Master on Ship Operation & Naval Engineering
Two of the top French Technical Universities have teamed up to offer you a unique opportunity to learn naval engineering and become an engineer experienced in ship operation. At Ecole Centrale Nantes we provide high-level naval engineer training programme. You will have access to experimental facilities such as towing tank, wave tank, internal combustion engine test benches. In collaboration École Navale in Lanvéoc-Poulmic close to Brest is the French Naval Academy where French Navy officers are trained. In Ecole Navale we deliver a serious scientific training, navigation knowledge and maritime environment. The outstanding strength of this master program is that you will have on-board training sessions on French Navy vessels. You will get an insight of on-board practice to serve complex equipment and to fit in with the quick evolution of knowledge and techniques which is highly valuable for a naval engineer and of course highly regarded by industrial employers. 100% English Master! Besides this technical and scientific know-how, you will learn about the French culture and language as well.
- Scientific core: Being able to model and understand the concepts of hydrodynamics, fluid mechanics and heat machine to interact and take part in development projects of naval systems.
- Experiment: ability to implement and validate an experimental approach about maritime and naval engineering problems.
- Operational implementation: ability to integrate the constraints of operational implementation approaches in design and validation of naval systems.
- Application knowledge: ability to interact at the interface between naval systems designers and users by knowledge of the maritime environment, operations and navigation.
- Leadership: ability to lead through the understanding of human behavior and decision-making processes.
- International: ability to adapt to a foreign environment and to ensure the optimization of technology transfer.
Career opportunities - our industrial partners
Being hotbeds of innovation and leadership, Ecole Navale and Ecole Centrale Nantes provide strong links with France’s industrial companies and enjoy a reputation of excellence in Europe and all around the world. Our industrial partners are leading international companies involved in shipbuilding, ship design, marine engine industry or ship operation such as DCNS, Bureau Véritas, Hydrocean, CGG, Man Diesel, STX and Pôle Mer Bretagne Bretagne Atlantique. You may find opportunities to do your Master Thesis in one of these companies Career opportunities:
- Industrial Program: in charge of the design of a subset of ships or offshore structures.
- Research and Program Development: in charge of experimental design of innovative systems for the behavior, performance and implementation of ships or offshore structures.
- System Integration: team coordination to test and validate implementation of embedded systems.
Studying in France
As well as studying in one of the top French Technical Universities you will enjoy the French quality of life. Both Nantes and Brest are active harbor towns turned towards the seas and like all harbor towns, they have a long tradition of openness. Their dynamism stems from the constant ebb, flow and renewal of the tides that carry talent and ideas from abroad, and in return export its own vision and way of life. Brest welcomes you at land’s end. In Brest you will experience living in a city that is resolutely oriented towards the ocean. Its magnificent natural harbor is one of the most beautiful in Europe, and will introduce you to the delights of water sports, fishing or discovering the amazing nature all around. The French Naval Academy is located at Lanveoc Poulmic in the Peninsula of Crozon, quite nearby Brest. The metropole of Nantes is one of the major cultural, artistic and creative poles in France. It lies at the crossroads of three French provinces and is the junction between northern and southern France. Nantes is definitely the right place for a swirling confluence of ideas, cultures and passions. From Nantes you have access to a dozen different worlds and their rich history (Chateau des Ducs de Bretagne), architecture, gastronomy and more. Nantes is also two hours from Paris by high-speed train.
- Applicants must hold at least a Bachelor of Science in fields such as mechanics, electrical, ocean or naval engineering.
- Engineers or other candidates with specific CVs searching for advanced education in naval engineering and ship operation are also invited to apply.
English language requirements
- All courses are in English thus an English Proficiency is required(TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, Cambridge …, or any other certified proof).
There are no scholarships available for this master. However you can apply through your government or the French government or any company interested in giving you a financial support.
Please find below the main documents to be provided for AMASONE application:
- Application form
- Financial agreement (for the payment of the tuition fees)
- The Information form to enable the access to the French Naval Base in Brest
- Recent Nationality certificate issued by your local municipal authority, embassy, consulate, Justice Minister(less than a year). Or a copy of your passport
- Copies, certified or authenticated by the institution attended, of your higher education studies diploma and a transcript of record with a translation (by a sworn translator) into English or French
- Proof of English proficiency (TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, Cambridge …, or any other certified proof)
- Please provide year by year official documents for the past five years if they are not included in your last diploma (Official declaration of enrolment for higher education or university studies, original employment certificate - specifying occupation start and end dates, declaration of military service). A translation in English or French is compulsory if the original documents are written in any other language
- Two Recommendation letters in English
All copies must be sworn. Basic translations may be accepted, but once in France you will have to provide original documents. Think of uploading sworn copies!
24 000 for the 4 semesters.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017