- Type of education: Face-to-face.
- Number of new entry places offered: 40
- Total credits: 60
- Languages taught: Spanish.
- Guide price: € 45.02 per credit.
- Master's Scholarship: see relevant information here .
The Master's Degree in Archeology of the Mediterranean in Classical Antiquity is aimed at all those students who have completed a Bachelor's Degree or Degree in History, Humanities and related degrees who wish to study in depth topics in Classical Archeology. Its academic-scientific nature will enable the training of researchers in the area of Classical and Postclassic Archeology.
The formative offer of the Master includes contents that provide critical and specialized knowledge of the past in the Mediterranean area, both in its evolutionary development and in the specificity of its documentary, numismatic, epigraphic, artistic and archaeological sources, so that the student is able to assess the survival and influences of it in the whole of historical evolution.
At the end of the Master, the student will be able to tackle, from an innovative perspective, problems characteristic of Mediterranean Archeology in Classical Antiquity.
Academic year 2020-21
|605103||Archeology of the Spanish-Roman Cities||Mandatory||6.0||Yes|
|605102||Archeology of Rome and Lazio||Mandatory||6.0||Yes|
|605111||Roman Military Archeology||Optional||6.0||Yes|
|605112||Late and Early Medieval Archeology in the Iberian Peninsula||Optional||6.0||Yes|
|605106||Greek and Roman sculpture||Optional||6.0||Yes|
|605105||Iconography and Society in the Classical World||Optional||6.0||Yes|
|605101||The Greeks in the West||Mandatory||6.0||Yes|
|605100||Current Methodological Trends in Classical and Postclassic Archeology||Mandatory||6.0||Yes|
|605114||Final Master's Project (Archeology of the Mediterranean in Classical Antiquity)||End of Master's Project||12.0||Yes|
Academic preparation and initiation to research in Classical Archeology through advanced training consisting of delving into specialized monographic topics on cultures developed in the Mediterranean area during the classical and medieval times. Not only the neuralgic centers of Classical Archeology (Greece and Rome), but also the reflection of these cultures in the Iberian Peninsula over time, especially in the Mediterranean area, are the object of study of this University Master's Degree.
The specific objectives pursued by the University Master are:
- Provide a rational and critical knowledge of the past in the Mediterranean area, both in its evolutionary development and in the specificity of its sources (archaeological, epigraphic, numismatic), so that the student is in a position to assess the persistence and influences of the past classic in historical evolution.
- Provide adequate familiarity, at an advanced level of knowledge, with the terminology and conceptual and mental categories characteristic of Archeology studies in the Mediterranean basin.
- Transmit methods, techniques and instruments of analysis to the student. In short, reflection and work tools through which you can obtain knowledge about new theories and methodological perspectives, as well as develop your critical judgment in order to develop new knowledge from the transmitted ones.
At the end of this University Master's Degree, the student must be in a position to tackle, from a renewed perspective, questions related to Archeology of the Mediterranean in Classical Antiquity, either from the analysis of historical dynamics or from the study of its sources knowledge plus features.
This University Master's Degree is preferably aimed at graduates and graduates in Archeology, History, Humanities and related degrees who wish to study in depth topics in Classical and Postclassical Archeology in the Mediterranean area. Its academic-scientific nature will enable the training of researchers in the areas of Classical and Postclassic Archeology.
Admission to the University Master's Degree must be ratified by the Academic Coordination Commission, which will study the documentation submitted by the candidates and will assess, among others, the following merits: academic record, curriculum vitae and adequacy of previous training to the contents of the Master's degree
Why study this master?
Archeology of the Mediterranean in Classical Antiquity constitutes one of the few master's degrees that exist today in Spain focused specifically on the field of Classical Archeology, which includes in its training offer extensive content of specialization and research, making it possible to continue training with a PhD program.
The quality of the teaching of its professors is endorsed by a qualified teaching experience, in addition to a wide and diversified research work through publications, projects and research groups and excavations in Spain and abroad (Portugal, France, Great Britain, Italy , Tunisia, Greece, Arabia, etc.).
The UCM Faculty of Geography and History has its own teaching resources and equipment such as the Archeology laboratories and the CAI (Research Support Center), through which instrumental support for research in Classical Archeology is guaranteed.
Students will have the opportunity to carry out archaeological practices in scientific institutions (San Fernando Academy of Fine Arts), sites (Segóbriga, Calatrava la Vieja, Castro de Picote -Portugal-), museums (National Archaeological Museum) and archeology companies within and outside Spain, through the agreements in force and in progress.
In addition to preparing for the completion of a doctoral thesis, the degree enhances students' capacities for professional practice in professional activities as an archaeologist in companies in the field, who carry out prospecting and excavation work, environmental impact studies and museography, etc. . It also qualifies for contracts in the administration (heritage technicians in the autonomous and municipal administration, museum curators, etc.), and prepares qualified technicians in heritage and cultural dissemination, teaching, etc.
Admission requirements for masters
Non-enabling university masters
- Be in possession of any of the following titles:
- Spanish official university degree .
- Title issued by an institution of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) and empowering in the country of issue for access to Master's education.
- Title of educational systems outside the EHEA that empowers in the country of issuance for access to Master's education, homologated or declared equivalent to the degree and academic level of Degree or Degree by the Ministry of Education and Vocational Training . In case of lacking the mentioned homologation or equivalency, it will be necessary to have authorization or access permission granted by this University.
- Or be carrying out during the course in which you pre-enroll studies leading to the obtaining of any of the previous degrees and be in a position to prove the obtaining of the same before September 30, 2020 .
- In addition, students from foreign educational systems, whose mother tongue is different from Spanish, must prove level B2 of the Spanish language (or higher) .
- Specific requirements that any of the requested masters may have. You can consult it by accessing the website of the Master itself.
About the School
La Universidad Complutense de Madrid (UCM) es una institución de larga trayectoria y amplio reconocimiento social que aspira a situarse entre las primeras universidades de Europa y a consolidarse como ... Read More