- Course title: Master of Science in Strategic Management and Marketing
- Course code: PMSCSMNMRKFTT8
- Postnominal: M.Sc.(Melit.)
- Level of qualification: Second Cycle
- National Qualifications Framework level: Level 7
- Duration: 3 Semesters
- Mode of attendance: Full-time
- Total ECTS credits: 90
- Coordinator: Emanuel Said
- Delivered by: Faculty of Economics, Management and Accountancy
The programme offers an opportunity for participants to develop critical thinking skills and attitudes, along with a balanced knowledge (in terms of depth and width) of up-to-date theories and practices that organisations in any industry demand from modern managers and marketing executives. This approach aims to help graduates transform into executives who adopt and maintain a discipline where decisions are reached following an acute evaluation of risks based on reliable and valid evidence gathered about markets, competition and customers, rather than relying on management fads.
All study units rely on the latest thinking and ideas in the relevant discipline, based on empirical research that is leading to the emergence of new areas that are in demand across employers in developed economies.
Admission and progression requirements
The Course shall be open to applicants in possession of:
- the degree of Bachelor of Commerce from this University, in the same or in related areas of study as the areas of study applied for, obtained with at least Category II and with a minimum average mark of 65% in one of the two proposed areas of study in the Degree; or
- the degree of Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) from this University, in the same or in related areas of study as the areas of study applied for, obtained with at least Second Class Honours
provided that subject to the submission of a portfolio covering at least 3 years’ experience in relevant areas, the Board may consider also applicants in possession of the degree obtained with Third Class Honours; or
- the degree of Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Business and IT from this University, obtained with at least Second Class Honours; or
- the degree of Bachelor of Science in Business and Computing from this University, obtained with at least Category II and with a minimum average of 65% in the Business area
provided that subject to the submission of a portfolio covering at least 3 years’ experience in relevant areas, the Board may consider also applicants in possession of the degree obtained with Category III; or
- a first cycle degree from this University obtained with at least Second Class Honours or Category II in an area deemed appropriate by the Board,
provided that such applicants shall be required to submit a portfolio covering at least 3 years’ experience by the closing date of the application in relevant areas, and provided further that such applicants shall be required to attend for an interview to allow the Board to assess their suitability to follow the Course with profit; or
- a first cycle degree from any university that is equivalent to the qualifications set out in paragraphs 1-5.
In appropriate cases, the Board may require students admitted to the Course to follow and pass supplementary study-units to which a maximum of 12 ECTS are assigned, in addition to the programme of study specified in bye-law 11 of the bye-laws for the course.
Info for applicants with international qualifications
UM currently hosts over 1,000 full-time international students and over 450 visiting students. The ever-increasing international students coming from various countries, in recent years, have transformed this 400-year old institution into an international campus.
Our international students generally describe Malta as a safe place, enjoying excellent weather and an all-year varied cultural programme. Malta is considered as the ideal place for students to study.
The International Office at UM provides information about admission, English language requirements, and comparability of qualifications. Dedicated personnel assist international students with visas, health tests, accommodation and other related issues.
Fees and funding
- Annual Enrolment Fee: Euro 400
- Total Tuition Fees: Euro 10,800
- Year 1: Eur 10,800 - Year 2: NIL
These tuition fees are quoted for indicative purposes only as they are based on the programme of studies of 2018/9.
The programme helps students to develop:
- A balanced knowledge and understanding of the latest thinking and ideas in the relevant discipline based on empirical research in new areas like people performance metrics, digital analytics, decision modelling, service design and social marketing;
- Evolved intellectual skills manifest through conceptualization and reasoning of options and positions in corporate and marketing strategy by challenging concepts, information and data as core aspects of insight access, gathering, filtering and dissemination in a corporate environment;
- Enhanced aptitudes to debate aspects of corporate and marketing strategy to a range of audiences that prevail in ordinary corporate contexts;
- Augmented abilities to creatively conceptualize offers involving product/service features, communications, distribution, service levels and processes in a variety of market conditions;
- Augmented numerical and qualitative analysis skills as well as an ability to conduct research projects independently as well as the ability to deploy digital analytics tools to create and implement marketing communications that stand out from the crowd;
- An entrepreneurial propensity towards creatively designing and deploying corporate strategies that translate in aligned human resource planning and deployment with relevance to specific marketing operations, as well as
- A capability to design service offers that appeal to targeted customers (using customer insight) and effectively deploy resources through acute rationality embedded in decision making whilst retaining a balance between stiff corporate and business objectives and society's needs.
Course intended for
The programme targets individuals who possess undergraduate degrees in management or marketing and are planning for a career in these areas.
Career opportunities and access to further studies
Graduates of the programme face a myriad of career opportunities in marketing and related management roles in a diversity of industries, locally and overseas. Specific opportunities may include fast growth sectors like i-gaming, financial services and other service sectors.
About the School
The University of Malta (UM) is the highest teaching institution in Malta. It is publicly funded and is open to all those who have the requisite qualifications. There are some 11,000 students and abou ... Read More