Master of Science in Taxation (MS-Tax)
Ranked as the top tax graduate program in the U.S. by TaxTalent.com, the Master of Science in Taxation stresses real-world skills that empower students to be exceptional tax professionals.
Golden Gate University's Master of Science in Taxation (MST) is one of the most prestigious tax programs in the country, having earned a reputation for providing the most comprehensive and practical education available. The curriculum stresses real-world content that prepares students to be knowledgeable tax professionals. Courses cover general and specialized tax subjects, including: estate and gift tax; partnerships; C corporations; LLCs and S corporations; California and multi-state tax; international tax; retirement plans; tax issues for individuals; and tax research.
The program provides thorough and current knowledge of tax concepts, trends and practices in an environment that promotes the development of analytic and communication skills.
Graduates of the Master of Science in Taxation program will:
- Demonstrate the ability to identify tax issues, determine the applicable relevant primary authority, analyze relevant primary authority and apply the authorities to reach well-reasoned oral or written conclusions.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge and understanding of IRS practice and procedure and be able to represent a client in a tax controversy.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the ethics and standards of professional responsibilities applicable to tax practitioners.
Students are encouraged to participate in an internship for experience and course credit.
Graduate degree programs require proficiency in writing to ensure that students are successful in their course of study.
Students will need to have an understanding of United States business practices to be successful in our graduate programs.
79 TOEFL or 6.5 IELTS or 57 PTE is the minimum exam score.
ADVANCED PROGRAM -- 30 UNITS*
CORE COURSES -- 21 UNITS
- TA 318 Advanced Federal Income Taxation
- TA 319 Federal Tax Procedure
- TA 322A Federal Income Taxation of Corporations and Shareholders I
- TA 328 Federal Income Taxation of Partners and Partnerships
- TA 329 Tax Research and Decision Making
- TA 330 Property Transactions
- TA 338 Tax Timing
ELECTIVES -- 9 UNITS
9 units from courses with the TA (Taxation) Prefix
It is highly recommended that students take TA 356: Limited Liabilities Companies and S Corporations: A Choice of Entity (3 units). If eligible, students may take TA 398: Tax Internship.**
**Up to 6 units of course credit may be obtained through internship experience. Eligibility is determined by the Bruce F. Braden School of Taxation. Please see Internship Eligibility for more information.
Students transferring credit from accredited law schools, colleges, and universities may be granted as many as 6 units of credit toward the Master of Science in Taxation requirements for graduate tax courses successfully completed at those institutions.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT WELCOME SCHOLARSHIP
Golden Gate University welcomes international students from all over the world. We are excited to introduce a one-time scholarship for all international students who enroll in our Graduate Degree Program and meet the requirements. You may receive a scholarship in the amount of up to USD $2,000 off tuition.
Cost & Fees
$3,465 per 3-unit course
This school offers programs in:
Last updated April 30, 2018