At South University Montgomery, the Master of Science in Information Systems program is built to be a technology-focused degree that teaches you how to manage information and technology in the modern age of information. Offered in our new Online + On Campus learning format, you will have the opportunity to learn alongside your peers while still having the capacity to meet the demands you face as a professional. The first week of the quarter is spent in the classroom, getting to know classmates and faculty, followed by an alternating schedule of one week online and one week on campus.
Whether your background is primarily in business or technology, this Information Systems program can prepare you to seek career enhancement and leadership opportunities. The curriculum covers key technology areas like information systems in converged networks, modern software development methodologies, business intelligence, governance, information security, and emerging technologies.
Upon completion of the Master of Science in Information Systems degree program, graduates should be able to demonstrate skills including:
- Understand how information systems impact business operations and decision making and demonstrate an ability to design, develop, analyze, and modify information systems to meet specific business needs.
- Communicate clearly, both orally and in writing, an understanding of methodologies to identify, assess, and implement information systems.
- Demonstrate discipline-specific knowledge in the following areas: business intelligence, data management, information systems management, information security and risk management, and project management.
South University's master's degree in Information Systems can prepare you for a career in, or advancement within, a wide range of positions, including:
- Computer and Information Systems Managers
- Computer and Information Research Scientists
- Software Developers, Systems Software
- Software Quality Assurance Engineers and Testers
- Web Administrators
- Geospatial Information Scientists and Technologists
- Geographic Information Systems Technicians
- Database Architects
- Data Warehousing Specialists
- Business Intelligence Analysts
- Search Marketing Strategists
- Document Management Specialists
Master of Science in Information Systems: 48 Credits
Foundation of Business Courses (Choose 1): 4 Credits
- LEA5125 Leadership Ethics, Culture, and Politics, 4 Credit Hours
- MBA5001 Organizational Behavior and Communication, 4 Credit Hours
- MBA5004 Managerial Economics, 4 Credit Hours
- MBA5005 Law and Ethics for Managers, 4 Credit Hours
- MBA5008 Quantitative Analysis and Decision Making, 4 Credit Hours
Foundation Information Systems and Technology: 8 Credits
- MIS5020 Information Systems Fundamentals, 4 Credit Hours
- MIS5030 Emerging Technologies, 4 Credit Hours
Core: 28 Credits
- MIS6000 Principles of System Development, 4 Credit Hours
- MIS6010 Project Management, 4 Credit Hours
- MIS6020 Corporate Information Systems Management, 4 Credit Hours
- MIS6210 Decision Support Systems, 4 Credit Hours
- MIS6211 Data Management, 4 Credit Hours
- MIS6230 IT Audit, Control, and Compliance, 4 Credit Hours
- MIS6250 Organizational Information Security, 4 Credit Hours
Elective (Choose 1): 4 Credits
- MIS6160 Information Design and Usability, 4 Credit Hours
- MIS6161 Human-Computer Interaction, 4 Credit Hours
- MIS6212 Cognitive Computing, 4 Credit Hours
- MIS6231 Risk Management, 4 Credit Hours
- MIS6262 Network Operations Management, 4 Credit Hours
- MIS6990 Information Systems Internship, 4 Credit Hours
Capstone: 4 Credits
- MIS6995 Information Systems Capstone, 4 Credit Hours
South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
Haven’t experienced online learning before or wondering what it’s like to earn your degree online at South University? While the mode of learning is different from the traditional classroom experience with added convenience and flexibility, we hold the same high standards of academic excellence in the online classroom.
South University’s online programs combine a curriculum designed for student outcomes and a classroom designed for flexibility and engagement. Our online classroom learning platform, Brightspace, provides you with a host of features to enhance your learning experience, including:
- Advanced media content
- Personalized navigation
- Simplified online learning atmosphere
- Access to digital books
- Emailing and instant messaging options
We provide more than just an online classroom, bringing a range of campus experiences and services online. In addition, the online classroom is accessible on the go via mobile devices and with tools like the Pulse App. Pulse helps you stay connected and on track with your course by providing a number of features such as course calendars, readings and assignments, feedback and grades, and announcements.
How to apply
We make the application process as smooth as possible so you can start earning your degree right away. Our admissions representatives will guide you through our three-step process.
- To get started, call 888-444-3404, to speak with an Admissions Representative or fill out our request information form.
- An admissions representative will review our degree programs with you, give you an overview of the admissions process, and help you complete the application process. You can take a guided tour of our campus or a virtual tour online. Apply Now
- A Finance Counselor will work with you to discuss options and qualifications and to develop a payment plan that works for you. Programs with alternative application procedures.
2020-21 Starting Dates
About the School
South University provides a warm, supportive learning environment that will encourage you to engage with a community of faculty, staff, and students eager to play a role in helping you achieve your ed ... Read More