What is the Official Master's Degree in Industrial Engineering and the Master's Degree in Engineering for Mobility and Safety?
This program of combined Master’s Degree studies, composed of the Official Master's Degree in Industrial Engineering (MII) and the Master's Degree in Engineering for Mobility and Safety (M2S), allows students to acquire the generalist capabilities of the Industrial Engineer while obtaining specific training in the automotive safety sector, as well as in new propulsion systems and aspects linked to sustainable mobility.
The Program is designed so that students can develop the skills and abilities of both degrees in two years. An increase in the course load, a characteristic of the dual degree, requires that students have a high capacity for organization, study, and work. This effort is permanently followed and supported by professors and tutors.
Students who obtain the Master's Degree in Industrial Engineering can register with the ICAI's National Engineers Association and work in the legally regulated profession of Industrial Engineer.
Criteria and Process for Admission:
Admission is the responsibility of the Director of the ICAI School of Engineering, assisted by the Sub-Commission Delegated for Admissions.
- The Sub-Commission Delegated for Admissions is composed of the Director, the Coordinator of the Master’s Degree, and the Academic Deputy Director. When necessary, advice will be sought from the Directors of the Department involved in this Master's Degree.
The application for admission must be submitted within the period indicated for that purpose, in a standardized format, and accompanied by all documents certifying compliance with the requirements for access to the Degree.
If the profile of the candidate does not meet the recommended requirements for the Degree, as a result of any absences in compliance with the necessary documents for access to the studies, further and supplementary courses may be required for prior training before admission to the Degree is granted.
Criteria for Admission to the Degree:
- Academic Transcript, which implicitly includes the suitability of the studies carried out (70%).
- Letters of Recommendation, Curriculum Vitae, Letter of Recommendation from outside the University, and, if applicable, an optional Personal Interview of the candidate with those responsible for the Master´s Degree. Other relevant information concerning the candidate's academic and professional career should be submitted. At this point, professional experience in the sector will be taken into account in order to compensate for any deficiencies with respect to the recommended academic profile (30%).
- Knowledge of the English language, accrediting at least a B2 European level. Not having this minimum level could lead to non-admission to the program.
If the student interested in joining the program has some type of physical disability, he/she may obtain information and personalized assistance available in the Social Work Unit. This University Service is in charge of developing, among other responsibilities, a Program of Attention for Students with Disabilities, with a Social Worker in charge of the actions to be implemented. Information on this program is accessible on the web page, where you can familiarize yourself with the resources and technical and social aid available to help you to participate fully in University life, depending on your specific needs. The document "Entrance Exam Adaptation Request" is available there, on which you can specify your needs during the admissions process.
Career & academic prospects
This qualification enables the degree-holder to carry out the profession of Industrial Engineer, according to current regulations. [BOE]
Likewise, the Master's Degree in Industrial Engineering is focused in such a way that it provides a multidisciplinary and integral training, combining the traditional training of engineers with transversal training for leadership in international contexts through the development of professional and communication skills. This complement of the Master's Degree in Engineering for Mobility and Safety will allow for the addition of the skills in the Master’s Degree in Industrial Engineering, with more training in simulation and materials as well as safety of people in the field of mobility
In addition, this degree allows the student to join doctorate programs.
Professional Opportunities and Academic Career Paths
Industrial Engineers from ICAI work in all of the productive sectors of the domestic and international economy, taking on the highest functions and responsibilities due to their multidisciplinary training. The most common professional opportunities for this degree are:
- Manager for Industrial Projects.
- Manager for Industrial Products.
- Manager of Large Industrial Facilities.
- Digital transformation Management.
- General, Technical, or Strategic Management.
- Director of Planning, Quality, Production, or Environmental Management.
- R + D + innovation.
- Management of multidisciplinary or international teams.
- Consultant and advisor.
In addition, students who follow the Master’s Degree in Engineering for Mobility and Safety (M2S) will receive specific training that will enable them to:
- Joint research, development, and innovation departments in the field of transport, including mobility management and safe transport.
- Continue their academic career in fields related to the biomechanics of impact and injury prevention.
- Be part of teams responsible for the design of security systems, taking into account both their theoretical effectiveness and the challenges associated with their implementation in increasingly automated vehicles.
- Integrate into product development and production teams in the transport sector.
- Join in transportation departments and mobility management.
Skills of the Master's Degree in Industrial Engineering
Basic and general skills and abilities
- Acquire advanced knowledge and demonstrate, in a highly-specific context or a context of scientific and technological research, a detailed and substantiated understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects, and of the methodology of work, in one or more fields of study.
- Know how to apply and combine their knowledge, their understanding, their scientific base, and their problem-solving abilities in new and imprecisely defined environments, including multidisciplinary contexts, applicable to both researchers and highly-specialized professionals.
