Dealing with change in complex societies
The programme enables developing the kind of knowledge and expertise that is needed to lead and analyse complex change processes. It responds to the need for new kinds of leadership skills which are in demand at local, national, international and global levels.
By interacting with staff members from various disciplines – business, governance, politics and international relations – as well as with different societal stakeholders, students will learn to foster new forms of engagement across sectors of the economy and society. The programme prepares the graduates to work in the private, public or third sector in tasks that involve analysing, planning and steering complex change processes.
The specialisation in European and global politics gives students a solid academic basis to understand the interaction of political processes at a local, national, regional, international and global level. The focus is on analysing and leading change with regard to political participation and decision-making, dynamics of integration and disintegration, international security issues as well as questions of political economy and governance.
The students are offered the possibility to apply to the Cross-Border International Relations Double Degree Programme with St. Petersburg State University. The studies consist of cross-disciplinary joint programme studies (30 ECTS), specialisation-specific advanced studies (25 ECTS), elective studies (25 ECTS) and the master’s thesis (40 ECTS).
After completing the Master’s Degree Programme in Leadership for Change you will have:
- an advanced understanding of the role of leadership in solving contemporary challenges at a local, national, regional and global level.
- learned to examine global trends such as digitization, urbanization, climate change, ageing, polarization, democratization and integration from a multidisciplinary perspective.
- the skills to foster new forms of engagement across sectors of the economy and society learned in interaction with staff members from various disciplines – business, governance, politics and international relations – as well as with different societal stakeholders.
- the theoretical and methodological skills to formulate relevant research problems and to undertake independent scientific work.
- the skills to analyse and debate the challenges that leadership faces today and to communicate your views to multiple audiences using different channels of communication.
The specialisation in politics gives students a solid academic basis to understand the interaction of political processes at a local, national, regional, international and global level. The focus is on analysing and leading change with regard to political participation and decision-making, dynamics of integration and disintegration, international security issues as well as questions of political economy and governance.
Students of the politics specialisation have the opportunity to specialise in these questions in the context of the EU and European politics, EU-Russian relations as well as the political dynamics of Northern Europe and Wider Europe. The teaching staff of the politics specialisation comprises several internationally esteemed experts in the field of European and Russian politics.
Students specialising in politics and international relations also have the opportunity to apply to the Cross-Border International Relations double degree programme organized in cooperation with two well-known Russian universities, St. Petersburg State University and Petrozavodsk State University.
Students graduating from this specialisation will be awarded a Master of Social Sciences degree.
Structure of studies
The programme (120 ECTS credits) consists of four elements:
- Joint programme studies (30 ECTS) form the core of the master’s degree programme. The focus is on cross-disciplinary perspectives on leadership in complex societal processes. This module also focuses on a variety of important academic and employability skills (e.g. research methods, academic writing and presentation skills)
- The advanced studies module (25 ECTS) enables the students to acquire in-depth theoretical, methodological and conceptual knowledge in their chosen specialisation: business, politics or public administration.
- Through free-choice studies (25 ECTS) students can develop a unique profile in their studies based on individual interests.
- Master’s thesis (40 ECTS) is an individual research project that enables the student to demonstrate his/her in-depth knowledge of the chosen specialisation.
The programme prepares the graduates to work in private, public or the third sector in tasks that involve analysing, planning and steering complex change processes, which unfold at local, national, international and global levels. Students learn to carry out academic research on these phenomena and acquire skills required for a potential academic career.
Postgraduate study opportunities
The programme gives eligibility for postgraduate studies in Administrative Sciences, Social Sciences (International Relations, Political Science) and Business Studies, for example in TUNI’s Doctoral Programme of Faculty of Management.
Tuition fees and scholarships
The tuition fee for the programme is 12,000 euros per academic year for non-EU/EEA students with a scholarship system for fee-paying students.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. a citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Tampere University Scholarships Programme is intended for students who are required to pay tuition fees in Master’s degree programmes offered in English. A substantial number of scholarships will be available. With the help of the scholarship programme, Tampere University provides excellent international students with high-quality, yet affordable, education.
When filling in your application form for a Master’s degree programme, you have the possibility to indicate your wish to apply for a scholarship. The decision on the granted scholarship will be communicated to you together with information on admission.
Program taught in: