The Master's Degree in Gender Studies and Equality Policies offers a framework for the theoretical study of basic concepts such as gender difference, power relations or cultural discourses that still maintain a status quo of inequality and discrimination. Knowing this framework we will liaise to undertake the analysis of the reality around us, focusing on methodologies of action to eradicate inequality and establish policies that reflect European, national and regional legislative provisions on equal opportunities.
Equality between women and men is a fundamental right that, however, is not reflected in everyday life in an effective and real way. Discriminatory attitudes are still rooted in our society and manifest as the source of many of the problems that still beset women today, preventing such equality.
Given that equality as a principle is included in the Statute of Autonomy of the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands, the greater participation of women in the labor market, their access to all levels of education, training, culture and the fields of decision making. decisions (although in this sense still to a lesser extent), have generated the need to update the legal framework that allows the elimination of these discriminations.
The Master in Gender and Equality Policies that we propose tries to respond to the need to establish the effective equality of opportunities and rights between men and women in a society that is still characterized at high levels by sexist and clearly patriarchal attitudes. We set out to offer a framework of theoretical study of basic concepts such as gender difference, power relations or cultural discourses that still maintain a status quo of inequality and discrimination. Knowing this framework will serve as a link for the second fundamental element of our Master, the practical analysis of the reality that surrounds us, focusing on action methodologies to eradicate inequality and establish policies that reflect what is included in the different laws at the European, national and autonomous. In this sense, the Master has a double vocation: 1. On the one hand, to deepen the historical and ideological study of the reasons that have led to an unequal society such as ours (social, cultural, economic, etc.); 2. On the other hand, provide keys and guidelines for intervention in society that alleviate this situation.
In other words, our Master is designed both to understand philosophically the concept of gender and its relation to inequality (in its multiple variants), and to propose solutions at the level of public policies.
Entry and exit profile
Admission to MUEGYPI will enable students who has a previous degree in the following subjects: Bachelor or Degree in Psychology, Education, Geography, Psychology, History, Art History, Sociology, Philology, Law, Economics, Philosophy, Social Work, Journalism , Master in elementary education, early childhood education Master, Fine Arts, Nursing and Medicine. The main contribution of these studies is the enhanced implementation of the gender perspective so specialized in the various studies that allow access to master studies, as the crosscutting and multidisciplinary approach that characterize the trajectory of gender studies.
We set out to offer a framework of theoretical study of basic concepts such as gender difference, power relations or cultural discourses that still maintain a status quo of inequality and discrimination.
In this sense, the Master has a double vocation: 1. On the one hand, to deepen the historical and ideological study of the reasons that have led to an unequal society such as ours (social, cultural, economic, etc.); 2. On the other hand, provide keys and guidelines for intervention in society that alleviate this situation. In other words, our Master is designed both to understand philosophically the concept of gender and its relation to inequality (in its multiple variants), and to propose solutions at the level of public policies.
The new orientations aimed at developing projects and actions in favor of Equal Opportunities from all areas, coming from guidelines both at the European and national level as well as at the regional and local level, require that the technical personnel who already work in a particular way, already in a generalist in this matter, gather a series of knowledge, tools and common and specific skills to work with this group. We would like, in another sense, to highlight the importance of the training of experts in these disciplines, as reflected in the most recent state and community regulations in this regard. Compliance with current legislation on equality, while the implementation of equal opportunities plans and the Comprehensive Law against gender violence, have made clear the urgency of training qualified professionals in specific aspects that they facilitate the effective application of the measures implemented, at the same time that they carry out a type of transversal intervention in public institutions and the private sector that eradicates discrimination against women. Society, then, demands more than ever professional profiles on gender and equality. More specifically, we refer to two professional figures of specialists in Equality, included in the Spanish National Classification of Occupations (CNO): Equal Opportunities Agent (in general) (with occupation code 29390018) and Equal Opportunities Promoter (in general) (with occupation code 35390015). In turn, these professional figures are subdivided into Equal Opportunities Agent / Woman (with occupation code 29390027) and Equal Opportunity Promoter for Women (with occupation code 35390024).
