Video games are currently a global social phenomenon that has been established as a leisure alternative for a faithful and significant group of consumers. According to the Video Game Yearbook 2015 of the Spanish Video Game Association (AEVI), Spain is the ninth country in the world in terms of video game consumption. The University Master in Design and Development of Videogames by the Universidad de La Laguna presents specialized studies with a body of mainly practical contents that allow the student with a basic computer training, specialize in the technologies and recent methods used in the production of videogames .
The student will be able to:
- Act as a video game designer and explain and defend his role within a team dedicated to the creation of video games.
- Develop each of the stages of design of a video game
- Handle information and generate documentation related to the design stages of a video game.
- Solve problems of design and gameplay, evaluating and using the game mechanics and the most appropriate narrative resources.
- Explain and defend the selected design decisions, using the player-centered design as a framework.
- Organize and maintain a professional portfolios of videogame projects.
- Understand the different problems, approaches, technical literature and the lines of research developed in the field of disciplines related to the design and development of video games.
- Ability to analyze problems within the area of design and development of video games, as well as to identify the appropriate techniques for their resolution.
- Appropriately manage the information related to the design and development of video games in accordance with current legislation, standards, certifications, internal documents, etc.
- Understand the process of creating a video game, knowing the role of the different agents and actors involved, both from the perspective of the specific operation of a multidisciplinary team and from a global vision of the video game industry.
- Ability to address the planning and management of videogame creation projects, promoting research and innovation in the field of video game design and development.
- Ability to create, organize and maintain professional portfolios complementary to the curriculum in the field of the video game industry.
- Ability to guide the production of a video game using the player-centered design as a framework.
- Ability to participate in the design of videogames, contemplating aspects such as: stages of design, development of design documents, gameplay, design of levels and use and design of game mechanics.
- Ability to participate and direct the production of a videogame, throughout its life cycle, and work in a videogame studio.
- Ability to understand and know how to explain the components of a videogame and the differences between the different development platforms.
- Ability to develop videogames, selecting and using the most appropriate development tools.
- Ability to design and develop artificial intelligences, both cooperative and adversary, suitable for video games.
- Ability to know and understand how the graphic pipeline works and how the APIs and libraries for the development of graphic and multimedia applications work and are used.
- Ability to know and understand how video game engines work.
- Ability to program multimedia applications, real time and / or embedded; optimized according to the characteristics of the hardware.
- Ability to develop video games and applications of virtual and augmented reality, selecting and using the most appropriate development tools.
- Ability to incorporate interactive music, sound effects and 3D sound into a videogame.
- Ability to develop video games for the web, mobile devices, consoles and other devices taking into consideration the specificities and limitations of each platform.
- Ability to develop multiplayer and network videogames.
- Ability to participate, plan and direct the tasks of analysis and quality assurance of a video game.
- Possess and understand knowledge about current trends, latest advances and lines of research in the videogame industry.
The access profile of the student will be that of graduates of Degree, Technical Engineering, Engineering, Diploma or Degree in Computing or other qualifications in the field of information technology. Likewise, it will be possible to gain access to another Degree, Technical Engineering, Engineering, Diploma or Bachelor in related studies, provided that professional experience in the field of information technology is accredited. Applicants with degrees whose competences are different from the previous ones will be evaluated by the Academic Committee of the Master, based on the subjects studied and the evidence of skills and achievement.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated April 9, 2018