Apply between 1 December 2017 and 17 January 2018
- Degree: Master of Arts (Education)
- Duration: 2 years
- Extent: 120 ECTS
- Start date: August 2018
- Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA students: 10 000 €/year
The program is designed for qualified teachers with a Bachelor’s degree in one of the various fields of education. It aims at integrating the most essential research in curriculum studies, educational psychology, inclusive education, and pedagogical leadership to provide tools for the development of school education. The instructional focus of the program is on school community efficacy and on enhancing students’ abilities to develop a modern theoretical approach to their teaching and for student learning. The studies aim at educating teachers who are able to think analytically and critically, solve problems, and work as teacher-researchers. The program leans on implementing international, up-to-date research in education and related fields. It is intended to benefit teachers from primary to higher education levels.
Teachers and experts who have completed the Master's degree program in Teacher Education will
- have an extensive understanding of societal and global conditions for learning and education
- be thoroughly aware of their importance as educators, i.e. individuals with pedagogical power and influence in society
- be capable of making well-grounded ethical choices in their professional roles
- be capable of presenting valid arguments in a discussion of education and educational policy and defending educational values
- be able to develop their work on the basis of research in multicultural environments.
The program consists of versatile core studies in inclusive education, curriculum studies, evaluation of teaching, learning and education, and in leadership in educational organizations. In addition, the students are offered thorough studies on quantitative and qualitative research methods and practices. They also have the possibility to include optional studies from other fields of science into their degree. The program highlights include a first-hand experience of Finnish school with classroom observation, and high-quality thesis supervision by professionals with expertise in research, teacher training and teaching in school. The intensive collaboration between the Faculty of Education of the University of Tampere provides our students with an indispensable knowledge of the integration of theory and practice in education.
The program gives competencies to work with development of curricula, learning environments, instruction, and schools. Its focus is on the development of well-being of the school community, quality of learning, and research-based teaching. It gives insight and competencies to utilize the best elements of the Finnish education system in various cultural contexts. Graduates are able to work also as mentors, organizers, and developers of learning. They have the qualifications to develop innovative educational practices, curricula, and schools, and build better opportunities for our children and youth.*
*The program is designed for qualified teachers who wish to expand their professional expertise. It does not lead to a teaching qualification in any country.
Eligibility criteria for the Master's degree program in Teacher Education consist of two parts: the University of Tampere general eligibility criteria and the program-specific eligibility criteria. The program-specific criteria specify and/or supplement the general criteria. Applicants must meet both in order to be considered eligible.
To be eligible to apply for a Master's program at UTA, you must have
- a completed university-level Bachelor's degree or equivalent in the field of the desired program or in a closely related subject AND
- fluency in English sufficiently advanced for academic studies.
Program-specific eligibility criteria
To be eligible to apply to the Master’s degree program in Teacher Education, you must have:
- a university level Bachelor's degree in Education or Teaching which includes teaching practice, OR
- a university level Bachelor's degree in any other field accompanied by a formal teaching qualification (certified teacher) in the country where the Bachelor's degree certificate was issued or two years of full-time teaching experience.
Applicants who do not meet the general eligibility and program-specific admission criteria will not be selected. Even if you meet all the admission criteria, this does not guarantee your admission to the program. The competition for a study place at the University of Tampere is high as the number of eligible applicants annually exceeds the number of students that can be accepted.
Applicants with an unfinished Bachelor's degree
Your Bachelor's degree or equivalent must be completed well before the program begins. If the degree is not completed by the end of the application period, you can be accepted to the program on the condition that you send an officially attested copy of the degree certificate to the University of Tampere by 31 July 2018. If admitted, you will first receive a notification on conditional acceptance and later a letter of acceptance once the officially attested copy of the degree certificate and transcript of records have reached the university.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 16, 2018