Since the winter semester 2011/12 the Faculty of Biology has offered the Master of Science in "Cell Biology and Physiology". In the winter semester 2015/16, this was reissued as new Master of Science in "Physical Biology of Cells and Cell Interactions".
The two-year Master's program Physical Biology of Cells and Cell Interactions is research-oriented and educates students in modern concepts and methods of cell biology and physical biology. Scientific questions in the fields of cell biology and physical biology will be combined with developmental biology, cellular structure biology, bioinformatics, biochemistry, immunology, neuro-and plant physiology.
The Master's program provides students with an understanding of fundamental life processes from cell growth, cell-cell communication and differentiation to hormonal, inflammatory, angiogenic signaling and aging. These processes are studied in context of cells, individual tissues and model organisms. The experimental and conceptual approaches of the program include modern cell biological, molecular, biochemical, bioinformatical, immunological and genetic methods, combined with various microscopical techniques and applications, molecular imaging, data analysis as well as morphological and physiological technologies.
- B.A. in the same or a related subject, or at least an equivalent degree from another university of applied sciences in the same or similar subject, or a Master’s degree at another university that has not been passed and the examination claim has not been forfeited;
- Letter of motivation in English language + grade of Bachelor's degree (The letter of motivation should not exceed two pages in length. Fontsize should be 12pt, 1.5 line spacing ). It should contain:
1. What is your motivation to study in the Master program Physical Biology of Cells and Cell Interactions?
2. In which topics, scientific fields of the program are you mainly interested in?
3. What are your previous practical experiences in the lab (lab work) / professional experiences?
4. Which aims do you follow with the study program, what are your occupational career plans?
5. Title and summary of your bachelor thesis?
6. Which experimental methods did you perform in your bachelor thesis?
Proof of English language skills: If you are not a native speaker have to provide a proof of sufficient knowledge of the English language on C1 level - at least B2 level - of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, e.g.:
A certificate of proficiency which was issued by the relevant departments on the basis of a written in English thesis is also suitable
Applicants with a minimum one-year study or work stay in an English speaking country within the last three years before application are excepted.
Provisional admission is possible if the Bachelor’s program has not yet been completed; this requires a transcript of records stating at least 80% of the required for the bachelor's degree CP. In case the required degree has not been awarded by the time of application, you can still apply if you provide:
- Proof of matriculation
- A detailed certificate of the present status of your studies and the anticipated date of completion of the Bachelor's program.
Mode of admission
Admission is restricted.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 26, 2018