The AIO (Equal Opportunities Agent) basically has the functions associated with professionals with university training (analysis, design, evaluation ...) while the PIO (Equal Opportunity Promoter) (professionals with non-university training) focus their functions in the areas of animation, sensitization and development of activities of direct attention to the users. Likewise, there are other professional categories that need directly from the training we offer in our master: Technicians-as in IO (Equal Opportunities), Managers-as in IO and Experts-as in IO. The variety of topics and areas in which the intervention of these professionals is necessary justifies the need for theoretical and practical training such as that offered by MUEGYPI. The ones mentioned below would be functions to be developed by all these professionals:
- Detection of needs in terms of equal opportunities between women and men
- Programming, planning and realization of projects related to equal opportunities between women and men.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the different interventions.
- Information, guidance and advice on equal opportunities for men and women
- Technical assistance in the application of the gender perspective in a transversal manner.
- Preparation and issuance of gender impact reports.
- Coordination of professionals from different areas and departments related to equal opportunities.
- Proposal, design and preparation of studies in relation to equal opportunities.
- Planning of actions that favor the participation of women in all areas of society.
- Creation of protocols and methods of action, before the use of sexist language, in all manifestations of the different entities.
In line with Article 10.1 of Royal Decree 1393/2007, 29 October, which establishes that the teachings of Master aim to acquire advanced training, specialized or multidisciplinary nature, the fundamental objective MUEGYPI training professionals that from different areas of knowledge in the Humanities, social Sciences and Health Sciences, can detect inequalities between women and men in the social, economic and political life. We also offer practical tools to intervene in achieving a more egalitarian society.
The objectives of MUEGYPI:
- Form in the detection and analysis of the different ways in which social gender inequalities occur and to provide an information system and conducive assessment to diagnose inequalities and to propose policy interventions that will lead to achieving real equality and effective .
- Provide theoretical and practical knowledge to facilitate the implementation of gender mainstreaming in the institutions that serve the implementation of the principle of equal opportunities in public policies in different (international, state, regional and local) levels in relation to employment , education, labor, social services, sexuality, health, cooperation and citizen participation.
- Train to recognize and incorporate the contributions of women to society and culture, and historically analyze the construction of knowledge, in order to detect its androcentric bias, and correct in the sense of inclusiveness and visibility of women.
- Form in the design, implementation and evaluation of public and private policies to promote equality.
- Provide analysis tools that enable an applied dimension of gender analysis for social intervention.
- Provide clues, tools and concepts that allow the implementation of measures and projects that allow to analyze and eradicate gender violence. Special mention require the design of preventive policies in education.
- Learn to design projects implemented in the various areas of intervention being studied.
The purpose of the MUEGYPI will be the acquisition by the student of the following general and specific competences:
- CG1. Knowing the differential gender structuring of social, political, economic, cultural and scientific.
- CG2. Knowing the specific theoretical and methodological tools to address gender inequalities encada matter.
- CG3. Apply gender analysis in new environments within multidisciplinary contexts.
- CG4. Knowing the specific tools to help develop practical application actions, such as diagnostics, equality plans and evaluation of equality plans. CG5. Advise people and organizations in the implementation of equality measures in various aspects of social life.
- CG6. Possessing the ability of critical and reflective analysis on equality between men and women.
- CG7. Apply the knowledge to develop work in multidisciplinary teams to facilitate a comprehensive and innovative approach to gender issues.
- CE1. Knowing the contributions of women to the historical account using the theoretical apparatus of the latest historiographical trends.
- CE2. Knowing previous experiences in various formal and informal educational settings in order to design a set of best educational practices.
- CE3. Knowing the historical construction of gender identities in society and its impact on the present.
- EC4. Analyze contemporary epistemological debates, focusing on the progress made by feminist theories.
- CE5. Knowing specific to effectively address the realization of equality plans tools.
- CE6. Knowing the different aspects of the application of the laws of equality and gender violence.
- EC7. Analyze the different stages of the life cycle from a gender perspective.
- EC8. Analyze gender archetypes in the cultural imaginary from a no androcentric perspective.
- EC9. Know the processes of multiculturalism and globalization applying postcolonial studies and approaches provided by Third Wave feminisms.
- CE10. Knowing the necessary gender indicators in the areas of social intervention.
- CE11. Identify the social issues surrounding the phenomenon of gender violence.
- CE12. Knowing the progress made on non-sexist language (manuals and standards to be applied).
- CE13. Understanding the mechanisms to assess the degree of enforcement of gender equality and violence.
- CE14. Confronting the knowledge acquired in the master with practice, endowing them with a constant process of feedback between theoretical reflection and practice.
- CE15. To assess progress in gender studies, through conducting theoretical work and / or implemented.
Orientation and tutoring
According to the provisions of the Quality Council of the Faculty of Philosophy, a tutor will be assigned to students who have been admitted to the Master, in order to guide them towards the specialty they are going to study, external internships and the end of Master's work. In addition, at least two annual follow-up meetings will be held with the students of the Master. On the other hand, the University of La Laguna has an Information and Guidance Service for undergraduate, postgraduate and Master students.
External practices, worth 18 credits, will be divided into two subjects Placement Placement I and II. The set of external practices are organized around these two subjects, taking the first load of 12 ECTS credits, in which students will have to become familiar with the variety of resources and activities to be addressed on a daily basis a specialist in the field of Equal Opportunities, is therefore an activity of more general nature. For his part in the course Practices External II, with a load of 6 ECTS credits, students will delve into a particular field of application of equality policies.
The subjects are part of the mandatory practices common module and should preferably take place during the fourth quarter, in one or more of the companies or institutions that have an agreement with the ULL.
There is also the possibility of practices in Europe within the ErasmusB internship program. These practices are carried out under the supervision of the Commission tutoring external practices of the master who will assign a tutor / or Academic and responsible for keeping track of such practices in the entity chosen person. At the end of the traineeship the company will issue a report including the results obtained by students.
You can check here the Offer of External Practices for the 2017/2018 course.
The general objective of the Master's thesis will be for the students to put into practice the knowledge acquired during the formative stage. In the specialty in Gender and Feminist Theories, special emphasis will be placed on students demonstrating mastery of the most recent theoretical trends related to the chosen subject. In the specialty Gender and Equality Policies the work to be done must have an applied dimension.
The end of Master's work is compulsory and will be carried out throughout the fourth semester once the students have passed the teaching credits. The content of the TFMs will adhere to the lines of research and work proposed in each of the specialties.
a) Final Master's Degree in Gender and Feminist Theory: within this specialty the research lines revolve around the following subjects: Sociology, History, Anthropology, Philosophy, Psychology, Philosophy, Education and Economics. The faculty that teaches these subjects will propose to the students a series of specific topics to carry out this end-of-master project.
b) Final Master's Degree in Gender and Equality Policies Within this specialty the research and work lines revolve around the following subjects: Migration policies, Cooperation and development, Labor markets, Gender violence, Equality policies, Education . The faculty that teaches these subjects will propose to the students a series of specific topics to carry out this end-of-master project.
The general objective of the Master's thesis will be for the students to put into practice the knowledge acquired during the formative stage. In specialty A, special emphasis will be placed on students demonstrating mastery of the most recent theoretical trends related to the chosen subject. In specialty B, it will be stressed that the work done by the students has an applied dimension.
About the School
La Universidad de La Laguna ha ejercido una importante función de liderazgo educativo, científico y cultural en Canarias durante sus dos siglos de historia, impulsando el progreso de nuestra comunidad ... Read More