Be one of the people designing the future of human-technology interaction
Digital technologies play a significant role in all areas of everyday life. Modern societies need professionals with a thorough understanding of how to design and develop user-friendly interactive products and engaging ways to interact with various technological devices.
Master’s Programme in Human-Technology Interaction (HTI) offers an exceptionally broad set of studies in human-technology interaction and related fields. In the HTI studies, you will get up to date know-how on digital service design, usability engineering and user-centric software production, multimodal and multisensory human-computer interaction with vision, interfaces based on speech, gaze, haptics, gestures and physiology as well as on interface solutions for virtual reality, industrial tasks, human-robot interaction, Internet of Things and artificial intelligence.
In a broader context, you will learn how technology affects people’s lives and how to design efficient and engaging digital services. The programme leads you to scientific thinking and writing as well as to hands-on work in various course projects.
There are many job opportunities to choose from after graduation, such user interface developer in different industrial sectors, user experience and interaction designer of new digital services and products, and usability and customer experience specialist. Career opportunities are excellent, and human-technology interaction specialists are highly appreciated by industry.
The Master’s Degree Programme in Human-Technology Interaction educates experts in three different focus areas: Interaction Design, Development of Interactive Software (MSc) and User Experience [MSc (Tech)]. The degrees have their own admission and degree requirements.
Students having completed the Master’s degree will:
- have a thorough command of some aspect of computer sciences,
- be familiar with scientific thinking and capable of applying scientific working methods in their own area of specialisation,
- be motivated for lifelong learning,
- be capable of undertaking scientific postgraduate studies,
- be capable of applying the knowledge acquired and of functioning in internationalising working life,
- be capable of communicating in scientific situations,
- be conversant with the ethical norms of the field and apply these in their own work.
Students having completed the Master's Degree Programme in Human-Technology Interaction (MSc) will:
- know product development methods in theory and practice well enough to work independently in research and product development,
- know user interface design and software development methods well enough to work as an HTI specialist in product development.
As technology plays an increasing role in our daily life, it is important to have professionals who have a deep understanding of how to develop the most user-friendly and engaging methods to interact with a wide variety of technological devices.
Students can deepen their knowledge in course units that cover a wide range of topics from user experience and emotions to an innovative use of facial behaviours like gaze and expressions, touch, speech, and human physiology in user interfaces. The programme leads you to scientific thinking and writing as well as to hands-on work in various course projects.
The master programme has a direct link to research carried out by TAUCHI, Tampere Unit for Computer-Human Interaction. TAUCHI is a TUNI research centre focusing on human-technology interaction. It carries out a wide range of multidisciplinary research into technology-mediated novel ways of multimodal interaction with devices, environments and people. TAUCHI explores and develops better and more intuitive user interfaces for the future. It harmonizes the potential of new technologies with human abilities, needs, and limitations.
TAUCHI expertise covers new technologies such as smart objects and environments, gestural interfaces, gaze tracking, haptics, mixed reality, computer vision, speech-, context- or emotion-based interaction, virtual avatars, user experience and usability.
Many work opportunities are available for graduates of this programme. Some of the possible future careers include working as
- an interface developer who has the skills to implement advanced solutions that broaden the capabilities of current devices and interfaces,
- as an interaction designer who studies people in their natural environments and creates technology designs, or
- as a usability and user experience specialist who makes sure that the technology designs are easy to use and fit human purposes.
Postgraduate study opportunities
This master's degree provides the required background if you wish to pursue doctoral studies in Interactive Technology or Computer Sciences, for example in TUNI’s Doctoral programme in Interactive Technology.
Tuition fees and scholarships
The tuition fee for the programme is 12,000 euros per academic year for non-EU/EEA students with a scholarship system for fee-paying students.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. a citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Tampere University Scholarships Programme is intended for students who are required to pay tuition fees in Master’s degree programmes offered in English. A substantial number of scholarships will be available. With the help of the scholarship programme, Tampere University provides excellent international students with high-quality, yet affordable, education.
When filling in your application form for a Master’s degree programme, you have the possibility to indicate your wish to apply for a scholarship. The decision on the granted scholarship will be communicated to you together with information on admission.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 3, 2018