EXTENSIVE CROSS-DISCIPLINARY TRAINING FOR FUTURE EXPERTS!
Master’s degree programme in digital health and life sciences offers extensive training in modern biosciences and digital health engineering.
The Master’s Degree Programme in Digital Health and Life Sciences offers extensive training ranging from molecular level interactions to individuals and society. Bioinformatics is one of the four tracks offered by the programme. Other tracks in the programme are Health Technology, Medical Analytics and Health Internet-of-Things, and Molecular Systems Biology.
The students graduating from this cross-disciplinary programme will have acquired scientific and analytical skills, expertise in present theories and up-to-date technologies, as well as practical skills including teamwork, leadership, and interpersonal skills in an international environment. The acquired methodological skills and advanced knowledge allow the students to continue their career paths in academia or industry.
The Master’s Degree Programme in Digital Health and Life Sciences is a two-year programme of 120 ECTS credits. The degree is comprised of
- common courses which provide you essential knowledge needed in modern bio-health sciences as well as transferable skills including mandatory language studies,
- track-specific major subject studies that will provide the state-of-the-art theories and practical skills relevant to the field,
- Master’s thesis and associated research project where you will apply your newly acquired knowledge,
- selectable studies in different thematic areas and special themes.
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE & EXPERIENCE
The Programme offers four tracks with specific focus on digital health and life sciences:
- Health Technology,
- Medical Analytics and Health Internet-of-Things (IoT),
- Molecular Systems Biology.
With Bioinformatics as your major subject, you will focus on analyses of many kinds of biomedical data, such as DNA sequences, protein structures, and gene expression levels. As a bioinformatician, you can become a valuable member of a laboratory research group for running analyses or you can specialize in developing new analysis methods. Among others, personalized medicine with human genome sequence and its variations in its core is a growing industry that constantly needs new professionals for such tasks. As a student, you will be participating in actual, new research during your studies and will get experience in working in a multidisciplinary team of experts.
MASTER'S THESIS & TOPICS
The Master’s thesis studies consist of an independent, experimental research project, a research seminar and a written Master’s thesis. The research project focuses on data analysis or other computational aspects of biological data and is carried out under supervision.
The results obtained in the research project will be presented in a Master’s seminar using common procedures known from scientific meetings.
The written Master’s thesis will report and discuss the findings of the experimental work and include a literature review of the relevant background.
Examples of thesis topics:
- Analysis of Alpha CA Genes in Early Vertebrates and High-Invertebrates
- Probing MST1 Kinase Sequence and Structure for Rational Drug Discovery
- Optimization and Applications of Large-Scale Biomedical Event Networks
In the Bioinformatics track of Master’s Degree Programme in Digital Health and Life Sciences, you will:
- learn to work in an international and interdisciplinary environment,
- learn to work in a research group,
- learn to understand both biological and information technological aspects of bioinformatics,
- handle masses of data through programming,
- analyse biological data with statistical methods.
The Master´s Programme in Digital Health and Life Sciences educates future experts for positions in academia, industry and public sector. Students graduating from the programme may work, among others, as:
- project manager
- research coordinator
- research scientist
- university lecturer
- data analyst
CAREER IN RESEARCH
A Master of Science degree provides you with an eligibility for scientific postgraduate degree studies. Postgraduate degrees are doctoral or licentiate degrees.
Graduates from the programme are eligible to apply for a position in the University of Turku Graduate School, UTUGS. The Graduate School consists of 16 doctoral programmes which cover all disciplines and doctoral candidates of the University.
Together with the doctoral programmes, the Graduate School provides systematic and high quality doctoral training. UTUGS aims to train highly qualified experts with the skills required for both professional careers in research and other positions of expertise.
GENERAL DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
A Bachelor’s degree that formally qualifies the applicant to access Master’s level studies in the country where it has been completed. This degree should correspond to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to a minimum of three years of full-time study. You must also prove your English language skills when applying. Please visit the website of the programme for more information.
©City of Turku and University of Turku Communications
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 17, 2018