This master's program offers high-quality training in statistics for research or for professional life. The student can choose from various fields of specialization, such as biometrics, social behavioral and educational statistics, business statistics, industrial statistics, mathematical statistics, official statistics, or an interdisciplinary statistics profile.
What is the program all about?
The interdisciplinary program has teaching grounded in internationally recognized research. You will be trained intensively by experts in both the broad theoretical and the practical aspects of statistics. The program will teach you how to apply statistical methodology. You will gain all the necessary experience and insight to be confident within any situation to quickly and efficiently complete any given problem.
The Master of Statistics program consists of a common core curriculum, option-specific courses, elective courses, and a master’s thesis:
- Common core curriculum (30 ECTS): these courses are compulsory for every student.
- Option-specific courses (min. 32 ECTS): you choose courses worth a minimum of 32 ECTS in the option of your selection.
- Elective courses (30 ECTS): to tailor the program to your needs and interests.
- You will learn from experts about biometrics, social behavioral and educational statistics, business statistics, industrial statistics, mathematical statistics, and official statistics.
- The master is offered by the Leuven Statistics Research Centre of KU Leuven (LStat), a privileged meeting space for statistics researchers from a range of different domains and a stimulating environment for multidisciplinary statistical research. The master is accredited by the UK Royal Statistical Society to add greater prestige to your qualification.
Is this the right program for me?
- Do you have the ability to autonomously build a discourse based on disciplinary insights? The ability to contextualize and critically process scientific information? The knowledge of research methods and techniques and the ability to apply them within statistical disciplines, insight, and involvement in ethical and societal questions? If so, then this is the master's program for you.
- You should have obtained an academic bachelor's degree with a sound background in introductory statistics. Prospective students should also have cognitive skills, competencies, and attitudes expected of a master-level student.
The program Master in Statistics has the following learning outcomes:
The master of Statistics:
Knowledge and insight
1. possesses a thorough knowledge of and insight in the field of Statistics
a. has a perspective on the research and consulting aspects of one or more statistical fields within at least one of the following: biometry, industrial statistics, social behavioral and educational statistics, business statistics, statistical methodology, official statistics.
b. understands similarities and differences between different statistical methodologies and practices across different sub-fields of statistics.
Applying knowledge and insight
3. has the competences and the insight to take the following steps in their own scientific research within a research team:
a. can handle scientific quantitative research questions in the application area, independently, effectively, creatively, and correctly using state-of-the-art design and analysis methodology and software.
b. has the skills and the habit to assess data quality and integrity.
c. is aware of the ethical, moral, legal, policymaking, and privacy context of statistics and shows conduct accordingly.
Developing an opinion
4. appreciates the international nature of the field of statistical science.
5. is aware of the societal relevance of statistics.
6. can critically appraise methodology and challenge proposals for reported results of data analysis.
7. can work in an intercultural, and international team, and understands the need and importance of working in a multidisciplinary team.
8. is an effective written and oral communicator, as well as an effective negotiator, both within their own field as well as towards other disciplines in the context of multidisciplinary projects.
9. is aware of the common stakeholders and the need for assertive and empathic interaction with them.
10. is capable of acquiring new knowledge.
Depending on the chosen option, the student masters following additional learning outcomes:
11. The master can act as a statistical consultant to subject-matter scientists and practitioners or/and as a collaborative researcher in an area of specialization.
The applications of statistics are very diverse, just like your professional options. As a highly skilled statistician, you'll be recruited by industry, banks or government institutions. Many graduates go on to designing clinical trials and supporting the biomedical sector, coaching research for new medicines, setting up and analyzing psychological tests and surveys, performing financial risk analyses, statistically managing R&D projects and quality controls, or developing statistical software.
Start your career, during your studies
During your bachelor's and master's program you can already shape your own profile by choosing a certain specialization, studying abroad (Erasmus), doing a work placement, or starting your own business.
The Student Career Center is happy to put you on the right track towards your first work experience. The center also coaches you in the search for an interesting job and helps you with job interviews. For students wanting to start their own business KU Leuven also has Lcie, the KU Leuven community that encourages students with innovative and entrepreneurial ideas.
Don’t know where to start? The Student Career Center's databases contain offers for jobs, volunteer work, innovation projects, and student jobs. You can also visit one of the events organized by the Career Center.
About the School
KU Leuven is an institution for research and education with international appeal. All programmes at this University are based on the innovative research of its scientists and professors and are ranked ... Read More