Education for tomorrow's leaders in Real Estate
The study program in Real Estate is preparation for demanding challenges in the real estate sector and leading real estate institutions. Students get an understanding of real estate markets and investments as well as the strategic management of real estate services.
Why choose the Master of Science in Real Estate at the Lucerne School of Business?
The program offers the highest degree in real estate and qualifies students as future leaders in the real estate industry. In Switzerland, the study program is only offered at the Lucerne School of Business as part of Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts. The Master of Science in Real Estate is a research-based MSc with a practical dimension providing advanced technical and management training. It offers subject-specific skills and knowledge in the areas of real estate (asset) management, international real estate investments and finance, real estate developments as well as international real estate markets. The master's degree prepares students for demanding duties in the real estate sector and offers the perfect step for future leaders in the industry.
Master of Science in Real Estate (MScRE)
Students graduating with the MSc in Real Estate possess practical, research-based knowledge in the area of real estate. Graduates possess the following abilities:
- The ability to apply theoretical principles to understand and explain key environmental driving forces and influences in the real estate sector; the ability to provide a thorough analysis and evaluation of reciprocal interactions at a micro and macro level.
- The ability to understand the interaction of strategy, structure, and culture based on an in-depth examination of theoretical concepts and empirical findings; the ability to develop and evaluate inferences and strategies for real estate companies of various types and sizes.
- The ability to develop targeting and balanced strategies during the whole life of the cycle of different real estate assets.
- The ability to understand advanced methods when measuring and controlling risks of real estate investments; the ability to apply said methods in the control and monitoring of risks and the management of value.
- When making investment decisions, the ability to understand key influences and governance approaches for real estate and financial markets resulting from state-of-the-art research; the ability to apply said influences and approaches to a range of different real estate assets.
- Based on current findings, the ability to understand investments and structured products in view of their contribution to the risk and yield of portfolios; the ability to develop proposals for sound investment strategies and to analyze and evaluate such strategies based on the latest research methods.
- The ability to clearly understand advanced concepts of real estate corporate finance, to apply such concepts to complex financial problems in real estate companies, and to develop appropriate solutions.
- The ability to clearly understand marketing, CRM and process management concepts in the context of real estate companies and to develop and implement adapted concepts in the interests of sustained differentiation.
- The ability to understand management theories and methodological principles in the realm of self-management and team management; the ability to apply said principles in a situation-, people- and goal-oriented way; a keen awareness of the psychological and ethical aspects of collaboration.
- The ability to understand qualitative and, in particular, quantitative methods when it comes to academic work, and to apply them appropriately to practical situations in the field of banking and finance.
- The ability to develop ideas independently and focus on success-factors.
Field of activity:
Strategic key roles in the real estate industry cover all areas of real estate management and Investments e.g.:
- Investment funds/real estate private equity funds
- Listed real estate companies/real estate investment trusts
- Pension funds/insurance companies/family offices
- Real estate asset managers/asset management providers
- Real estate banking; Real estate investment banking
- Financial services companies; Real estate and financial consultancies
- Real estate and finance departments of companies across all sectors
- Public real estate management institutions; Real estate development companies
Admission to the Master of Science in Real Estate is subject to the following conditions:
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration with a specialization in real estate, finance or banking (minimum 24 ECTS) or
- Bachelor's degree with less than 24 ECTS in real estate, finance or banking: Missing ECTS have to be taken e.g. at Lucerne School of Business (courses offered in English and can be taken in the spring term and/or winter term, practical experiences can reduce the amount of ECTS needed) or
- Not related Bachelor’s degree; courses with 24 ECTS have to be taken e.g. at Lucerne School of Business (courses offered in English and can be taken in the spring term and/or winter term, practical experiences can reduce the amount of ECTS )
- An ability to follow tuition in English at the university level.
- A high level of motivation and readiness to work hard.
- A positive outcome of the admission interview.
1 April 2020 for applicants requiring a visa 15 May 2020 for Swiss and EU/EFTA applicants
Commencement of studies:
Mid-September (calendar week 38)
- Autumn semester: mid-September to Christmas (calendar weeks 38 to 52)
- Spring semester: mid-February to end May (calendar weeks 8 to 22)
Tuesday, 24 March 2020, Rotkreuz
Language of instruction:
- Enrollment fee: CHF 515
- Semester fees: CHF 800
Place of study:
Duration of studies:
- part-time study-track: 4 semesters
- work study-track: 6 semesters
Academic and practical relevance:
As an attractive option for holders of a bachelor's degree from a university-level institution, the Master of Science in Real Estate, an MSc degree, provides an academic, research-based, practically oriented and internationally aligned specialist education in real estate.
Teaching and training culture:
The course includes a combination of contact study, supervised self-study and self-directed learning. Professors, well-versed in theory and with a wealth of practical experience, are on hand to ensure that students receive the appropriate blend of theory and practice at the master's level.
The Lucerne School of Business offers the following services to students:
- Smart-Up aims to motivate students and encourage them to pursue their business ideas, put them into practice and establish their own start-up. Entrepreneurial students can receive support in the form of one-on-one coaching and advice, being paired with other students and external stakeholders, and through workshops, events and infrastructure.
- The University's Careers Service provides students with a range of activities and offers as they make the transition into a new career or plan their career path. These include mentoring or peer programs, recruitment fairs or initial contact meetings. The Careers Service works with external partners to offer solutions that are tailored to the needs of students.
- The Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts' Language Centre offers language tuition that goes beyond the prescribed contents of the degree programs and fosters an international outlook. The tuition provided by the University takes into account the growing importance of language skills in our increasingly mobile society.
The Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts in partnership with the University of Lucerne and the University of Teacher Education Lucerne offers interdisciplinary studies that are of general interest. These Interdisciplinary Learning Programmes (ISA) address a wide range of cultural, economic, technical, legal, political and ethical themes. They are taught as modules and the content is designed to encourage interdisciplinary collaboration and broaden the student’s horizons.
About the School
The Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts is a university of applied sciences that is supported by the six cantons of Central Switzerland. With 6,500 students attending bachelor's and master ... Read More