The Information Systems (IS) track in the Master's programme Information Studies is designed to give you the tools to analyse and create systems for the supply, storage and communication of information. IS is based on intelligent communication between humans and information systems.
Information Systems is for you if:
- you are interested in the ways people interact with (new) technology and media, and how they are supported, hampered and influenced by them
- you want to analyse systems for the supply, storage and communication of information
- you want to make connections between the people responsible for developing technological solutions and corporate management
- you want to translate user demands into innovative solutions
The programme examines subjects such as:
- media & sensor technology
- intelligent interactive systems
- system dynamics
- information retrieval
- semantic web technology
- privacy and ethical aspects in complex systems
- innovation & design thinking
- cognitive tools
The University of Amsterdam is ideally suited to research these subjects. The city of Amsterdam is located in one of the most important European centres in the area of ICT and new media and it offers an environment of unrivalled innovation.
Graduates work in a wide range of industries and public institutions, both inside and outside of the ICT sector. They take on positions as consultants, analysts, designers or ICT project coordinators or programme managers. Specific examples include becoming an e-business architect at an international consultancy firm, a web editor at a broadcasting company or an ICT manager at a museum.
Graduates typically have jobs in which they play a liaison role between ICT and non-ICT people: they speak both ‘languages’. There is an enormous demand for such people. Graduates can also pursue careers as scientific researchers.
The Amsterdam region is one of the most important European centres when it comes to ICT and new media. Companies such as Fabchannel, IlseMedia, and MediaRepublic are all examples of innovative businesses that help shape teaching programmes and offer employment to graduated Master's students. Amsterdam and its surrounding area have plenty to offer in terms of career opportunities.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 11, 2018