The current globalized international society is increasingly complex, dynamic and interdependent. In addition, together with the States, a significant number of other actors participate, such as International Organizations, sub-state entities, NGOs and transnational corporations, among others. All these entities need to have a highly qualified staff in international politics and action , as well as multilingual and with negotiation, communication and leadership skills.
The Master in International Diplomacy and Public Function aims to train professionals to be diplomats, officials of international organizations such as the United Nations and the European Union, experts and advisors of international entities, (NGOs, Consulting ...), international project managers in the Administration, etc., in the hands of the best specialists and professionals in each sector.
This preparation is completed with a mandatory internship in Embassies, Consulates, Permanent Representations, International Organizations, private companies, non-profit organizations and others.
- Know the structure, operation, skills and access mechanisms and prepare for a professional path in the diplomatic corps, in an International Organization, the European Union and multinational companies.
- Know and understand the functioning of the European Union, its external relations, the common commercial policy, the internal market and the right of competition and the free movement of people, among other areas.
- Know and know how to apply the legal principles of diplomacy and paradiplomacy, and especially the national internal law that affects relations, and international law, international trade law, and international contracting and arbitration.
- Know the principles of environmental protection and the management of energy resources from a legal, political and economic perspective, as well as the principles and institutions of sustainable development.
All those university graduates interested in the subject.
- International official of the UN, NATO, the EU, and many other International Organizations.
- Advisor and technician of public institutions in international matters, and therefore, work in the central and regional Administration, Provincial Councils, City Councils ...
- Personnel of the communication departments and the international area of companies, foundations, academic centers ...
- Work in consulates of other States accredited in Spain.
- Expert in concrete matters of international relations in NGOs.
The Master is divided into two parts: academic training and training through professional internships.
Academic Training (36 ECTS) (duration of 7-8 months)
4 Compulsory Common Modules
International Legal and Institutional Order (6 ECTS)
- The legal system of the international community (3 ECTS)
- International Institutional Law. The international public function (3 ECTS)
International Politics and Economics (6 ECTS)
- The political governance of globalization (3 ECTS)
- The economic governance of globalization (3 ECTS)
Diplomacy and Peace (6 ECTS)
- Diplomatic and consular law. Paradiplomacy (3 ECTS)
- Institutions for the maintenance of peace and security (3 ECTS)
Skills (6 ECTS)
- Skills I (3 ECTS)
- Skills II (3 ECTS)
(In each specialty it is necessary to take a total of 2 modules of 6 ECTS each)
Specialization in Human Rights and Development Cooperation
International protection of the individual (6 ECTS)
- Institutions for the international protection of human rights (3 ECTS)
- International human right. International criminal law (3 ECTS)
Cooperation and sustainable development (6 ECTS)
- Development cooperation (3 ECTS)
- Sustainable development and protection of the environment (3 ECTS)
Specialization in European and International Economic Relations
The European Union as an international actor (6 ECTS)
- Institutions and decision making in the European Union. The European public function (3 ECTS)
- External relations and foreign policy of the European Union (3 ECTS)
International and European Trade (6 ECTS)
- International law of trade and foreign investment (3 ECTS)
- Internal market and competition in the European Union (3 ECTS)
Compulsory professional practices (24 ECTS)
(from 4 to 6 months)
Each student must complete a mandatory internship of four to six months in an institution or international organization. CEI International Affairs facilitates internships in a series of collaborating institutions and promotes other practices that are of interest to students. In all cases, candidates must overcome the internal selection process of the destination institution. The costs of the internship stay are borne by the student.
The second part of the Master's training is focused on the completion of a compulsory internship for all students of the Master , lasting between 4 and 6 months, in an institution or international organization that develops tasks related to the training content of the master. These internships compute 24 ECTS.
The practices are sought, managed and adjudicated from the CEI , so all students enrolled in the Master perform their compulsory practices.
Our students have completed internships in the following places, among others:
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation: Embassies (United States, Singapore, Namibia, Belgium, Kazakhstan, Philippines, New Zealand, Denmark, France, Sweden, Berlin, Tokyo, Singapore, The Hague ...), Consulates (Peru , United States, Pakistan, Israel), permanent representations before international organizations (Geneva, Washington, New York, Paris ...).
- United Nations Organization : Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in Geneva; Department of Peacekeeping Operations of the United Nations in New York; Committee on the Rights of the Child in Geneva, United Nations Volunteers: Special peacekeeping mission in Côte d'Ivoire.
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) in Vienna
- International Criminal Court
- Organization for Agriculture and Food (FAO)
- International Labor Organization (ILO)
- International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- European Court of Human Rights (Council of Europe)
- European Comission.
