Dealing with change in complex societies
The programme enables developing the kind of knowledge and expertise that is needed to lead and analyse complex change processes. It responds to the need for new kinds of leadership competencies and skills, which are in demand at local, national, international and global levels.
By interacting with staff members from various disciplines – business, governance, politics and international relations – as well as with different societal stakeholders, students will learn to foster new forms of engagement across sectors of the economy and society.
The programme prepares the graduates to work in private, public or the third sector in tasks that involve analysing, planning and steering complex change processes. The business specialisation provides students with an in-depth understanding of leading and managing change in contemporary business environments.
Students explore how societal and technological changes redefine the boundaries of and possibilities for sustainable business value creation and innovations. The focus is on understanding the challenges and opportunities business organisations face when creating innovative and sustainable solutions for future businesses. Students learn to analyse and develop sustainable business concepts which will benefit stakeholders and society at large.
The studies consist of cross-disciplinary joint programme studies (30 ECTS), specialisation-specific advanced studies (25 ECTS), elective studies (25 ECTS) and the master’s thesis (40 ECTS).
After completing the Master’s Degree Programme in Leadership for Change you will have:
- an advanced understanding of the role of leadership in solving contemporary challenges at local, national, regional and global levels.
- learned to examine global trends such as digitisation, urbanisation, climate change, ageing, polarisation, democratisation and integration from a multidisciplinary perspective.
- the skills to foster new forms of engagement across sectors of the economy and society learned in interaction with staff members from various disciplines – business, governance, politics and international relations – as well as with different societal stakeholders.
- the theoretical and methodological skills needed to formulate relevant research problems and to undertake independent scientific work.
- the skills to analyse and debate the challenges that leadership faces today and to communicate your views to multiple audiences using different channels of communication.
The specialisation in business provides students with an in-depth understanding of managing change in the contemporary business landscape. Students will explore how societal and technological changes redefine the boundaries of and possibilities for the sustainable renewal of business value creation and innovations. Focus will be placed on understanding the challenges and opportunities business organisations face when trying to create sustainable solutions for future businesses. Students will learn to develop current and to create future business concepts in a sustainable way for the benefit of customers, employees and owners as well as other stakeholders and society at large.
The business specialisation consists of studies in management and organisations, economics and risk management, customer-oriented marketing and management accounting, as well as in responsible business. The teaching faculty comprise leading Finnish and international scholars in corresponding fields.
Students graduating from this specialisation will be awarded a Master of Science (Economics and Business Administration) degree.
Structure of studies
The programme (120 ECTS credits) consists of four elements:
- Joint programme studies (30 ECTS) form the core of the master’s degree programme. The focus is on cross-disciplinary perspectives on leadership in complex societal processes. This module also focuses on a variety of important academic skills, which are also beneficial for future employment (e.g. research methods, academic writing and presentation skills).
- The advanced studies module (25 ECTS) enables the students to acquire in-depth theoretical, methodological and conceptual knowledge in their chosen specialisation: business, politics or public administration.
- Through elective studies (25 ECTS), students can develop a unique study profile based on their interests.
- Master’s thesis (40 ECTS) is an individual research project that enables the student to demonstrate his/her in-depth knowledge of the chosen specialisation.
The programme prepares the graduates to work in private, public or the third sector in tasks that involve analysing, planning and steering complex change processes, which unfold at local, national, international and global levels. Students learn to carry out academic research on these phenomena and acquire skills required for a potential academic career.
Postgraduate study opportunities
The programme gives eligibility for postgraduate studies in administrative sciences, social sciences (international relations, political science) and business studies, for example in the doctoral programmes offered by Tampere University.
Tuition fees and scholarships
The tuition fee for the programme is 12,000 euros per academic year for non-EU/EEA students with a scholarship system for fee-paying students.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. a citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Tampere University Scholarships Programme is intended for students who are required to pay tuition fees in Master’s degree programmes offered in English. A substantial number of scholarships will be available. With the help of the scholarship programme, Tampere University provides excellent international students with high-quality, yet affordable, education.
When filling in your application form for a Master’s degree programme, you have the possibility to indicate your wish to apply for a scholarship. The decision on the granted scholarship will be communicated to you together with information on admission.
Program taught in: