Master of Teaching and Learning (by Coursework)
Master of Teaching and Learning (MTL) from Taylor's University is the first of its kind in Malaysia. It is the first program that is pitched at the masters level that is triangulated by three domains of knowledge: core pedagogical knowledge, learning area studies, and reflective practice courses. This three-dimensional experience is designed to expose students to fundamental theories in teaching and learning and at the same time expose students to the classroom practice so that they get to participate, reflect and interrogate theories with on-site professional development.
Information on Benchmarked Standards
The Master of Teaching and Learning (MTL) aims to develop educators who want to enhance their teaching skills, broaden their intellectual and professional understanding by interrelating educational theory and practice to promote lifelong learning efforts and sustain their commitment as instructional leaders. It fulfills the needs to develop competent teachers and produce competent graduates that can enhance the endowment of the Malaysian education system.
The objectives of the program are:
- To produce graduates who are able to function effectively in a progressive and dynamic school setting.
- To develop human capital that can transform Malaysia's economy into high-income status.
- To enhance the research and development capabilities of Malaysia's human capital in meeting the challenge of the k-economy.
- To develop innovative capacities of the Malaysian workforce so as to enhance its competitiveness.
On successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Apply their understanding of curriculum, teaching and learning, and assessment theories and practice to a subject learning environment.
- Justify the critical roles played by a subject's curriculum, teaching and learning, and assessment principles and practice in promoting, enhancing and sustaining a subject's learning and improving its teaching according to the domains of learning.
- Apply the skills of problem-solving and critical thinking in relation to the teaching and learning context.
- Able to express ideas clearly and relate to others in accordance with the social context.
- Develop professional attributes, knowledge skills and competencies through systematic inquiry and reflection into own practice.
- Develop a deep understanding of the teaching profession which put the interest of the learner at the heart of the teacher's work.
- Able to adapt and meet the demands posed by changing global environment in transforming teaching and learning.
- Develop entrepreneurial knowledge and skills consistent with the needs of the market.
- Exhibit thoughtful leadership, able to lead a team, to plan and complete a project
Who Should Apply
The MTL program is designed for those with a passion for teaching. It has been developed to meet the needs of both pre-service and in-service teachers.
- Pre-Service Teachers: Those who aspire to become teachers. The program places students in a school/college setting, where they can not only gain first hand, practical exposure but also network with potential employers.
- In-Service Teachers: Those who are already in the workforce but would like to specialize in a given field/subject and gain a formal qualification to reflect their professional status. The program is ideal, as 55% of the program will be delivered through a work-based setting that reduces the need to travel to campus.
February, May & September
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 3, 2018