The master of science in product development is a leadership program for experienced engineers and technical specialists who aspire to high-level positions associated with product innovation. The program integrates business and engineering management courses, delivering them in online or on-campus where students continue to work while taking classes.
New products and services are the lifeblood of today's high technology firms, and companies need more technically grounded leaders to drive the engine for business growth. The MS in product development integrates business and engineering courses consistent with cross-functional, end-to-end product development and the systems perspective critical to conceive, create, launch, and support today’s complex product portfolios. Participants acquire the foundation skills and strategic perspective necessary to become future leaders and senior managers responsible for driving business growth through new products and services. In short, the product development program prepares today’s technical experts for successful careers as project leaders and technically grounded senior managers of their enterprises.
To stay on the cutting edge, the program was designed by academic and industry leaders to integrate formal education with state-of-the-art research and best practices from industry. It includes a year-long capstone project that generates significant return-on-investment to sponsoring organizations. Electives and the capstone project provide flexibility to tailor the program's content to specific learning objectives of students and sponsoring organizations. The program is offered fully online or as a blend of online and on-campus courses. Students may start any term (fall, spring, summer) and complete courses at their own pace.
Most students are sponsored by an employer who is committed to improving leadership capabilities in product development. Sponsorship includes financial support and a commitment to work with the student to provide clear expectations and a well-articulated career development plan that builds upon the program. Candidates are welcome to sponsor themselves.
Product development, MS degree
- ISEE-781 Excellence in New Product Development
- ISEE-771 Engineering of Systems I
- ISEE-772 Engineering of Systems II
- ISEE-751 Decision and Risk-Benefit Analysis
- Choose one of the following:
- ISEE-750 Systems and Project Management (summer)
- BUSI-710 Project Management
- ACCT-603 Accounting for Decision Makers (summer)
- MKTG-761 Marketing Concepts and Commercialization
- DECS-743 Operations and Supply Chain Management
- ISEE-798 MPD Capstone II
- Engineering or Business Elective
To be considered for admission to the MS program in product development, candidates must fulfill the following requirements:
- Complete a graduate application,
- Hold a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent) in engineering (or a related scientific or technical field),
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0,
- Have at least two years of experience in product development or a related business environment,
- Submit official transcripts (in English) of all previously completed undergraduate and graduate course work,
- Submit one professional recommendation, and
- Submit a current resume.
Exceptions may be considered on a case-by-case basis. No graduate entrance exam is required, although candidates are welcome to support their application with results from the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and students may begin the program in any semester.
About the School
With more than 80 graduate programs in high-paying, in-demand fields and scholarships, assistantships and fellowships available, we invite you to take a closer look at RIT. Don't be fooled by the word ... Read More