Students in WPI’s master of science in innovation with user experience (IUX) program will learn to create, design, evaluate, improve, and generate innovative products and services that help organizations elevate their goals, meet their consumers’ needs, and increase their market share.
As a student in WPI’s innovation with user experience MS program, you’ll gain fluency in the scope of technology, business, and design to give consumers the best user experience possible by capturing technology and innovation. The business and industry expertise in the Foisie Business School and the technological and scientific resources of the university provide valuable collaborations to give students a distinct edge.
Using the latest technology (such as eye-tracking) while understanding the value of innovation, students learn how to refine the way users interact with technology, evaluate their methods, and develop new strategies for market competition. Because technology has an increasing role in consumers’ daily lives, creating a positive and memorable experience is crucial for organizations to maintain a competitive edge in the marketplace.
Using a carefully selected plan of study, your coursework in UX design, research, and application skills gives you a foundation from which to develop and execute the best user experience. Coursework in marketing, business, and finance gives students a broader picture from which to formulate an effective user experience. IUX students will also use elements of quantitative and qualitative analyses such as analytics, surveys, and observations. Merging myriad approaches allows students the big-picture view that adds value to the consumer experience and to the organizations’ bottom line.
Plan of Study
Students in the MS in innovation with user experience program must complete nine required courses including the following five core courses:
- UX design
- UX research methods
- UX applications
- Business intelligence
Marketing, choose two from the following list:
- Marketing management
- Consumer behavior
- Data mining business applications
Business, choose one from the following list:
- Group and interpersonal dynamics in complex organizations
Finance, choose one from the following list:
- Financial information and management
- Financial intelligence for strategic decision making
Students will take three electives from the following list:
- System design and development
- UX research project I (Advisor approval is required)
- UX research project II (Advisor approval is required)
- Game design studio
- Design of interactive experiences
Any of the above marketing, business, or finance core courses not taken for the core requirement
- Entrepreneurship and innovation
- Technology commercialization: theory, strategy, and practice
- Modeling and optimizing processes
- Health system model
- Digital marketing
- Marketing research
- Social media marketing
- Internship (no more than 3 credits)
- Introduction to programming concepts, data structures, and algorithms
- Applied statistics for engineers and scientists
- Introduction to data science
- Statistical methods for data science
- Mobile and ubiquitous computing
- Human-computer interaction
- Data visualization
WPI’s User Experience and Decision Making Laboratory brings leading-edge UX technology to students. Using methods such as observation and physiological measuring (e.g., eye tracking), you’ll learn about the entire user experience. Collaborations between industry leaders and academic researchers invite further innovation from different perspectives and approaches. IUX research focuses on how to improve human-technology interaction using innovation and a comprehensive approach. WPI’s research integrates features such as design or information processing behavior using state-of-the-art eye-tracking devices. Understanding the correlation between user experience and the value and success of a product is essential for future IUX leaders.
WPI has IUX ongoing research in various areas such as web and mobile technologies, eye tracking and neuro Information systems (NeuroIS), and decision support systems (DSS).
Resources for International Students
The International House provides ongoing programs and essential services to assist, guide, and support international students and scholars in their transition to U.S. society and academic culture.
A technology-centric world needs business-savvy professionals
The Foisie Business School graduate admissions team will help you find the right degree program for your career goals, guide you through the application process, and, if you are admitted, assure you are on the right track for success.
WPI generally attracts candidates with backgrounds in engineering, science, and information technology, but many of our graduate business students are also marketers, entrepreneurs, researchers, financial managers, and medical practitioners. Whatever your focus when you come in, you will leave with a keen business sense for a technology-centric world. WPI graduate business students are bright, hardworking, committed individuals from across the globe and industry spectrum.
WPI is accepting applications for fall 2019. Scholarships are available.
The following application deadlines apply:
- For U.S. applicants - July 15 (fall) / December 15 (spring)
- For International applicants - June 15 (fall) / November 6 (spring)
- For Ph.D. applicants - February 1 (fall)
After the deadlines have passed, applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Required testing information
Any international applicant seeking to attend WPI on an F-1 Student Visa must submit official TOEFL scores or IELTS scores. However, if applicants have two years of continuous full-time college study completed within the last five years, in a country whose official language is English, he or she can apply for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver by contacting an admissions counselor.
While WPI requires a minimum TOEFL score of 84, the Foisie School of Business requires a minimum TOEFL score of 90 or IELTS score of 7. The Foisie School of Business requires a GMAT score of 500 or its equivalent on the GRE. There are no minimum GRE scores, but the average for admitted students over the past three years has been 150 verbal, 165 quantitative, and 3.0 analytical.
- Department/Program: Foisie School of Business
- Online Application Submission Deadline: International applicants should apply by Jun 15 for fall and Nov 6 for spring. Domestic applicants should apply by Jul 15 for fall and Dec 15 for spring. Decisions are made on a rolling basis.
- All Credentials Deadline: We recommend completing your application within 15-30 days of submission. An interview may be offered once all credentials have arrived.
- Official transcripts for all post-secondary colleges or universities: Required
- Application fee of $70: Required
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of professional recommendation from individuals who can comment on your qualifications for pursuing graduate study are required. Please invite your recommenders to submit their letters electronically via the online application. Academically qualified recommendations may be submitted, as needed.
- GRE: GMAT or GRE scores are required; waivers could be available for WPI alumni who have achieved a 3.0 GPA or higher and may be waived for applications with special circumstances.
- Statement of Purpose: Required; a resume is also required.
- Video Essay: Required: Online video interview, completed at your convenience.
About the School
Worcester Polytechnic Institute was founded in 1865 to create and convey the latest science and engineering knowledge in ways that are most beneficial to society. Today, WPI holds firm to its founding ... Read More