What does it consist of?
It is a master's degree in advanced studies in Catalan philology, but it is distinguished from the others in this area by studying Catalan language and literature from the perspective of considering them essential elements of intangible cultural heritage. In this sense, the Master's Degree in Catalan Language and Literature: knowledge and critical analysis of intangible heritage incorporates, together with the most classical philological subjects (sociolinguistics, dialectology, pragmatics, literary studies, etc.), knowledge of fields such as popular culture , linguistic ethnography or the critical theories of cultural contact.
What will you learn?
The Master is an introduction to research in Catalan language and literature and offers a vision of the linguistic fact, literary manifestations and Catalan popular culture as intangible heritage. In addition to deepening the various areas of study of the Catalan language and literature, it includes training in more practical areas such as text editing, linguistic advice, translation, proofreading, etc.
What can you do when you're finished?
Although the title does not qualify for the exercise of a particular profession, it is considered an adequate complement for the following professions:
- Teaching Catalan language and literature.
- Linguistic advice
- Works in editorials (literary direction, correction, preparation of editions, etc.).
- Cultural Management.
- Journalism and the media.
Access to other studies and professional opportunities
It serves to access the Doctorate in Philosophy and Philology at the University of the Balearic Islands.
Structure of the studies
- Research method in Catalan philology
- The concept of heritage in Catalan culture: discourses and evolution
- Final Master's Project
- From the Catalan language as heritage to linguistic analysis
- Linguistic innovation: innovation mechanisms in the lexicon and phonetics
- The Catalan dialectal variation entente as heritage
- Pragmatics, speech and oral language
- Competence and linguistic uses
- From Catalan literature as heritage to literary studies
- Catalan popular oral literature
- Catalan Literature and History of Culture (1890-1936)
- Literature and territory
- Heritage analysis of five scenic proposals
- Knowledge of intangible heritage and advice
- Linguistic advice: toponymy and * anthroponymy
- Literary advice and edition of Catalan literary texts
- Language and media
- Theory of translation
- External practices
- Oral history and historical memory
- Linguistic ethnography
- Popular myths in Catalan literature of the twentieth century
- Literary criticism in contemporary Catalan literature
- Theories of literary and cultural contact
- Literature and memory in post-war Catalan literature
- Language and natural environment
Admission profile and admission criteria
To be able to register for the master's degree, you must have a bachelor's degree or a diploma. It is aimed especially at graduates in philology, but other graduates can also be enrolled. You need to have enough Catalan language skills to be able to follow the classes and do the work.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 27, 2018