Sustainable Communication (SusCom) is a Media and Communication master’s programme designed for students who want to deepen their understanding of the significant role of media and communication for global sustainability.
In a time where anthropogenic climate change is threatening the life conditions on which we all depend, and where inequality, wars, and armed conflicts remain global problems, the need for global sustainability becomes urgent.
SusCom is a master’s programme where you will study the relationship between media and communication and the environmental, social and economic dimensions of sustainability. The programme is offered in close cooperation with the research environment Sustainable Communication at Jönköping University, which has published extensively in the areas of environmental communication, global journalism, transmedia storytelling, and communication for development.
SusCom is offered as a 1-year (60 credits) and a 2-year (120 credits) programme. The 2-year programme is an extension of the 1-year programme, which means that students of both programmes study together during their first year. A mandatory work placement of five weeks is offered during the first year. Students of the 1-year programme write one thesis (15 credits). Students of the 2-year programme write two theses (15 credits each).
Master of Social Science with a major in Media and Communication Studies. 1 year, 60 credits or 2 years 120 credits.
After graduating, students may be interested in working for organizations that work with communication and sustainability. Those who have completed the 2-year programme also have the opportunity to study further at the doctoral level.
- Credits: 60 credits / 120 credits
- Level: Master
- Rate of study: Full-time
- Place of study: Campus-based
- Language: English
- Start date: August 19, 2019
- Requirements: The applicant must hold the minimum of a bachelor's degree (i.e. the equivalent of 180 ECTS credits at an accredited university) with at least 90 ECTS credits in media and communication studies, including independent, theoretical based work, i.e. a thesis or the equivalent. Proof of English proficiency is required.
- Degree: Degree of Master of Social Science (60 credits or 120 credits) with a major in Media and Communication Science
- Tuition fees: 117,000 SEK per year. Tuition fees do NOT apply for EU/EEA citizens or exchange students
(NB Preliminary list of courses)
- Sustainability and Communication 15 credits
- Media in the Digital Age 7.5 credits
- Transmedia Storytelling and Design 7.5 credits
- Research Methods 1 7.5 credits
- Work Placement 7.5 credits
- Master's Thesis 1 15 credits
- Media and Globalization 7.5 credits
- Global Crisis Communication 7.5 credits
- Communication for Development 7.5 credits
- Global Cultural Studies 7.5 credits
- Research Methods 2 7.5 credits
- Individual Literature Course 7.5 credits
- Master's Thesis 2 15 credits
About the School
We build an international university in Jönköping which attracts highly qualified, inventive and enterprising people from all around the world. We contribute to sustainable economic, social and cultur ... Read More