Directors: Mr. Juan Carlos Graciano and Dª. Nuria de Querol Aragón
Title: Master's Degree in Economic Analysis of Law
Responsible center: Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset University Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset - Complutense University of Madrid
Center in which the Master is taught: Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset
Credits: 60 ECTS
Price: 7,000 euros (UCM fees, between 800 and 1300 euros, depending on the origin of the student, community or not)
Duration: October - June
Start date: October 14
Information and contact: email@example.com
The Economic Analysis of Law is an innovative approach taught in the most prestigious universities in the world. It is a methodology that applies to problems of a legal or institutional nature, economic principles and reasoning, placing special emphasis on the efficiency of standards, contracts and institutions in general. The Master is the best way to achieve a solid economic training, rigorous and applied, in the shortest time possible, and is intended primarily for graduates in Law, Economics, Political Science and general graduates of Social Sciences
This Master has been verified by the National Agency for the Evaluation of Quality and Accreditation (ANECA), attached to the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport. The credits completed in the Master are automatically recognized for access to doctoral studies at any University of the European Higher Education Area.
Presentation and Objectives
The Economic Analysis of Law has become a fundamental work tool for a professional career. This Master will open the doors of a successful professional career, both to work in law firms or consulting firms, as to work in government positions, in public bodies or in international organizations.
It also allows professional development in the academic field because, being an official degree awarded by the Complutense University of Madrid, allows direct access to the development of the doctoral thesis and obtaining the title of Doctor.
This program offers a unique opportunity to carry out interdisciplinary and official postgraduate studies in Law and Economics.
The Economic Analysis of Law is an innovative approach taught in the most prestigious universities in the world. It is a methodology that applies to problems of a legal or institutional nature, economic principles and reasoning, placing special emphasis on the efficiency of standards, contracts and institutions in general. The Master is the best way to achieve a solid economic training, rigorous and applied, in the shortest possible time.
The Master is designed primarily for graduates in Law, Economics, Political Science and in general graduates of Social Sciences. It is an excellent program for graduates of different specialties and profiles who want to be trained in applied economic reasoning, above all to Law, but also to all regulation in a broad sense and to public policies. For those who do not have a background in Economics, Business Administration or other similar careers, the Master is the best way to achieve a solid, rigorous and applied economic training in the shortest possible time.
Competences that are acquired with this Master:
- Deep knowledge of the interaction between Law and Economics and the ability to give a multidisciplinary approach to legal, economic and social problems.
- Systematic understanding of the Economic Analysis of Law and its practical application.
- Capacity for planning and evaluation of various types of public policies.
- In-depth understanding of the main theoretical and practical aspects of public management.
- Ability to analyze and design alternative models of regulation in matters of civil liability, contracts and commercial law.
- Ability to analyze and formulate legislative proposals to reduce crime.
- Ability to analyze and formulate legislative proposals and public policies to improve the functioning of judicial systems.
- Ability to apply strategic analysis and models of Game Theory to specific situations.
- Knowledge of the different HR management models in the public sector and ability to analyze the incentives of public employment regulations.
- In-depth knowledge of models of social regulation in the area of public health, social security and the environment.
- Use of the main computer applications for econometric analysis.
- Ability to promote the advancement of Economic Analysis of Law in academic and professional contexts.
TRANSVERSAL OR GENERAL COMPETENCES
- Know how to apply the acquired knowledge and ability to solve problems in new or unfamiliar environments within broader contexts.
- Communicate conclusions, and the knowledge and ultimate reasons that sustain them, to specialized and non-specialized publics in a clear and unambiguous way.
- Possess the learning skills that allow to continue studying in a way that will have to be largely self-directed or autonomous.
- Acquire verbal and written communication skills that allow to express clearly and accurately, judgments, opinions, research results, advice, etc. to all types of public.
- Learn to search for information, locate documentary sources, and manage and exploit databases.
- Incorporate the analysis, ideas of gender equality, fundamental rights, non-discrimination, pacifism and democratic values in their professional development.
To take the Master's degree, it will be necessary to hold a university degree, undergraduate degree or similar. Students from foreign universities must apply for authorization to pursue postgraduate studies at the Complutense University of Madrid.
The Master consists of 60 credits (ECTS), which include face-to-face classes, methodological courses, seminars, lectures, internships and other complementary activities. It is required to present a Final Research Paper on a specific topic that will be chosen, by mutual agreement, between the student and the Master's Direction, and for which each student will be assigned an expert supervisor in the research topic.
The minimum number of ECTS credits per enrollment and teaching period, to obtain the title of Master's Degree in Economic Analysis of Law, is 60 ECTS under the full-time modality, and 30 ECTS in the part-time modality. If the student does not enroll or does not surpass all the necessary credits to obtain his / her title in a school period, he / she must abide by the stipulations of the General Rules of Permanence of the Complutense University of Madrid.
Academic Program Del Muaed
Subject: Microeconomics, Game Theory and Industrial Organization
PART I: Game Theory
1. Introduction: Why study Theory of Games?
2. Theory of Decision
3. Static games with complete information
4. Dynamic games with complete and perfect information
5. Repeated games
6. Advanced Topics of Game Theory
PART II: Microeconomics
1. The economic analysis. Micro and macroeconomics. The application of microeconomics to legal and social problems.
2. Market analysis. The economic agents. Basic theory of supply and demand.
3. The balance of the consumer
4. The theory of demand
5. Risk and uncertainty in economics
6. The theory of production. Productivity and yields
7. Cost analysis
8. Maximization of benefits.
9. Markets with asymmetric information. The problem of moral hazard. The principal-agent relationship.
PART III: Industrial Organization
1. Theory of industrial organization and economic regulation
2. Markets of imperfect competition
3. The norms and objectives of the antitrust policy. Economic analysis of the North American competition law. Evolution. Prohibited behavior
4. Competition law in Europe. Evolution. Some peculiarities in front of the North American model. The defense of competition in Spain.
5. Competition in the field of international economic relations
6. Two cases of study: A / the regulation of competition in the world of professional activity. B / Competition and intellectual property: the management of copyright.
Subject: AED Of Civil Liability, Contracts, Property And Corporate Governance
PART I: Economic Analysis of Law 1
1. General Theory
2. Economic Analysis of the Law of civil liability and damages
3. Economic Analysis of Property Law
PART II: Economic Analysis of Law 2
1. Economic Analysis of the Law of Contracts
2. Economic Analysis of Business Government
Subject: AED Criminal Law And Litigation
PART I: Analysis of the LITIGATION
1. The justice sector. Overview of the organizations and operators of the judicial system. Catalog of problems
2. Information Systems. Judicial statistics. Indicators of performance
3. Independence and impartiality. Corruption and transparency
4. The demand for judicial protection. Theory. Evidence: Litigation and efficiency of demand
5. Access to justice. Public defense Costs Legal services market
6. Endowments, production and efficiency of the Justice offer
PART II: Economic Analysis of Criminal Law
1. Economic Analysis of Criminal Law. Introduction
2. The economic model of sanctions and penalties. Why is civil liability not enough?
3. Marginal deterrence
4. Economic Analysis of Crime. How to fight crime? Is the control of weapons useful?
5. Crimes and penalties. The death penalty. Should prisons be public?
6. Economic Analysis of Terrorism
7. Economic Analysis of Constitutional Law
8. Public Choice
9. Economic Analysis of Bankruptcy Proceedings
Subject: STATISTICS AND DATA ANALYSIS
PART I: Legal Data Analysis 1
1. Data and statistics
2. Tabular methods and graphs
3. Numerical Methods
4. Probabilities and probability distributions
5. Point and interval estimation
PART II: Legal Data Analysis 2
2. Simple Regressions:
3. Multiple Regressions
5. Dichotomous variables
Subject: Public Policies and Judicial Reform
PART I: Public Policies
1. Prohibited contracts
2. Economic analysis of health
3. The efficient use of natural resources. Economic analysis of environmental problems
4. Economic analysis of discrimination in the labor market. Discrimination based on sex The anti-discrimination regulation, efficiency problems
PART II: Judicial Reform
1. Evaluation of the performance of judges and judicial organizations
2. Organization and management (1). Organization of the judicial system. Planning. Competence and training Audit. Court inspection. Office or judicial office.
3. Organization and management (2). Public budgets. Public contracting. Formulation and evaluation of projects.
4. Case management. Computer systems for procedural management
5. Measurement and analysis of duration
6. Measurement and analysis of efficacy
7. Quality analysis. Certainty and legal insecurity. Methods to know perceptions and opinions
8. Political economy and judicial reform. Transparency and responsibility
9. How to evaluate changes in procedural and substantive legislation with effects on the judicial system
10. How to estimate the hidden costs and the impact of justice on the economy
Subject: Economic Analysis Of Social Regulation
1. The regulation of the labor market.
2. The role of the unions
3. The regulation of family relationships.
4. Family policies
5. Retirement and pensions. Pension systems
Subject: Efficiency in Public Management
- The budgetary process of the AA.PP.
- The territorial financing system
- Financial relations with the EU
- Formulation, analysis and evaluation of Public Policies
- The new forms of public management:
Subject: RR.HH. IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR
1. The management of the RR.HH.
2. Diagnosis of the public HR model
3. Strategic planning of HR
4. HR management
5. Strategic HR management and leadership in the AAPP
6. HR quality management
7. Management of outsourced services
8. The reform plans of the Human Resources and modernization of the Public Administration
9. International experience: trends
10. The orientations of the OECD
11. The reform proposals in Spain
Final work of master
Optional subject: Business Crisis And Competitions
- The Final Master's Project can not be recognized, as it is aimed at evaluating the specific competences associated with the corresponding Master's degree from the UCM.
The recognition of credits may not exceed 40% of the credits corresponding to the Master's degree for which recognition is requested.
Effects of credit recognition
In the process of recognition will be reflected, explicitly, the number and type of ECTS credits that are recognized to the student, according to the contents and competencies that are accredited, and those subjects that should not be taken by the student.
In the student's file the subjects will be included as recognized, with the corresponding qualification. This qualification will be equivalent to that of the subjects that have given rise to the recognition. If necessary, the weighted average will be carried out when several subjects of origin entail the recognition of a single subject
1. Economic Analysis of the most important aspects of the new Spanish regulations on competitions
2. General assessment of the new law
3. Analysis of the credits in the contest
4. Credits of workers and those of the Public Treasury
5. Dilemma between conservation and liquidation
6. The new Bankruptcy Administration and the Commercial Courts
7. Reflections on the need to provide the Justice Administration with the necessary human and material resources to avoid failures in the application of the law
Transfer and Credit Recognition
Regulation on recognition and transfer of credits in the Master's degree programs of the Complutense University of Madrid. The essential function of this Regulation is to guarantee the right to mobility of students, both within the University itself, and among others in the Spanish university system and those integrated into the European Higher Education Area.
Recognition of credits. The recognition of credits supposes the acceptance by the UCM of the credits obtained in official educations of the UCM or of another University, or the providing academic effects to activities that, according to the Regulations of the UCM, have formative character for the student . The recognized credits will compute -in the percentages that depending on their origin are established-, to obtain an official degree.
Criteria for the recognition of credits in Master's degrees. The recognition of credits from the degree of origin of the student will be made to the official teaching of the Master's Degree in Economic Analysis of Law, according to the following criteria:
- The credits corresponding to subjects passed between official master's degrees can be recognized, depending on the adequacy between the competences and knowledge associated with the subjects of origin, and those provided for in the curriculum of the Master's degree for which the recognition of credits is requested.
- Credits obtained in official Bachelor, Higher Engineering or Architecture courses may be recognized, all of which are prior to RD 1393/2007, as long as they come from subjects linked to the second cycle of the same and attending to the same adaptation of competences.
- Credits in official doctorate courses regulated by RD 1393/2007, as well as by previous RD 185/1985 RD 778/1998 and RD 56/2005, may be recognized, taking into account the adequacy between the competences and knowledge associated with the subjects taken by the student and those planned in the Master's Degree that you wish to study.
