Transforming Organizations Facing A Big Challenge
Today’s reference to sustainable development as a response to environmental "crisis" no longer allows us to grasp the deep transformations witnessed by the Earth’s entry into a new geological and climatic epoch: the Anthropocene. This term refers to a new geological period dating back to the Industrial Revolution marked by the impact of human activities. Well beyond the design of a new product, a new service, or a new business model, design today needs to tackle the issue of strategic anticipation that is impacting all socio-economic activities. It is precisely to address this imperative and the growing demand from students who are increasingly concerned about these challenges that ESC Clermont Business School and Strate Ecole de Design are offering this new program which is the first of its kind in the world.
Training professionals from different fields mainly associated with the design and strategic management; developing means of action to transform organizations; adopting a prospective approach and taking into account ecological disruptions in the Anthropocene Era. This program responds to strong societal demand from organizations, as well as the academic world, from both students and scholars alike.
- Addressing the Anthropocene through the prism of design, integrating the strategy of the humanities and the strategy of organizations.
- In-depth reframing of issues historically associated with sustainable development and corporate social responsibility.
- Taking into account the contributions of environmental, climate, and engineering sciences, especially for decision-making and organizational transformation.
Targeted Skills & Competencies
MSc students will acquire new technical and operational skills to initiate transition policies within organizations that wish to implement change by making proactive, rapid and effective ecological redirections. They will also be trained in the processes, methods, and techniques that will enable them to design desirable futures within ecological, climatic, legal, social and political constraints. They will learn how to set up new forms of investigation to address unusual critical situations: accelerated changes in an ecosystem, the collapse of a resource or living environment, situations of scarcity, humanitarian and social crisis, strategic crisis, forward-looking strategies, etc.
“Tomorrow’s managers, engineers, and designers will have to be able to play a transformative role, proposing methods and engineering skills to «redirect», as you propose, the technological organizations and innovation projects, making them compatible with the ecological transition, or even radically reinventing them. We believe that the players in our ecosystem - and ourselves - may be interested in hosting your future students on a work-study (internship or apprenticeship) basis.”
General Delegate of the Fondation Internet Nouvelle Génération
“I am convinced that the profile of the graduates of this Master of Science will be coveted on the job market, and in many sectors and that your training will be pioneering and is destined to show the way that others will inevitably follow.”
Director, The Shift Project (the transition carbon think tank)
- Ecological transition design manager
- CSR manager
- Ecological transition consultant
- Territorial development manager
- Prospective manager
- Sustainable development manager
Learning Expedition: Inquiring Critical Zones
- General introduction, 6 hours
- Learning Expeditions and Inquiry
Critical Zones and Earth-System. Micro & Macro Levels: New Inquiry Methods and Protocols
- Introduction to Inquiry, 32 hours
- Investigating Territories in Critical Ecological Zones, 8 hours
- New Inquiry Protocols, 11 hours
- Archiving and Documenting Inquiries Workshop, 6 hours
Critical Zones and Earth-System. Macro Level: Diagnosis and Modelling
- Reports & Narrative of The Anthropocene, 27 hours
- Introduction to Complex Systems Modelling, 27 hours
- Scales of the Anthropocene: Territories, Milieux, Controversies, 6 hours
Strategical Foundations for the Anthropocene: Technics, Institutions and Organizations
- A Deep History of the Anthropocene, 18 hours
- Anthropology of Nature, 6 hours
- Towards and Beyond the Organizational World: a Historical Perspective, 15 hours
- An Analysis of Institutions and Economics, 9 hours
- Strategy, 21 hours
- Organizations in the Anthropocene, 12 hours
- Innovation in the Anthropocene, 27 hours
- Technics in the Anthropocene, 42 hours
- Complex Systems and Environment: a Case Study, 13 hours
Learning How To Do Things (Micro Level): Community-Engaged Design
- Rural Community-Engaged Learning Expedition
- Institutions, Corporations, Territories, Risk, Vision and Scenario Mapping, 24 hours
- Designing, 42 hours
- New Arts & Crafts and Local Productive Models – Workshops, 24 hours
- Biotic and Human/Non-Human Communities Design 24+ Workshop, 6 hours
- Designing Engaged Design, 15 hours
- Esthetics and Experience, 12 hours
Designing Organizations for The Anthropocene
- Designing and Engineering at the Meso Level, 20 hours
- Environmental Accounting, New Metrics, and Territorial Metabolism, 27 hours
- Industrial Organizations and Arbitration Protocols, 6 hours
- Redesigning Business Models and Ecological Redirection, 9 hours
- Design of the Commons and Public Policy, 15 hours
- Designing “Entreprises à Mission”, 15 hours
- Designing Law, 12 hours
- Designing Negative Commons, 12 hours
Professional Mission & Thesis
- Master’s Thesis
- Oral Defense
- Company Assessment
Career Path and Internship
- Documenting Workshops
- Tools for Professionalization
- Designing Jobs and Business-Models
- A 4-year Bachelor's degree or Validated Master 1
- Proficiency in English (Official TOEFL score of 550 at least, or TOEIC of 750, or IELTS 6.0)
- Early bird scholarships: Reduction on the fees for students who pay the full fees before starting the program.
- Scholarships provided by ESC Clermont Foundation: Scholarships based on three criteria: Financial situation, academic performance, and behavior of the students.
- Scholarships to go abroad: Scholarships allowing students to finance part of their stay in Europe as part of their study abroad in partner university or internship.
- All applications are to be submitted online.
- Candidates will be invited to take a skype interview on an automated video conference aiming to evaluate their academic profile, motivation, and linguistic skills.
Brooke Cagle / Unsplash
About the School
Founded in 1919, ESC Clermont Business School is a ‘Grande Ecole’ business school in France. The business school offers undergraduate and postgraduate programmes that train and prepare business leade ... Read More