- Generalitat of Catalonia: Secretariat of External Action and of the European Union house Asia
- Banco Sabadell (Barcelona and Andorra)
- Puig Corporation
- Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Navigation of Barcelona
- Ideaborn (international consultants on Human Rights)
- Education Without Borders
CEI International Affairs has also facilitated internships in:
- Chamber of international trade
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
- CaixaBank and Fundación Bancaria "la Caixa"
- CEIEC (China National Electronics Import and Export Corporation)
- Feeling Store
In all cases, the CEI International Affairs will support each candidature and will make the maximum efforts so that the candidate can pass this second selection process, but does not assume the responsibility of his final election.
In case of not passing the selection process by the host institution or in case of renouncing the realization of an internship for work, age or work experience, they may be validated by a research work of 24 ECTS , in order to that no student is left without being able to choose the Master's degree. This work will be supervised, informing itself opportunely about its characteristics.
In addition, we must always bear in mind that, in spite of having passed both selection processes, in order to be able to move to do the practicals, the academic part must have been passed (passing each subject with at least 5). The costs of the internship stay are borne by the student.
- Graduates, graduates, engineers or architects (or who lack a maximum of 10% of the credits).
- With international vocation
- With basic knowledge on international issues.
- With a high level of English (spoken and written).
Pre-registration and access tests
Both the pre-registration and the entrance exams take place in the CEI International Affairs. It is a bilingual written test (Spanish and English) and oral defense on basic topics of international relations. The master's degree advises on how to prepare this test.
Price proof of access: € 130 *
Upcoming access tests:
* In no case will the payment of the access test be returned. If the student cancels his / her registration before the start of the course, the money will not be refunded (except for causes of force majeure). The amount of the course will not be refunded when it has started.
Registration for the 2019-2020 academic year will be possible from January 15 to June 28, 2019 .
Documents to attach to the registration form:
- Completed registration form
- Certified photocopy of the university degree or the corresponding substitute certificate.
- Photocopy of the academic record.
- Photocopy of ID card, passport or ID document (EU countries).
- Curriculum Vitae (with photograph)
- Motivation letter.
- 2 letters of recommendation (academic or work, in Spanish or English).
- Proof of payment of € 130, to be able to perform admission tests.
Maria José Vilches
"I believe that these practices have added a very important input in my training to console, (...) the assessment of my practices is that they have been most positive in all respects, both personal and professional and I left with regret, with desire to return to be able to contribute everything we have talked with those who were my bosses and colleagues and keep learning. " He did his internship in the Secretariat of Foreign Affairs of the Generalitat; Former student of the Master in Diplomacy and International Civil Service (2011-2012)
Juan Camilo Gómez
"Having done my internship in the Department of Peacekeeping Operations of the United Nations, I had the great opportunity to learn more about the organization's operations and I was able to carry out research on very interesting cases in Africa, where situations of tension are latent and the role of the United Nations (UN) is key to the development and improvement of these, I believe that more than a professional and academic experience, it has been a great experience of life to have witnessed different events such as the Assembly General 67 or the different presentations of the operations of the department before the Security Council. " He did his internship in the Department of Peacekeeping Operations of the UN, New York; Former student of the Master in Diplomacy and International Civil Service (2011-2012)
Javier Rodríguez del Viso
"I decided to take the Master in International Diplomacy and Public Function for two reasons: my desire to reorient my professional career towards international organizations and the recognized prestige of the CEI My decision was entirely correct." Thanks to this Master I got an internship in the Organization of the United Nations for Industrial Development in Vienna, where I was subsequently hired as an international consultant in the Business, Investment and Technological Innovation Unit. " Expert and evaluator in the European Commission; Former student of the Master in Diplomacy and International Civil Service (2011-2012)
"For some the practices proposed by the Master of Diplomacy and International Public Function have turned out to be an experience to know a different country, culture, and nation, but for me, it has meant something else." In this adventure proposed by the CEI, I have needed to leave Barcelona to live a new experience that will teach me to develop in the professional world, these practices have meant a step forward not only in my academic training but also professional in giving me the opportunity to start in this second field, from a great company, in one of the best valued banks in the market, but especially from an entity that is a big family like Banco Sabadell. " Operations Officer at JF Hillebrand Global Beverage Logistics. He did his internship at Banco Sabadell; Former student of the Master in Diplomacy and International Civil Service (2011-2012)
"In these practices as a young professional in the Spanish Embassy in the United States, I have managed to achieve the objectives pursued by the Master in Diplomacy and International Public Function, thanks to which I have had the necessary skills that were required for the realization of these practices." He did his internship at the Embassy of Spain in the United States; Former student of the Master in Diplomacy and International Civil Service (2011-2012)
"The experience in FAO was much more than I imagined for myself, I enriched values, I expanded and strengthened knowledge and skills, and I grew every day on a personal and professional level, and had the honor of working together with the best professionals. in the areas to which I would like to dedicate my professional future and do it in a multicultural environment that was much more interesting and enriching than I could have ever imagined. " He did his internship in the FAO (United Nations Organization for Food and Agriculture); Former student of the Master in Diplomacy and International Civil Service (2011-2012)
Program taught in: