MSc in Materials Science programme develops research skills, deep theoretical and experimental knowledge of material composition and improvement of their characteristics, knowledge of methodology and technique for technological measurements of materials, processing, and analysis of experimental results, knowledge of the application of high technologies (micro- and nanotechnologies) in materials science.
The programme combines fundamental and engineering studies and enables the graduates to create and apply functional materials and technologies of their production.
The Master+ model offers either to a masterpiece in the chosen discipline by choosing the Field Expert track or to strengthen the interdisciplinary skills by choosing the Interdisciplinary Expert track emphasising managerial skills or a choice of a different competence to compliment the chosen discipline and achieve a competitive advantage in one’s career.
Internationally recognised research
KTU research in materials science is recognised internationally, and the research outcomes are applied in industry, e.g. to create scales for precision laser measurement systems.
Cooperation with international organizations
KTU cooperates with leading international organisations: Inter-Academia, Federation of European Materials Society, Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials, etc.
Master+ model offers either to a masterpiece in the specialisation or to strengthen managerial/interdisciplinary skills by choosing an individual set of competencies required for a career.
– Has deep various theoretical knowledge of material composition and improvement of their properties, knowledge of methodology and technique for technological measurements of materials, knowledge of processing and analysis of experimental results, thorough methodological knowledge on composing, creation and research of mew materials.
– Is competent to define, assess and forecast the trends and prospects of development of materials science and impact of technologies on the environment, apply high technologies (micro and nano technologies).
– Is competent to apply modern methods and instruments of surface engineering, micro and nano technologies, functional (optical, electrical, magnetic) materials used, form micro and nano structure, and use or develop devices.
– Has skills of management, negotiations and leadership, takes responsibility for the quality of his/her activities and that of his/her subordinate employees, quality assessment and performance improvement based on professional ethics, technological engineering operating standards and citizenship.
– Has very good knowledge of project management and business aspects, understands links between technological solutions and their economic effects.
– Able to make technological solutions and solve atypical, undefined and incomplete problems, is able to define, analyse and solve problems of development of materials science, scientific research, technological processes and environmental protection.
– Able to assess, model and forecast material structure, composition and properties applying analytical and numerical methods, including mathematical analysis, computational modelling or experiments for assessment, modelling and forecast of structure, composition and properties of functional materials, to select or develop functional materials with optimal properties for various engineering properties.
– Able to select of develop materials with optimal properties, able to apply innovative methods to solve various engineering problems.
– Able to apply acquired knowledge and latest achievements of materials science to select and develop various materials with optimal or required properties, to solve engineering problems using modern technological equipment and formation principles.
– Able to plan, perform analytical, modelling or applied research and introduce their results in the processes of material processing, to analyse applicability of new or newly occurring high technologies, methods of instrumental analysis in solving of various engineering problems.
Tomas Tamulevičius, KTU Institute of Materials Science, Junior Researcher
University provides wide possibilities for scientific self-expression, which motivates a consistent pursuit of a career. The world constantly presents new challenges, which can be met only by the creation of innovative materials, distinguished by new characteristics. Today I can say that it was a right choice and the knowledge, acquired during studies, is very useful at work, which requires constant learning.
|Proficiency in English|
IELTS ≥6.0, TOEFL ≥85, CEFR ≥C1, or equivalent
|University Bachelor degree certificate|
Undergraduate diploma (or higher) with min. length of 180 ECTS (3 years of studies) is eligible.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Russian.
The documents must be legalised (Apostille) by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the documents were issued. This requirement does not apply for the documents issued in the EU and Belarus, Ukraine.
Average grade (CGPA) > 60 %
For more information of this programme, please visit their web page here.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 5, 2018