Apply between 1 December 2017 and 17 January 2018
- Degree: Master of Arts
- Duration: 2 years
- Extent: 120 ECTS
- Start date: August 2018
- Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA students: 10 000 € / year
The degree offers a comprehensive overview of current and emergent cultural realities and theories as well as practical tools for analyzing present-day cultural phenomena. The focus of the programme is in contemporary socio-cultural realities. It explores a world in which different forms of mobilities, crossings of customary borders (e.g. between nation states, economy, politics and culture or forms of expression) and new hybrids produce new cultural articulations and practices.
The programme is built on the foundation of the strong research and teaching tradition in cultural studies at the University of Tampere.
After completing the Master's Degree Programme in Cultural Studies, you will be able to
- understand the nature of current cultural work
- identify and use key theoretical perspectives to conceptualize culture and cultural processes
- make justified and ethical choices in your professional activities
- give fluent presentations and arguments on particular research area, collect material and analyse it independently and critically
- operate in a group and argue and report on the basis of systematic research
- have established a competence to continue studies for a Ph.D.
The programme supports the students in building and strengthening the required competencies in the changing environment of cultural production as well as the academia. Cultural Studies programme provides expertise for careers in which an understanding of contemporary culture is required. These include media industries, journalism, cultural management and education. Because of the flexibility of its understanding of culture, it also makes movement across such fields possible.
Eligibility criteria to the Master's degree programmes consist of two parts: the University of Tampere general eligibility criteria, and programme specific eligibility criteria, which specify and/or add information to the general criteria. Applicants must meet both in order to be considered eligible. General eligibility:
To be eligible to apply for a Master’s programme at UTA, an applicant must have
- a completed university level Bachelor's degree or equivalent in the field of the desired programme or in a closely related subject
- fluency in English sufficiently advanced for academic studies.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 4, 2017