Develop strong brand campaigns that grow audiences and drive business with the Master of Science in Strategic Advertising and Marketing, a joint master’s degree offered by the Fox School of Business and Klein College of Media and Communication at Temple University. Acquire the skills needed to merge market research, consumer behavior analysis, and creative storytelling techniques into successful communication strategies.
This interdisciplinary master’s program combines analytic-oriented marketing courses from Fox and strategy-oriented advertising courses from Klein, resulting in a unique blend of quantitative and qualitative insights. Striking a balance between theoretical principles and hands-on application, the program’s curriculum prepares students for work in numerous areas of marketing and advertising, including
- interactive brand strategy,
- marketing research analysis,
- mobile strategy,
- social media management and
- strategic planning.
Remain at the forefront of today’s media landscape by staying abreast of changes in target audiences, technology, and information delivery methods. From Temple’s renowned faculty of industry experts, you will build knowledge around concepts central to the development of marketing and advertising campaigns. Those concepts include
- performance metrics analysis,
- data visualizations,
- market research strategies and
- multi-platform media plans.
This master’s program is part-time and composed of evening courses at Temple University Center City, allowing you to complete your coursework while working professionally. The program’s marketing and advertising classes are meant to be taken concurrently, and the average duration of the program is five semesters.
A diverse faculty brings extensive real-world knowledge to the Strategic Advertising and Marketing MS program, with some professors holding more than 25 years of professional experience in business development, cable television advertisement, and marketing management. Professors have held positions at such globally recognized firms as Millward Brown, and others have worked with entertainment, tourism, insurance, and automotive brands. Locally, faculty members have served as board members for AIGA Philadelphia and the Philly Ad Club.
Classes & Curriculum
Among the courses offered in this 30-credit degree program are
- Advertising Research and Strategy,
- Consumer and Buyer Behavior,
- Persuasion and the Marketplace,
- User Experience Designs and Strategy, and
- Visual Communication and Branding.
A three-credit Capstone in Marketing course connects students with real-world business challenges in the marketplace. Success in this course requires playing an active role in a field research project, applying knowledge, skill, and competency to develop and implement a company’s product line and communication strategy.
General Program Requirements:
Number of Credits Required Beyond the Baccalaureate: 30
- ADV 5501 Advertising Research and Strategy
- ADV 5502 Media Planning and Analysis
- ADV 5503 Persuasion and the Marketplace
- ADV 5504 Visual Communication and Branding
- ADV 5505 User Experience Design and Strategy
- MKTG 5001 Marketing Management/Strategy
- MKTG 5101 Consumer and Buyer Behavior
- MKTG 5104 Marketing Strategy
- MKTG 5118 EMM Capstone
- STAT 5602 Visualization: The Art of Numbers and the Psychology of Persuasion
Craft a compelling career with the Strategic Advertising and Marketing MS. Many jobs available to degree holders include
- director of advertising and data analytics,
- director of mobile strategy,
- integrated marketing manager,
- interactive account director,
- interactive brand strategist,
- interactive content producer,
- interactive marketing manager/strategist,
- interactive marketing specialist,
- lead generation specialist,
- manager of strategic planning,
- marketing analytics director,
- marketing research analyst,
- mobile advertising account manager,
- new media planner/buyer,
- paid search specialist,
- product manager,
- SEO account manager,
- SEO specialist,
- social media manager and
- user experience strategist.
Temple University maintains strong ties with employers, both within the city of Philadelphia and beyond, who have employed, or currently employ, former Temple students. Graduates from the Marketing Department have gone on to work for a variety of employers, including
- Burlington Stores,
- Comcast Corporation,
- Communications Media Inc.,
- Enterprise Holdings,
- Harmelin Media,
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.,
- PNC Financial Services Group,
- Power Home Remodeling Group,
- Prudential Financial,
- SAP America, Inc.,
- Stanley Black & Decker,
- Subaru of America, Inc.,
- TD Bank,
- Temple University and
How to Apply
Apply through the Fox online application system and submit your $60 application fee. Graduate candidates must have a bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3.0 GPA to apply.
Tuition & Fees
In keeping with Temple’s commitment to access and affordability, this Master of Science offers a competitive level of tuition with multiple opportunities for financial support.
Tuition rates are set annually by the university and are affected by multiple factors, including program degree level (undergraduate or graduate), course load (full- or part-time), in-state or out-of-state residency, and more. These tuition costs apply to the 2019–2020 academic year.
- Pennsylvania resident: $1,114.00 per credit
- Out-of-state: $1,114.00 per credit