Why Choose Master of Science in Strategic Marketing Management?
Strategic Marketing is about creating future-proof businesses that are able to create value for their customers and make money in an ever-changing marketplace. This is a master's programme for people who like to communicate and support their message with a thorough understanding of statistics and analysis to substantiate their communication to their targeted market. The programme could be your path to a leadership career in marketing management. Your understanding of digital platforms and new ways of reaching the market will be highly sought after.
The programme will provide you with the academic and professional competence you need for managerial positions in marketing, both in Norway and abroad. The skills you develop in the programme are relevant to a wide range of positions in market-oriented organisations, wherever the ability to build and deliver value to customers is required.
What Will You Learn?
You will receive cutting-edge, research-based training from faculty at BI's top-ranked Department of Marketing. The curriculum is advanced and innovative. Some of the most important topics in the programme include understanding the consumer's psychology and behaviour, marketing research and statistical methods, building strong brands in the goods and services markets, and the financial consequences of marketing investments.
By taking a Master's degree in Strategic Marketing Management, you will be able to further develop your ability to understand what makes winners and losers in the market. You will develop analytical and communication skills through close interaction with faculty and fellow students.
Among the most popular topics, you will find:
- Brand Management: Understanding how to strategically position and grow a brand. Could you build the next Apple or Coca-Cola?
- Understanding the Consumer: Get fresh insight into consumer behaviour and what makes people buy.
- Strategic Management: Learn to analyse markets and situations strategically, and get familiar with how you must think as a top-level executive.
The MSc in Strategic Marketing Management is a two-year, 120-ECTS-credit programme consisting of 90-course credits and 30 MSc thesis credits.
Customise Your Degree
Gain an advantage in the job market by tailoring your degree. As a Master of Science in Strategic Marketing Management student, you can choose either an internship to obtain relevant work experience, or add an international dimension to your degree by going on exchange or earning a Double Degree.
A Master's in Strategic Marketing Management will provide you with a solid basis for managerial positions in market-oriented organisations. This is a programme in leadership education as well as in marketing education. With this degree, you will be able to work in a wide range of businesses and industries.
Here are a few examples of positions our former student have obtained:
- Head of Integrated Communication, Mercedes-Benz
- Category Trade Manager, Mondelez International
- Brand Manager, Stabburet
- Marketing Coordinator, Silicon Laboratories
- Market Analyst, Verdens Gang AS (VG)
- Project Manager, Microsoft Norway
There are many, many other opportunities as well! It is important to understand that with a marketing career, you need experience and knowledge of a market to really apply your knowledge to full effect. Try not to focus too much on titles, but try to find what kind of products and markets you really want to get to know.
1.0 DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
1.1 Undergraduate Degree
a) A successfully completed Bachelor’s degree (180 ECTS credits) in the field of business administration or marketing
b) A successfully completed Bachelor's degree (180 ECTS) with a specialisation (minimum 80 ECTS credits) in one of the following, provided that the combination of courses gives a good foundation for further studies within strategic marketing management:
- Social Sciences (e.g. Psychology, Sociology, Economics)
- Management (e.g. Strategy, Leadership)
- Communication or Public Relations
1.2 The Bachelor's degree must include the following courses or equivalent:
- Foundations in Marketing
- Foundations in Economics (e.g. Macro or Micro)
- Statistics or Econometrics*
*Based on an overall assessment, an applicant may receive a conditional offer of admission if this course is lacking in the Bachelor’s degree. The applicant will be required to take a course in Statistics before the start of the academic year to fulfil this condition. BI Norwegian Business School offers a preparatory course in Statistics in July/August each year.
2.0 PROGRAMME SPECIFIC GRADE REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the admission requirements for all MSc degree programmes, applicants to the MSc in Strategic Marketing Management programme require:
- A minimum grade of C in courses of particular relevance to the MSc in Strategic Marketing Management programme, including Marketing, Statistics, and Economics.
3.0 OVERALL ASSESSMENT
In the event an applicant does not meet all the minimum requirements, an individual overall assessment will be conducted. Based on an overall assessment of the individual applicant’s admission file, the MSc Admission Committee and/or the Associate Dean may make an offer of admission to an MSc programme. They may approve other documented qualifications to satisfy admission requirements.
The admission requirements above are minimum requirements. We recommend that applicants have a combination of Business and Economics related (e.g. Management, Strategy, Political Science) subjects as a foundation for this master's programme.
- Grades are posted using the ECTS scale.
- In addition to the general admission requirements for all Master of Science degree programmes, each individual MSc programme has specific curricular requirements you must also fulfil to gain admission.
- Admission requirements are subject to change.
BI Norwegian Business School prides itself on its rigorous academic curriculum and engaging educational experience with career-minded application of theory.
To succeed in the MSc in Strategic Marketing Management programme, applicants need a strong foundation in the rigorous study of both theory and methods and an affinity for/interest in topics centred around marketing—including the behaviour of consumers and firms/organisations, and how actions of the marketplace participants translate into successful outcomes.
Our master’s degree programmes are looking for candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Global mindset: willingness to experience new cultures, languages, and life outside their comfort zone as demonstrated through exchange semesters, study abroad, global volunteer experiences, etc.
- Leadership potential: active participation and contribution to extra-curricular activities and volunteer work at school and in the community
- Academic ability: learns, applies knowledge, and improves academic standing over the course of a programme of academic study
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 27, 2018