- Know how to evaluate and select the appropriate scientific theory and the precise methodology of their fields of study to formulate judgments based on incomplete or limited information, including, when necessary and pertinent, a reflection on social or ethical responsibility linked to the solution that is proposed in each case.
- Be able to predict and control the evolution of complex situations through the development of new and innovative work methodologies adapted to specific scientific / research, technological or professional field, in general multidisciplinary, in which their activity is developed.
- Know how to convey, in a clear and unambiguous way, to a specialized or non-specialized audience, results from scientific and technological research, or the most advanced field of innovation, as well as the most relevant foundations on which they are based.
- To have developed enough autonomy to participate in research projects and scientific or technological collaborations within their thematic scope, in interdisciplinary contexts, and, where appropriate, with a high component of the transfer of knowledge.
- Be able to take responsibility for their own professional development and their specialization in one or more fields of study.
- Have adequate knowledge of the scientific and technological aspects of mathematical, analytical and numerical methods in Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Energy Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Continuous Media Mechanics, Industrial Electronics, Automation, Manufacturing, Materials, Quantitative Methods of Management, Industrial Computing, Urban Planning, Infrastructures, etc.
- Project, calculate and design products, processes, facilities, and plants.
- Direct, plan, and supervise multidisciplinary teams.
- Carry out research, development, and innovation in products, processes, and methods.
- Carry out strategic planning and apply it to constructive systems as well as Production, Quality, and Environmental Management.
- Technically and economically manage projects, facilities, plants, companies, and technology centers.
- To be able to exercise functions of general management, technical management, and management of R + D + I projects in plants, companies, and technological centers.
- Apply the knowledge acquired and solve problems in new or unfamiliar environments, within broader and multidisciplinary contexts.
- Be able to integrate knowledge and face the complexity of making judgments based on information that, being incomplete or limited, includes reflections on the social and ethical responsibilities linked to the application of their knowledge and judgment.
- Know how to communicate the conclusions, knowledge, and the ultimate reasons that support them to specialized and non-specialized audiences in a clear and unambiguous way.
- Possess the learning skills that allow the individual to continue studying in a self-directed or autonomous way.
- Know, understand, and apply the necessary legislation in the exercise of the profession of Industrial Engineer.
Specific skills and abilities
- Knowledge and skills to organize and manage Companies
- Knowledge and skills of Strategy and Planning applied to different Organizational Structures
- Knowledge of Commercial and Labor Law
- Knowledge of Financial Accounting and Costs
- Knowledge of Information Systems for Management, Industrial Organization, Production Systems, and Logistics and Quality Management Systems
- Capabilities for Work Organization and Human Resources Management. Knowledge of Prevention of Occupational Risks
- Knowledge and Skills for the Integrated Management of Projects
- Capacity for the Management of Research, Development and Technological Innovation
- Capacity for the Design, Construction, and Operation of Industrial Plants - Knowledge on Construction, Building, Facilities, Infrastructure and Urban Planning in the field of Industrial Engineering - Knowledge and skills for the Calculation and Design of Structures
- Knowledge and skills for planning and designing Electrical and Fluid Installations, Lighting, Air Conditioning and Ventilation, Energy Saving and Efficiency, Acoustics, Communications, Home Automation, and Smart Buildings and Security Installations
- Knowledge of Methods and Techniques of Transport and Industrial Maintenance
- Knowledge and skills to perform Verification and Control of Facilities, Processes, and Products
- Knowledge and skills to carry out Certifications, Audits, Verifications, Tests, and Reports
- Carry out, present and defend a comprehensive project in Industrial Engineering, of a professional nature, in which the skills and abilities acquired in courses are made manifest, once all of the credits of the Study Plan have been obtained; this project should be an original exercise, whose presentation and defense are to be carried out individually before a university Tribunal of Professors
- Knowledge and capacity for the analysis and design of Electricity Generation, Transport and Distribution Systems
- Knowledge and ability to project, calculate and design Integrated Manufacturing Systems
- Ability to design and test Machines
- Capacity for the analysis and design of Chemical Processes
- Knowledge and capabilities for the design and analysis of Machines and Thermal Engines, Hydraulic Machines and Industrial Heat and Cold Installations
- Knowledge and skills that allow to understand, analyze, exploit and manage the different Sources of Energy
- Ability to design Electronic Systems and Industrial Instrumentation - Ability to design and project Automated Production Systems and Advanced Process Control
About the School
The ICAI School of Engineering is a Polytechnic School located in Madrid with a long tradition teaching Engineering that began in 1908. ICAI offer 2-year Master’s Degrees in Industrial Engineering (in ... Read More