In the last 25 years, mathematical research in Spain has experienced a spectacular development, which has led it to occupy a place among the top ten in the world. Mathematicians from the six universities participating in the master's degree contribute to this achievement. Already in the UPV / EHU, in the last Ranking of Shanghai of 2012, Mathematics occupy a place among the 100 and 150 best universities in the world. Thus, Mathematics play a very prominent role in the Spanish scientific system. To maintain or improve these positions, it is necessary to train new doctors, incorporate new researchers, and the first step after the Degree is necessarily a Master's in Mathematics with a research component. This master's degree responds to this manifest need of six universities, since it has subjects oriented to start a scientific career in different branches of Mathematics.
In universities and those responsible for scientific administration, there is currently a growing interest in taking a leap towards more applied, more interdisciplinary research and establishing stable relationships with companies. The future of the company goes through knowledge, and this is largely based on the university. This master has a wide range of subjects aimed at research oriented towards the needs of technology centers and the R + D + i departments of companies with regard to Mathematics. In fact, the Master in Mathematical Modeling, Statistics and Computing, origin of which is proposed, is highly valued and all courses have enrolled students from a technology center. Finally, note that professors of the Master of the six universities have experience of projects with companies.
Traditionally, the professional output of graduates in Mathematics has been teaching. Currently this output is in low numbers and channeled into specific teaching masters (Master in Teacher Training). Now, more and more mathematicians are placed in R + D + i departments of companies and technological centers, the knowledge society requires a greater transfer of knowledge from the university to companies. Also, there will always be students interested in tackling a research career in mathematics, society needs research in science. For the six participating universities, this master's degree is the cornerstone to respond to these needs.
Entry and exit profile
The entry profile is a graduate or bachelor of science (Mathematics, Physics, Biotechnology, ... ) Or engineering with vocation to be trained in a mathematics oriented to treat and solve problems that arise in the field of industry, companies, technological centers and other sciences. Also, the Master is adapted to a profile interested in starting a research career in Mathematics.
This masters form researchers in Mathematics and applications with a high degree of scientific and technical training, with advanced knowledge and practical experience of Mathematics and Statistics applications and in the use of computer science in R + D + i tasks.
The objective of this interuniversity master is to train researchers in Mathematics and applications with a high degree of scientific and technical training, with advanced knowledge and practical experience of Mathematics and Statistics applications and in the use of information technology in R + D + tasks. i.
Students will manage the most used software tools in the industry and in the company for the simulation of processes, for the treatment of large amounts of data, for the optimization of resources, logistics, etc. They will be able to understand, model and obtain the solution of problems arising in the field of business, engineering and other sciences, and to develop computer applications for the numerical simulation of the processes that arise in the company in general.
Also, this master's degree is very formative for technologists and researchers from other sciences who wish to acquire or update their knowledge of applied mathematical, statistical or computer tools.
- Have critical ability to read research articles and incorporate results into their work
- Be able to handle a wide range of techniques and software applied to solve practical problems of optimization, data processing, numerical simulation and research in mathematics
- Being able to translate the processes and results of a mathematically solved problem into a non-overly technical language
- Being able to use bibliographic resources with ease
- Being able to communicate and understand English, as a relevant language in the scientific field
- To be able to elaborate and to develop advanced mathematical reasoning and to abstract the essential properties of the different mathematical objects and to apply them in other contexts
- Be able to elaborate models to capture and explain a plot of reality, analyze them and study how their solution will be qualitatively
- To be able to solve advanced mathematical problems, planning its resolution according to the available tools and the constraints of time and resources
- Be able to understand, model and design algorithms to obtain a quantitative solution of problems arising in the field of business, engineering and other sciences
- Be able to design, develop and adapt computer applications to obtain solutions of developed models and / or perform numerical simulations
- To have critical capacity to deal with new software, to understand a new option or new software, to install it and extract its new possibilities and contributions
- Be able to use the necessary resources to frame and propose solutions to problems that can be treated mathematically
Orientation and tutoring
Once enrolled, the management regulations for University Masters (official) of the UPV / EHU establishes that students will have a personal tutor (to be assigned by the Academic Committee of the Master, after enrollment), in addition to the director of their work of master's degree (which each student chooses based on the annual offer of work done by the faculty). Both will act as counselors in making the necessary decisions for the good academic development of their postgraduate studies. In addition, from the Postgraduate Studies and Continuing Education Unit, the necessary support is offered in the procedures related to the course (requests for grants, calls, certificates, modifications of enrollment, recognition of credits, etc.). All information is collected exhaustively and updated on the website of the Graduate Studies and Continuing Education Unit. The information about the aspects related to the internal functioning of the Master (schedules, calendar, activities, etc.) are collected in detail on said Master's website. Likewise, the person in charge and the professors who form the Academic Committee of the Master are always accessible to the needs of the Master's students, as well as all the teachers involved, who have a tutoring time dedicated to the students.
On the other hand, in the Quality Assurance System of the Degree and in the procedure developed that is attached, the channel for the presentation of suggestions and complaints of the students, and the regulations that cover it, is foreseen. The Academic Committee of the Master meets at the end of each semester to analyze, among other data, these complaints or suggestions and the conclusions set out in the Act of Evaluation, review and improvement.
This master does not include external internships
This subject consists in the realization and presentation of an original elementary work in some of the areas of mathematics represented in the master's degree, or in the modeling, analysis and resolution of a real problem that arose in a company or technological research center, until developing , if necessary, a computer application that allows the numerical simulation of the phenomenon considered. In this last case, the management of the work may have the collaboration of a professional of the company or technological center.
Program taught in: