The Interuniversity and Interdepartmental Master's Degree in Applied Linguistics Allows to acquire or reinforce an advanced linguistic formation and to specialize in one of the thematic blocks of essentially applied character in which are grouped the optional subjects:
Acquisition and teaching of languages
- Linguistics applied to the acquisition of languages
- Teaching of second languages
- Spanish sign language
Communication and language resources
- Languages and technologies
- Professional communication
- Mediation and planning
Lexicon, grammar and variation
- The universe of the lexicon
- Semantics, grammar and pragmatics
- Contrasting Linguistics and Variation
Why study the degree
- It allows to deepen in applied linguistics and its relation with the most relevant social problems: education, digital applications, socio-political changes, plurilingualism, media, multimodal communication, etc.
- It provides the theoretical-methodological and critical foundations for initiating research from an interdisciplinary perspective.
- It prepares the students to act in multidisciplinary and diversified professional contours.
- It has a highly qualified faculty and guest professors of recognized prestige.
- Practical offer in companies, public institutions and NGOs.
- It allows full or partial enrollment, and validation of subjects previously studied under the conditions stipulated by the responsible universities.
What is learned
The students acquire a solid specialized training in the most current lines of linguistic research.
Structure of the Study
- Models and methods in current linguistics
- Linguistics of corpus
- Applied Linguistics
- Language technologies
- Bibliographic resources and scientific genres
A1. Linguistics applied to the acquisition of languages
- Linguistics of corpus and acquisition of language
- Language awareness and acquisition of second languages in multilingual contexts
- Applications of psycholinguistics
- Analysis of the applied conversation
B1. Teaching of second languages
- Creation and development of learning materials
- Strategies and methods of teaching and learning
- Socio-cultural and linguistic aspects in the teaching of second languages
C1. Spanish sign language
- Grammar and lexicon of Spanish sign language
- Professional uses of Spanish sign language
- Acquisition and development of the language in the deaf community
- Teaching oral language to deaf and sign language to listeners
A2. Languages and technologies
- Design and development of language technologies
- Oral language processing
- Digitization and editing
- Linguistic and internet information
B2. Professional communication
- Multimodal Communication
- oral communication
- Written communication
- Terminology and specific languages
C2. Mediation and planning
- Linguistic mediation
- Language policy
- Linguistic planning
- Multilingualism and internet
A3. The universe of the lexicon
- Foundations of lexicology and lexicography
- Writing the dictionary
- The evaluation of dictionaries
- Terminology and Terminology
B3. Semantics, grammar and pragmatics
- Semantic and Syntax Issues
- Dimensions of meaning. Semantics and pragmatics
- Grammar and Speech
- Current Issues in Grammar
C3. Contrasting Linguistics and Variation
- Linguistic variation
- Topics of contrastive linguistics
- Contact of languages and their consequences
- Linguistic change
- External Practices
Master's degree job
- Master's degree job
Professional and academic outputs
Among the main profiles of academic and work exits, the following stand out: teaching, translation and interpretation, linguistic and cultural mediation and editorial advice, cultural and linguistic advice in the business world, linguistic normalization, media, linguistic and literary promotion, therapy Linguistics, advertising, etc.
The students can also continue their higher education and access to the various doctoral programs offered at the faculty.
It is advisable, as an entry profile, the existence of an academic training in the field of Arts and Humanities or Social Sciences, especially having a degree of graduate or equivalent that contemplates specific training in language studies, management Information or the field of education.
Common access requirements
Pre-training requirements are not generally established. The Master does not include special conditions or access tests. It is considered advisable to know some of the languages used in scientific research, in addition to the official ones in the Autonomous Community.
Admission Criteria and Procedures
The body responsible for the admission and selection of students will be the Academic Committee. In accordance with the provisions of article 17 of Royal Decree 1393/2007, the following criteria for access to the master's degree are established:
- (A) Academic record (70%);
- (B) Be in possession of a degree or a degree in Philology, Linguistics, Translation and Interpretation, Languages / Letters in other degrees or degrees in the areas of Humanities and Social Sciences (5%);
- (C) the curriculum vitae as a whole (20%);
- (D) Application for full-time admission (5%).
About the School
The University of A Coruña is a public institution whose primary objective is the generation, management and dissemination of culture and scientific, technological and professional knowledge through t ... Read More