The Master of Science in Product and Service Design is to train designers in the field of advanced production of innovative artifacts and services, with strategic skills and vision and management of typical processes of the post-industrial society. The course is entirely taught in English and is defined to welcome students from different geographical and educational backgrounds (design, architecture, engineering) creating a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment by integrating design skills, engineering skills, socio-critical skills necessary for the development and management of design-driven product, process and service innovations, operating internationally. Students will be engaged in intense project activity, creatively thinking, and critically investigating.
StartupStockPhotos / Pixabay
The main didactic goals are:
- knowledge and understanding of the material culture of Design in relation to socio-cultural and economic repercussions;
- control of the technical-productive, technical-functional and formal aspects of the artifacts (tangible or intangible) but also of all the processes that accompany the design-production-consumption path informed and guided by strategies of economic, social, and environmental sustainability;
- development of Design Thinking skills which, by grasping the potential and resources of a local system, connect it with the critical capacity to the global dimension by developing products and/or services which, starting from the understanding of cultural, social and relationships between resources and activity, is capable of producing Design-driven Innovations that condition the material and immaterial culture of contemporary societies.
There are also 12 ECTS as elective, 18 ECTS dedicated to the final work, and the 12 ECTS dedicated to Further Learnings activities to be carried out at companies, professional studies, and research centers, that allow the students to imagine and create a personalized training course within the wide spectrum of experimental areas of Product and Service Design.
The professional opportunities for our Graduates are as:
- Design Strategist, able to integrate and develop complex systems and design new products and services in an environment characterized by continuous technological advancements;
- Design Researcher, able to manage the growing information that comes from technological research and socio-cultural contexts at the end of product developments, services, and innovative processes.
Our Graduates are also ready to access the third level of education (Ph.D.), in particular aimed at research in the broad field of Service and Product Design.
About the School
With over 700 years of history, 113,500 students, 3,300 teachers and 2,000 employees, technicians and librarians, in addition to 1,800 administrative staff in university hospitals, Sapienza is the fir ... Read More