Analyse policies. Understand change. Master the world.
High-quality research into the policy and cultural complexities of globalisation. MDP in Global and Transnational Sociology (GTS) is a high-quality programme especially suited for students aiming at careers in social research, policy analysis and consultation, media, international organisations, and international development.
The programme provides students with the basis for making sense of globalisation and transnational connections in the contemporary world. National policies and cultures are increasingly related to events and forces outside national borders.
Political processes, cultural trends and organisations are interconnected across the world. A critical understanding of these patterns and connections is the primary goal of the programme. With a special emphasis on sociological neo-institutionalism, the GTS Programme offers the students a toolkit to analyse the social, political and cultural forces shaping our global world. The degree also develops the students’ cosmopolitan perspective crucial for a wide span of careers today.
The studies are research-intensive. The programme integrates with world-class research being conducted at the Tampere Research Group on Cultural and Political Sociology, and with other postgraduate degrees in the Faculty’s cutting-edge Framework Programme on Global Society. The GTS programme provides our graduates with a unique insight into the construction of major global trends, preparing them for incisive interventions in today’s globally connected world.
Upon completing the programme, students will be able to:
- comprehend what globalisation is from multiple disciplinary perspectives.
- understand a range of theoretical approaches to understand global and transnational processes.
- confidently analyse global social change.
- investigate transnational elements of local policies and cultural trends.
- discuss relevant current literature, approach new scholarship, and critically present in public.
- design, conduct and report academic research of the highest quality independently and in teams.
- recognise, value and work with cultural diversity.
- apply this knowledge in working life.
The programme aims to provide students with the basis to critically analyse globalisation and transnational connections in the contemporary world. Covering a range of theoretical training, and focusing on recent neo-institutionalist approaches, the programme offers students a toolkit to analyse the social, political and cultural forces that are shaping our global world. Students will learn perspectives of understanding the contemporary world, will appreciate how national policies are made, will unpack the transnational connectivity in contemporary media, and will see into the transnational relations of civil society, culture and modern religion. The degree will also offer students the cosmopolitan and multi-cultural perspective that is crucial for many careers.
This internationally linked programme is especially suited for students aiming at careers in social research, policy analysis and consultation, cultural analysis, media, international organisations, and international development. The primary aim of the programme is to attract high-quality students into an academic career in global and transnational studies. Therefore, the students will be closely integrated into on-going research and teaching in the field.
Tuition fees and scholarships
The tuition fee for the programme is 10,000 euros per academic year for non-EU/EEA students with a scholarship system for fee-paying students.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. a citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Tampere University Scholarships Programme is intended for students who are required to pay tuition fees in Master’s degree programmes offered in English. A substantial number of scholarships will be available. With the help of the scholarship programme, Tampere University provides excellent international students with high-quality, yet affordable, education.
When filling in your application form for a Master’s degree programme, you have the possibility to indicate your wish to apply for a scholarship. The decision on the granted scholarship will be communicated to you together with information on admission.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 3, 2018