Master of Education Degree (MEd)
- Prospective candidates will have obtained a BEd (Hons).
- A suitable four year professional bachelor’s degree plus a teacher’s diploma/ teaching qualification and work experience in the proposed field of specialisation.
- A teacher’s diploma /teaching qualification, plus an appropriate honours degree and work experience in the proposed field of specialisation. The Education knowledge of such candidates will be assessed by the Head of Department and the subject expert in the proposed field of specialisation and a reading programme may be prescribed prior to registration.
Additional selection criteria
Academic performance: students need to have attained a minimum of 65% in their previous degree. If 65% was not attained, prior learning and experience in the field may be taken into consideration and students could be allowed to register based on a pre-registration research proposal which is accepted by the academic department in which the student will be registering.
- Full dissertation: A dissertation on an approved topic in the field of Education. All students must attend a short learning programme in research methodology.
- Coursework and minor-dissertation: All students must attend a short learning programme in research methodology.
Students choose one of the following as an area of specialisation:
- Curriculum Policy Evaluation (M5CPEQ)
- Inclusive Education (MED099) Pipeline students only
- Life and Career Orientation (M5LCOQ)
- Teacher Education (M5TEDQ)
- Educational Linguistics (M5EDLQ)
- Values and Human Rights in Education (M5VHRQ)
- Adult Education (M5AEDQ)
- Higher Education (M5HEDQ)
- Mathematics and Science Education (M5MSEQ)
- Philosophy of Education (M5PHEQ)
- Psychology of Education (MED107) Pipeline students only
- Information and Communication Technology in Education (M5ICTQ)
- Numeracy in the Foundation Phase (MED117) Pipeline students only
- Mathematics Education (MED105) Pipeline students only
- Science Education (Natural, Physical and Life Sciences) (MED108) Pipeline students only
- Comparative and International Education (M5CIEQ)
For admission to the field of Philosophy of Education, prospective candidates will have obtained a bachelor’s honours degree and work experience relevant to the proposed field of specialisation. The education knowledge of such students will be assessed by the Head of Department and the subject expert in the proposed field of specialisation and a reading programme may be prescribed.
Master of Education in Educational Psychology
Course work and minor-dissertation: A prospective student must hold the BEd (Hons) Educational Psychology degree with an average of at least 65% plus either a BEd teaching degree or a PGCE. Honours in Psychology will be considered, provided the student completes at least three modules relevant to the Master’s degree on a BEd honours level.
Additional selection criteria: In addition, all prospective candidates will be subject to selection in which field-related experience in psychology, education, training and development are considered. The application form for the selection procedure needs to be submitted at the end of July of the year prior to the year of planned registration.
Students are required to complete the minor-dissertation in the academic programme before commencing with internship. In order to register as an educational psychologist with the Health Professions Council, the candidate must, apart from having obtained the MEd (Educational Psychology) degree, also complete an internship at an institution approved by the said Council. This internship does not, however, form part of the requirements for obtaining the degree.
Master of Education in Educational Management
Coursework and minor-dissertation. A prospective student must hold the BEd Hons in Educational Management degree or an appropriate equivalent degree. A minimum of 65% in the approved BEd Hons or the equivalent is also required.
Faculty contact details
For application and more information about the Faculty of Education
Auckland Park Kingsway Campus Tel. 011 553 3251
Soweto Campus Tel. 011 559 5562
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 28, 2017