The Global Management (GM) / CEMS programme prepares ambitious students for a career in influential positions in international organisations. A driven student community, close collaboration with CEMS corporate and social partners and an exchange semester provide a strong foundation for students to develop a global mindset and gain leadership skills. Graduates become members of a truly global and lifelong CEMS network comprising over 14,400 alumni and 108 different nationalities, working at some of the world’s leading companies in over 75 countries.
Objectives of studies
In today’s rapidly changing business environment, analytical yet empathic leadership is a prerequisite for success. The Global Management programme equips students with the knowledge, skills and competencies required to navigate international markets. Global Management graduates have:
- International competence. Graduates are able to make effective business decisions and adjust their management style to fit international and diverse environments.
- Business-savvy. Graduates have experience in applying academic knowledge to practical business challenges, developed through systematic experience and engagement with the corporate world.
- Strong values. Graduates have a broad vision for responsible decision-making in business and leadership, informed by ethical reasoning, personal integrity, and respect for social diversity.
- Ability to reflect and think critically. Graduates are open-minded problem-solving and agile decision-making, with an ability to develop and apply innovative solutions to complex business challenges.
- Capability for holistic Leadership. Graduates have a comprehensive understanding of personal responsibilities, accountability and the ethical and cultural frameworks in which leadership is applied.
Upon graduation from the Global Management programme, graduates will have world-class knowledge and the skill set to lead organisations towards international success.
The language of instruction is English.
Scholarships and Tuition fees
The tuition fee is €15 000 per academic year for non-EU/EEA citizens.
Prospective students subject to tuition fees are eligible to apply for the Aalto University Scholarship.
Structure of studies
The Global Management programme is organised by the School of Business and comprises a total of 120 ECTS credits. The two-year programme consists of:
- An area of specialisation with a Master’s thesis.
- CEMS MIM studies conducted at Aalto University.
- CEMS MIM studies conducted abroad at another top-ranked CEMS school during an exchange term.
In order to obtain the CEMS MIM diploma, students need to also complete an international internship and fulfil the CEMS MIM language requirements.
At the beginning of their studies, students define their Personal Study Plans (PSP) together with an academic advisor. The primary purpose of the PSP is to ensure that the studies support the student’s interests and are completed in a logical order.
Personal Study Plan (PSP)
Personal Study Plan (PSP) is a practical tool to define a student’s own study path, i.e. compiling an optimal selection of courses, aligned with the student's interests and programme requirements. PSP is also a useful tool for keeping up with studies. At best, it shows the stage at which students are with their studies and sets concrete milestones for them to follow.
Content of studies
The GM/CEMS programme is based on cutting-edge academic knowledge and practical real-life cases.
First year of studies
In Year 1, students complete a set of courses and carry out their Master’s thesis work in a chosen specialisation area in one of the following fields:
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management
- Management and International Business
To start out the year, students also participate in a Leadership and Self-development course that brings together the first year Global Management cohort and students in their CEMS MIM year.
Second year of studies
Year 2 consists of CEMS MIM, which follows the common CEMS curricular content in place in all member schools. Students spend one semester at Aalto and the other abroad at another CEMS school. The CEMS MIM studies include:
- Exclusive curriculum elements in deep collaboration with CEMS Corporate and Social partners, such as Block Seminar, Business Project and the Global Strategy and Global Management Practices courses.
- A wide selection of CEMS electives from the rich Aalto course portfolio.
- Unique Aalto CEMS courses aimed to e.g. enhance communication and presentation skills and to introduce students to consultancy work.
Examples of the wide course selection
- CEMS Leadership and Self-development (3 ECTS)
- Capstone: CEMS Global Strategy (6 ECTS)
- Sustainable Entrepreneurship (6 ECTS)
- Corporate Financial Management (6 ECTS)
- Meet the Stage: Public Speaking and Interaction Skills (6 ECTS)
- User Inspired Design Knowing (6 ECTS)
Further study options
The programme grants eligibility for doctoral studies.
CEMS MIM is a truly global programme in which the 32 member schools select the best talent from around the world from diverse backgrounds. Completing an international internship, carrying out the CEMS exchange term and entering the global CEMS alumni network fundamentally equip students for future global career opportunities.
Aalto University is international by nature, welcoming thousands of degree and exchange students from abroad each year. These students join the diverse Aalto community not only through studies, but also multiple free time events, activities and celebrations around the campus. Programme administrators, active student tutors and student support services work rigorously to help international students integrate into the Nordic culture and feel at home in Finland.
CEMS studies bring together students from various backgrounds with diverse interests.
Aalto University is well-known for bridging disciplines of business, arts, technology and science. The lively campus brings students from different fields under one roof. This spontaneous multidisciplinary environment sparks new ideas gathers enthusiasts around them and gives birth to friendships, networks, and every so often, startups.
CEMS graduates are highly sought after by international companies: according to a 2017 graduate survey, 98 per cent of CEMS graduates are employed within 3 months of graduation. Almost half of them work outside their home country and approximately 40 per cent currently work for a CEMS Corporate Partner.
Aalto University has well-established career services through which you can get employed in Finland and abroad. Aalto students tend to find good positions with ease upon their graduation. An active entrepreneurship community is also present at Aalto, which can help as a springboard for founding your company. Finally, if an academic career is of interest, the Master’s programme in Global Management is a great foundation for doctoral studies and post-doc positions.
About the School
At Aalto University, we believe in curiosity and we encourage our students to explore the unknown and do things in a totally new way. We offer the highest level of education in business, art and desig ... Read More