BUILD A CAREER IN INFORMATION SECURITY TECHNOLOGY AND CRYPTOGRAPHY!
THE CRYPTOGRAPHY AND DATA SECURITY MAJOR SUBJECT IN THE MASTER’S DEGREE PROGRAMME IN INFORMATION SECURITY AND CRYPTOGRAPHY FOCUSES ON THE MATHEMATICAL FOUNDATIONS OF CRYPTOGRAPHY AND DATA SECURITY.
The Cryptography and Data Security major subject educates future experts with strong and broad knowledge on mathematical aspects of cryptography and data security. The students may also complement their theoretical knowledge with the courses of the Networked Systems Security in order to obtain profound and substantial education and expertise in the networked systems security and field of technology.
- Advanced-level studies in the major subject 50 ECTS credits
- Language, intermediate level and optional studies 40 ECTS credits
- Thesis for the Master of Science degree 30 ECTS credits
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE & EXPERIENCE
The Master’s Degree Programme in Information Security and Cryptography is a two-year programme. The Cryptography and Data Security major subject focuses on mathematical aspects of cryptography and data security. The covered topics include:
- modern asymmetric and symmetric cryptosystems,
- cryptographic protocols and
- algorithms related to information security.
In addition to the theoretical aspects, you will also learn to apply cryptographic algorithms and protocols in real-life environments. This goal is ensured by the multi-disciplinary studies of the major. Besides mathematics courses, you will also have compulsory studies both in networked systems security and management aspects of information security.
MASTER'S THESIS & TOPICS
In the Master’s thesis, you must prove your ability to conduct scientific research and to produce mathematical text. You need to master the research methods, knowledge of the research field and skill of scientific writing.
The goal of the Master’s thesis is to
- train students in independent problem solving for demanding research questions
- to train students in presentation and argumentation skills, both oral and written
- train students in search and critical evaluation of information
- train students in mathematical argumentation
- develop an ability to engage in a constructive dialogue with related disciplines
- gain insight into actual research and development work as well as the possibilities and constraints of information security methods in the application domain and in the society at large.
Examples of thesis topics:
- Private Evaluation of Decision Tree Classifiers
- A Study of Privacy Preserving Queries with Bloom Filters
- Elliptic Curve Cryptosystems: Comparing Weierstrass, Hesse and Edwards Curves
- One-way Function and Their Application in Protocols
CRYPTOGRAPHY EXPERTISE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TURKU
Information security education and research at the University of Turku has long traditions. Academician Arto Salomaa started cryptography research and teaching in Turku in the Department of Mathematics already in the 1980’s. The Department of Mathematics and Statistics has been pioneering in introducing mathematical cryptography and in particular public key cryptography to Finland. In 2007, the expertise in this area was recognized by the Ministry of Justice when the department was asked to audit the security of the system used in the 2008 experiment of e-voting in Finland. In addition to cryptography, the closely related topics of coding theory, computability and theory of automata have always been areas of strength at the department.
In the programme, based on the newest research, you will obtain profound and substantial knowledge on the mathematical aspects of cryptography and data security as well as the experience of applying the theoretical knowledge on real-life scenarios. You can also learn teamwork and acquire a unique skillset in multi-disciplinary international Capstone projects. Thus, the major offers a strong expertise for a career in fields related to information security.
As a student in this major, you will gain skills in:
- mathematical foundations of cryptography,
- cryptographic algorithms and protocols,
- networked systems security,
- multi-disciplinary security and information management and
In both Europe and Finland, the information-intensive industry has become the most important business sector. Moreover, information has become one of the most relevant products in the information society. Securing this business sector and its products is vital in the modern era.
The degrees of this programme cover different areas of information security. Based on the personally planned expertise profiles, successful careers as information security experts in the IT sector are achievable in Finland and abroad. The education also benefits from co-operation with regional companies, especially in terms of optional Capstone projects.
A personal study plan made for each student creates an individual information security expertise profile. Possible job titles are:
- cryptography engineer,
- network security engineer and
- information security manager.
CAREER IN RESEARCH
The Master’s degree provides eligibility for scientific postgraduate degree studies. Postgraduate degrees are doctoral and licentiate degrees.
Graduates from the programme are eligible to apply for a position in the University of Turku Graduate School (UTUGS). The Graduate School consists of 16 doctoral programmes which cover all disciplines and doctoral candidates of the University.
Together with the doctoral programmes, the Graduate School provides systematic and high-quality doctoral training. UTUGS aims to train highly qualified experts with the skills required for both professional careers in research and other positions of expertise.
GENERAL DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
A Bachelor’s degree that formally qualifies the applicant to access Master’s level studies in the country where it has been completed. This degree should correspond to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to a minimum of three years of full-time study. You must also prove your English language skills when applying. Please visit the website of the programme for more information.
©City of Turku and University of Turku Communications
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 23, 2018