- The number of credits that are subject to recognition, based on professional or work experience of similar level and unofficial university education, can not be higher, as a whole, to 15 percent of the total credits that constitute the curriculum (9 ECTS credits). The recognition of these credits will not incorporate qualification of the same, reason why they will not compute for the purposes of scaling of the file.
Transfer of credits
In accordance with RD 1393/2007, modified by RD 861/2010, the transfer of credits implies that in the official academic documents accrediting the Master's degree courses of the UCM, followed by each student, all the credits obtained in teaching will be included. official
The teaching guides are documents that specify all aspects of each of the subjects. The objectives, the skills that are acquired, the program, the bibliography, the training activities and the evaluation systems are described.
They are an important source of information for students, when deciding to join a program, or plan the academic development of a course.
In these documents you can consult the Teaching Guides of the subjects of the Master.
The students of Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset enrolled in the official Master's programs may apply for a scholarship from the Institute's Excellence Program. These scholarships will cover 30% of the tuition fee, excluding the fees paid to the University of reference.
Each student wishing to apply for an Excellence Scholarship will have to submit to the Institute's secretariat an application instance stating:
- Personal information
- The Master in which he is enrolled
- The documentation that contributes
- The scholarships that you have requested or intend to apply for in any public or private call
The scholarship application must be made at the time of registration, no later than September 10, 2019.
The application for the scholarship must be sent to the Institute's secretariat at the same time the payment of the reservation of the place is made.
The criteria for granting the scholarships are: academic record (70%), personal or family situation (10%), residence outside of Madrid in the year prior to enrollment (10%), and personal motivation (10%). Students must submit documentation that certifies each of these criteria and may attach two letters of recommendation from teachers. The Institute may request the selected students to prove the authenticity of the documents submitted with originals or certified copies.
The Academic Commission that grants the scholarships will be integrated by the director of the Institute, the general director of the José Ortega y Gasset - Gregorio Marañón Foundation and two professors of the Institute appointed at the proposal of the director of the Institute and the general director. The directors of each Master will send to the Institute's address, before November 15 of each year, a motivated report, according to the aforementioned criteria, with a scholarship award proposal in which a priority will be established among the students who have requested scholarship in his Master. The Commission, according to the reports received, will raise a scholarship award proposal before December 1 of each year.
The Excellence Scholarships of Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset are incompatible with any other public or private scholarship granted to the student to take the Master in which he has enrolled in the Institute. The scholarship holder is obliged to inform the Institute of any other scholarship granted, within a period of 10 days from its granting. The Institute will claim the student the amount that would have been granted for the Excellence Scholarship of the Institute if this circumstance occurred.
The amount of the scholarship will be applied to the last term of the tuition payment. The Institute may request scholarship students to carry out extracurricular practices in support of the teaching, research and cultural activities of the institution, which will be recognized by a certificate. These practices do not imply a labor or commercial relationship with the institution or be remunerated.
Scholarships of the ALUMNI Program
Former students of Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset will be entitled to a 5% discount on any new program they enroll. This discount, which will be considered a scholarship, will be applied to the tuition fee, excluding the fees paid to the University of reference. The discount will be applied in the last installment of the tuition payment.
To apply for this scholarship, the student will have to submit an application to the Institute's secretariat, as well as the documentation that proves that he or she has been a student of the Institute.
In no case, this discount will be applied to second or successive enrollments of subjects that have not been approved or to subjects of the same program that have not been completed in the first year of enrollment.
Discount for prompt payment
Students who formalize the first payment of their enrollment in any official Master of the Institute before May 16, this included, will be entitled to a scholarship of 5% discount of the tuition fee, excluding the fees paid to the University of reference.
The discount will be applied in the last installment of the tuition payment. Students must submit an application to the secretary of the Institute, along with proof of the first payment before May 16.
Find out about the preferred financing conditions for your postgraduate studies. We believe that economic issues should not be an obstacle in your training.
About the School
Fundado en 1986, el Instituto Universitario de Investigación Ortega y Gasset (IUIOG) es un centro de posgrado e investigación equivalente, en esencia, a las graduate schools de las universidades norte ... Read More