The Master of Science with a major in accounting is designed to provide an appropriate base of knowledge for entry into the accounting profession. Students earning this degree will have completed an educational program consistent with recommendations from professional accountants and accounting educators and will be prepared for entry into careers as professional accountants--- either as public or management accountants or as internal auditors within the public or private sector.
The program is open to any qualified student who has an interest in professional accounting, regardless of the student's previous program of study. Every student completing the program will have fulfilled the professional program requirements outlined below.
Students may apply for admission to the MS program in either of two ways. Students pursuing the five-year, 154-semester-hour program are admitted to the graduate portion of the program upon satisfactory completion of 103 hours of the 118-hour undergraduate portion of the professional program. Students who previously have earned a baccalaureate (or higher) degree from an accredited institution in any discipline may apply for admission directly to the graduate portion of the program.
Students who meet the following requirements may be admitted to the MS with a major in accounting program:
1. admission to UNT and to the School of Graduate Studies;
2. completion of the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) with a satisfactory score. The GMAT score must not be more than seven years old and the student must have a score of 25 percent or more on the verbal portion of the GMAT. Students must score a minimum of 450 on the GMAT. International students must have a TOEFL score of 550 or more or a previous degree from an American university; and
3. admission by the Department of Accounting.
Admission to the graduate program in accounting is attained by meeting one of the following admission standards: overall GPA x GMAT = 1475 points or better; or last 60 hours GPA x GMAT = 1525 points or better. Students in the integrated professional program (BS/MS) must meet the following progression standard in addition to meeting one of the admission standards listed above: undergraduate overall GPA of 2.8; or last 60 hour GPA of 3.0 and undergraduate advanced accounting GPA of 3.0.
The final decision regarding admission to the MS with a major in accounting program rests with the Department of Accounting.
The student earning the MS with a major in accounting must meet the following requirements:
1. completion of leveling courses in accounting and business as necessary;
2. completion of at least 36 semester hours of graduate work beyond leveling courses assigned by the department;
3. a GPA of at least a 3.0 on all graduate work taken at UNT;
4. a GPA of at least a 3.0 on all accounting courses taken at UNT, after admission to graduate school;
5. a GPA of at least a 3.0 on all courses taken, for graduate credit;
6. at least 15 hours in 5000-level accounting courses at UNT; and
7. minimum academic standards for master's students.
Program taught in:
See 3 more programs offered by University of North Texas College of Business Administration »
This course is