The College of Business and Economic Development offers a program leading to the Master of Science in Workforce Training and Development. The program emphasizes both the research and theory framework as well as the practical application of workforce learning and performance. The goal of the Workforce Training and Development master’s program is to prepare students to improve human performance, balance individual and organizational needs, build knowledge capital within the organization, and determine the return on investment of training programs.
Students learn to think strategically to design and develop interventions that will positively impact workplace learning and performance. This program is designed to expand instructional opportunities beyond traditional boundaries of on-campus class delivery. The Workforce Training and Development Executive Format program utilizes a distance-learning platform to maximize interaction and learning not only during in-person, weekend-class sessions but also between sessions via online communication among students and professors.
WTD PROGRAM GOALS
Attract quality students
Contribute to the body of HRD knowledge
Create HRD opportunities in technology transfer
Establish international network of training HRD professionals
Offer innovative and current Workforce Training and Development curricula
The WTD master's program prepares students to:
- balance individual and organizational needs,
- build knowledge capital within the organization,
- improve human performance, and
- improve financial return.
Students will learn a systematic instructional design approach that:
- determines the most appropriate and cost-effective delivery media,
- delivers relevant skills and knowledge to participants by linking the development of instruction to measurable outcomes and
- measures the results of training interventions.
* a scientific approach to enhance performance (performance technology) that
- uses a systematic process of analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation to resolve performance issues,
considers cost-benefits and return on investment for performance solutions,
- addresses all organizational factors that impact performance the worker, the work process, and the organization to increase organizational and individual effectiveness, and
- values employees as the organization’s most important asset.
CAREERS IN WORKFORCE TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
The Master of Science Degree in Workforce Training and Development prepares students for careers in the following areas:
- human performance consulting
- human resource development
- instructional design
- organizational development
- performance improvement
- training and development
- training management
- workforce development
The WTD master’s program is designed to equip students with the skills needed to systematically identify, analyze, and solve a variety of human performance problems in a variety of organizations such as business, industry, government agencies, the military, and educational institutions.
Last updated January 25, 2018