless of level and duration.)
- a degree issued by a higher education institution of another state that is a member of the European Higher Education Area, which in the issuing country authorizes access to master's degrees.
- a foreign university degree from outside the European Higher Education Area, without needing its homologation, with a level of education equivalent to a state official university degree and which in the country of origin enables access to postgraduate studies.
Apart from the general access requirements, each master has specific admission requirements and selection criteria.
This master is one of the logical options for specialized training in translation for students with a diverse profile of previous training:
- Translation and Interpreting graduates who wish to perfect their translating skills in specialized translation fields.
- Graduates in Philology, Applied Languages, Modern Languages and related disciplines who, based on their linguistic knowledge, wish to obtain a translation training that opens up new professional or research paths.
- Graduates from scientific, technological, legal, economic, social fields, etc. who wish to be trained in the field of translation and specialize in translation related to their field of knowledge, provided they are available to the level of foreign language established in the access requirements.
To gain access to the Master, you must demonstrate knowledge equivalent to level C2 in language A of teaching (Spanish or Catalan) and knowledge equivalent or superior to C1 in language B of teaching (English compulsorily and, if applicable, French) through supporting documentation or an exam.
The University of Vic - Central University of Catalonia reserves the right not to teach the Master if the minimum number of students is not enrolled.
If the number of applications for access by people who meet the requirements is greater than the number of places offered in the teaching, the following merit criteria will be applied to select the candidates that will be admitted:
- Degree of suitability of the previous degree: maximum 6 points.
- Professional experience related to the Master's field: maximum 1 point.
- Knowledge of a third language: maximum 1 point if a level higher than that required for language B is accredited.
- Mobility during previous studies: maximum 1 point.
- Academic record of the previous studies: in case of coincidence of points, 1 extra point will be awarded for the academic record with the highest average grade.
|External Practices (PE)||0|
|Master thesis (TFM)||12|
- Audiovisual Communication
- Interpretation for the Company
- Scientific-Technical Translation
- Legal and Financial Translation
- Translation, Literature and Gender
- Manage, analyze, interpret and synthesize information from different sources.
- Solve problems linked to the tasks undertaken and have the ability to defend decisions with professional arguments and to assume the corresponding responsibilities.
- Develop and keep updated their own competences, skills and knowledge according to the standards of the profession.
- Possess skills for criticism and self-criticism and demonstrate respect for the quality and deontological codes of the profession.
- Implement interpersonal skills related to work under pressure characteristic of the profession and the stress it generates.
- Analyze, relate and reflexively apply the approaches to translation theory and the strategic principles of translation.
- Apply computer technologies to translation at an advanced level and use the main professional computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools.
- Search, select and manage information related to translation projects at an advanced level using electronic information management and retrieval systems (specific programs for terminology management, electronic corpora, etc.).
- Master and analyze the grammatical, lexical and idiomatic structures, as well as the graphic and orthotypographic conventions of the languages involved in the translation.
- Translate or interpret, following professional criteria, texts from one or more specialties (among others, legal-financial, scientific-technical, literary, multimedia, audiovisual) and know how to justify translation decisions.
- Analyze, plan, execute and evaluate translation projects and know how to establish and control the quality standards of translation projects, as well as manage work teams and make strategic decisions related to projects.
- Edit and revise oral and written texts at a professional level.
- Identify and apply to the field of translation fundamental aspects of research methodology.
- Show skills linked to the insertion in the labor world and the practical exercise of the profession to negotiate the conditions, objectives and purpose of the translation commissions.
- Analyze the processes linked to face-to-face or virtual communication in intercultural teams and the characteristics of multilingual environments.
- Master the skills related to the preparation, presentation and public defense of a translation project.
- Translation research
- Linguistic advice
- Policy and linguistic planning
- Linguistic mediation
- Terminology and specialized languages
- Language and communication technologies
- Public administrations
- Documentation in translation
About the School
Universitat de Vic - Central University of Catalonia emerged from a regional and citizens’ initiative to continue with a university tradition that goes back to the Middle Ages. UVic-UCC is a public un ... Read More