The Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems Master of Science Program at UAE University is the first of its kind in the region. It is designed to provide you with the theoretical background and practical skills to start or advance your career in remote sensing and GIS. Our curriculum has been specifically developed to suit students from diverse academic backgrounds and professional occupations. No prior remote sensing or GIS experience is required to excel in the program. (Total credit hours is 30 for thesis and 34 for no-thesis).
- Discuss the theoretical background and practical skills for a career in Remote Sensing or GIS.
- Identify the recent advances in Remote Sensing, GIS, and GNSS relating that with scientific research and its role in the society.
- Apply analytical and spatial thinking skills needed for successful use of remote sensing and GIS in solving spatial problems.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Discuss the theoretical principles of remote sensing and GIS and their role in modeling and solving environmental, urban and social issues.
- Recognize advanced analysis and interpretation skills needed in remote sensing and GIS.
- Apply practical remote sensing and GIS procedures for assessing and solving environmental, urban, geologic and societal problems.
- Communicate remote sensing and GIS related ideas and results both orally and in writing.
- Develop remote sensing and GIS project management, teamwork and leadership skills.
- Produce scientific research related to the applications of remote sensing and GIS.
Required Credit Hours: minimum 30 hours
Remote Sensing and GIS
Required Courses (18 hours)
- RGIS601Principles of Remote Sensing
- RGIS602Fundamentals of GIS
- RGIS603Digital Image Processing in RS
- RGIS604Spatial Analysis Using GIS
- RGIS605Local & Web-Based Services GIS
- RGIS606Database Management Systems
- RGIS607Seminar on Management Issues in RS&GIS
Elective Courses - 6CH for Thesis option and 12CH for Non-Thesis option (12 hours)
- BIOE625Coastal Management
- RGIS610Spatial Data Collection
- RGIS611Advanced Remote Sensing
- RGIS612Satellite Positioning
- RGIS613Software Engineering for GIS
- RGIS614Selected Topics
- RGIS615Project Management
- RGIS616Transport Applications of GIS
- RGIS617Urban and Environmental Applications of Remote sensing and GIS
- RGIS618Remote Sensing and GIS for Petroleum
Thesis or Capstone
Required Courses (Min CH:4 and Max CH:6) (6 hours)
- RGIS620 Capstone (Required for Non-Thesis)
- RGIS630 Thesis (Required for Thesis)
To meet the needs of UAE society all 9 Colleges at the United Arab Emirates University have established Master’s programs across multiple disciplines.
Students wishing to enroll in a program can apply online through our online application system.
This online service allows you to:
- Complete the online admissions application.
- Save your application to complete later) please note to remember your Login ID and PIN).
- Upload documents in support of your application (each document separately).
- Submit your online application.
- Upload the security form.
You can find detailed steps on how to apply for the graduate programs offered by UAEU by clicking on the following files
If you need additional assistance, you can visit the Admissions Department where a member of staff will assist you to complete the online admissions application.
Bachelor’s degree holders (National & International).
The College of Graduate Studies (CGS) has established minimum requirements for admission to Master’s programs. Individual Master’s programs may set additional and/or higher standards for admissions. To view the minimum requirements please click here.
All applicants must complete the Electronic application form. The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- Identity documents for Emirati students (copy of passport, nationality ID and UAE identity card). and international students inside UAE (copy of passport, valid visa, and UAE identity card). international students outside UAE only copy of Passport.
- Copy of official certificates & transcripts (Mark sheet) from all colleges or universities attended (Master and Bachelor). For the students whose have Degrees from outside UAE, kindly note they should have equivalency letter from the ministry of education in UAE.
- An official copy of the applicant’s score on the IELTS or TOEFL exam from one of the university’s accredited centers.
- A detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Two letters of recommendation from professionals familiar with the student’s academic work.
- Complete the Security Form.
- Undertaking Deliver the Equation Form.
3,000 AED per credit hour (Tuition). 200 AED (Application Fee).
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 14, 2018