The current globalized international society is increasingly complex, dynamic and interdependent. In addition, together with the States, a significant number of other actors participate, such as International Organizations, sub-state entities, NGOs and transnational companies, among others. All these entities need to equip themselves with highly qualified personnel in international politics and action , as well as being multilingual and with negotiation, communication and leadership skills.
The Master's Degree in Diplomacy and International Organizations has the objective of training professionals to be diplomats, officials of international organizations such as the United Nations and the European Union, experts and advisers from international entities, (NGOs, Consulting), managers of international projects in the Administration.
This preparation is completed with a compulsory internship stay at Embassies, Consulates, Permanent Representations, International Organizations, private companies, non-profit organizations and others.
The Master's Degree in Diplomacy and International Organizations is an OFFICIAL degree, which is taught from the Center for International Studies, a Center Attached to the University of Barcelona. The main advantages of an Official Master's Degree are international recognition, access to a Doctorate in the Spanish Higher Education system and to Scholarships from the Ministry of Education.
- Know the structure, operation, skills and access mechanisms and prepare for a professional path in the diplomatic corps, in an International Organization, the European Union and multinational companies.
- Know and understand the functioning of the European Union, its external relations, the common commercial policy, the internal market and the right of competition and the free movement of people, among other areas.
- Know and know how to apply the legal principles of diplomacy and paradiplomacy, and especially the national internal law that affects relations, and international law, international trade law, and international contracting and arbitration.
- Know the principles of environmental protection and the management of energy resources from a legal, political and economic perspective, as well as the principles and institutions of sustainable development.
All those university graduates interested in the subject.
- International official of the UN, NATO, the EU, and many other International Organizations.
- Advisor and technician of public institutions in international matters, and therefore, work in the central and regional Administration, Provincial Councils, City Councils ...
- Personnel of the communication departments and the international area of companies, foundations, academic centers ...
- Work in consulates of other States accredited in Spain.
- Expert in concrete matters of international relations in NGOs.
The second part of the training of the Master's Degree in Diplomacy and International Organizations is focused on the realization of a compulsory internship stay for all the students of the Master, lasting between 3 and 6 months, in an international institution or organization that develops tasks related to the training content of the master. These internships count 18 ECTS.
The practices are managed from the CEI, ensuring that all the students enrolled in the Master carry out their obligatory compulsory practices.
Our students have completed internships in the following places, among others:
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation:
- Embassies (United States, Singapore, Namibia, Belgium, Kazakhstan, Philippines, New Zealand, Denmark, France, Sweden, Berlin, Japan, Singapore, The Hague)
- Consulates (Peru, United States, Pakistan, Israel)
- Permanent representations to international organizations (Geneva, Washington, New York, Paris)
- Central Services in Madrid
- Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation (OTCs in Jordan, Bolivia, Peru, Dominican Republic, Mauritania)
The Diplomatic School of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation has included in the BOE the Master's Degree in Diplomacy and International Organizations (former Master's Degree in Diplomacy and International Civil Service) as one of the selected to access the School's economic scholarships Diploma for students in practices in Embassies, Consulates and Permanent Representations of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation.
- United Nations:
- Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in Geneva
- United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations in New York
- Committee on the Rights of the Child in Geneva
- United Nations Volunteers: Special Peacekeeping Mission in Ivory Coast
- United Nations Environment Program
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) in Vienna
- Organization for Agriculture and Food (FAO)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- International Labor Organization (ILO)
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
- International Criminal Court
- European Court of Human Rights (Council of Europe)
- European Commission: Directorate General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Directorate General for Growth, European External Action Service
- Union for the Mediterranean
- Mexican Commission for the Defense and Promotion of Human Rights
- Generalitat of Catalonia: Secretariat for Foreign Action and the European Union, Delegation of the Generalitat in Brussels
- Barcelona Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Navigation
- Treball Promotion
- Banco Sabadell (Barcelona and Andorra)
- CaixaBank and "la Caixa"
- Puig Corporation
- Ernst & Young
- Ideaborn (International Human Rights Consultants)
- Education Without Borders
- Red Cross
In all cases, the CEI International Affairs will support each candidature and will make the maximum efforts so that the candidate can pass this second selection process, but does not assume the responsibility of his final election.
If they do not pass the selection process by the host institution or if they give up doing an internship due to work, age or work experience, they may be validated by a research work of 18 ECTS (it may be a continuation of the final Master's Project required) so that no student is left without being eligible for the Master's degree. This work will be supervised, with timely information on its characteristics.
In addition, we must always bear in mind that, in spite of having passed both selection processes, in order to be able to move to do the practicals, the academic part must have been passed (passing each subject with at least 5). The costs of the internship stay are borne by the student.
About the School
El CEI International Affairs es una institución que trabaja con y para los profesionales de la diplomacia y las relaciones internacionales. El objetivo primordial es ayudarles a mejorar sus conocimien ... Read More