Aichi Prefectural University can trace its origins back to Aichi Prefectural Women’s Special College, which was founded in 1947. It was established following the end of the Second World War when the residents of Aichi Prefecture wanted to recover from a period of confusion. This Women’s Special College was composed of only two departments: the Department of Japanese Literature and the Department of English Literature. At some time after that, the Special College was reorganized into the Women’s Junior College. Then, in 1957, Aichi Prefectural Women’s College, which offered a four-year course, was opened. Both of these colleges, as prestigious institutes of women’s higher education in the Chubu region, were committed to promoting competent individuals. Nine years later, in 1966, Aichi Prefectural University, a co-educational institution, was established. At that time, the university was organized into three schools (the School of Literature, the School of Foreign Studies, and the School of Foreign Studies II), and nine departments.