The purpose of the program is to develop built environment professionals specializing in the sustainable planning, design, development, and management of urban centers. These graduates will acquire advanced abilities in applying sustainable development principles to urban development to benefit societies at large. One of the main objectives is to develop an advanced capability to independently conduct fundamental urban issues related to research and as such promote a lifelong learning approach.
Any holder of a Bachelor honors degree in any relevant field, such as technological, commercial, science and arts will be eligible for admission to study towards the Master of Sustainable Urban Planning and Development OR Holders of Bachelor of Technology Degrees with additional research experience at Honours Level or participation in a bridging program and a minimum of 2 years work experience will also be eligible for admission to study towards the Master of Sustainable Urban Planning and Development.
At the University of Johannesburg “The Future. Reimagined.” is not simply a catchy phrase
The institution is taking the lead across Africa in the 4th Industrial Revolution Thinking, reimagining the future for all disciplines 4IR is the next wave of industrialization that we need to understand and shape in order to build the future of this country – and the Africa continent – so richly deserve. 4IR is not just about robotics and automation; it is about the advancement of society to empower people and uplift generations.
As the world moves forward into the 4th industrial revolution, so does UJ with “Education 4IR” – bringing 4IR thinking and technology into the curriculum across different courses and using innovative blended-learning technologies. This means that UJ graduates are better prepared to embrace the future of business and industry as AI and 4IR play a bigger part in the way we live and work.
At the University of Johannesburg, it is our duty to embrace and navigate the future leaders of our country proudly and boldly through the unimagined complexities of 4IR so that they may take full advantage and deliver a better tomorrow. Future leaders like you! Here we are leading courageous conversation; pushing and shaping the design of a new tomorrow. Here we are taking action and building the new world.
Duration of program:
Full-time: 1 year / Part-time: 2 years
Name: Ms Dudu Kanyi / Tel: 011 559 2109 / Email: email@example.com
Brief description of the program:
On completion of this program the student will be able to:
- understanding of relevant theory useful in solving planning, development and management problems in cities of the developing world;
- reflect on the usefulness of principles of sustainable development to understand the socio-economic and environmental imperatives in urban areas
- demonstrate a high level of understanding of smart cities and the need for the provision of adequate and intelligent infrastructure in urban areas
- demonstrate the imperatives in managing the rapidly growing cities of the developing world
- exhibit an understanding of the research process and requirements in urban planning and development
- engage theoretical frameworks relevant to the development of urban space and be able to complete a dissertation within the built environment and related fields
- Organize and develop entrepreneurial opportunities through urban research, development and management skills.
About the School
Vibrant, multicultural and dynamic, the University of Johannesburg (UJ) shares the pace and energy of cosmopolitan Johannesburg, the city whose name it carries. Proudly South African, the university i ... Read More